• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ducati Introduces the Desmodromic Variable Timing Technology [Video][Photo Gallery]

VTEC is just variable valve timing. Desmodromic (sp?) valve systems use a pair of cams to open and close each valve, so no valve springs and no chance of ever floating valves or having them hit a piston. It would seem Ducati had added that variable aspect of things to it's Desmo valve system. Ducati is the only engine builder I know that uses a Desmodromic valve system.

Last edited:
My parents next door neighbor just explained the Ducati valve train to me about two weeks ago (he has a Ducati). I thought it was genuis. I wonder why no one else has done it?

Let's hope we never see the direct injection. There are so many problems with that system in the automotive application. Without fuel spaying on the back of the intake valves they collect contaminants that collect on the back of the valve and will eventually cause the valve to stop working. Some of the import engines are fixing this by adding an additional fuel injector on the throttle body. Really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Engines without the addition injector have to have the intake valve cleaned often as regular maintaince.

My parents next door neighbor just explained the Ducati valve train to me about two weeks ago (he has a Ducati). I thought it was genuis. I wonder why no one else has done it?

Too expansive to produce and no more interesting for hight RPM regarding current valve spring quality. In addition : hard to adjust!

Back