• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

take off that camera of your helmet !!!!!!

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know how many of you have follow the Michael Shumacher story.--- formula car champion

the short story version: he was skiing and had a mayor accident and injured his head even with a helmet on. this gave him a coma and barely waking and now possible to be disable in one way of other FOREVER - yes skiing--- slower then riding a motorcycle or formula car.

i have posted this in many other post i will do it again

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...-slowly-gopro-mounting-injured-him-87614.html

IT WAS THE CAMERA MOUNT that cause the injury, the mount prevented the helmet from distributing the impact like it is suppose to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl3br1PJ5-g

good luck, dont risk your head

We all take risks. I grew up on skis, never once wore a helmet. At the end of the day it's all just one big crap shoot, and I'm not about to go out and peel the camera mounts off my helmets because Shumacher had some bad luck.

The way I read it his son made the statement and he likely has the input of doctors and others.

Regardless the camera is not something the helmet manufacturer intended and does add some level of risk. OK to hear the concern without discounting it. Also OK to make your own personal decision on your camera and helmet.

Thanks for the heads up Mreric.

We all take risks. I grew up on skis, never once wore a helmet. At the end of the day it's all just one big crap shoot, and I'm not about to go out and peel the camera mounts off my helmets because Shumacher had some bad luck.

that right we all take risk, the act of riding a motorcycle is a risk, but we do it because the fun it give you in return is enough for you to take the risk .

the camera on you helmet could take your life. you do have choice of placing the camera somewhere else. still have video. you got a helmet for protection? or because the law makes you wear one?

I'm in the camp of everyone should be able to make their own decisions. I think riding without a helmet STUPID but I think if you want to be stupid, you should be able.
I also think seat belt laws are stupid, but I wear one and would even without a stupid law to tell me to.

The camera is usually mounted to the helmet with a sponge adhesive that would rip off of any helmet on impact. Unless the camera is mounted somehow solid to the helmet, not like advised by the camera manufacture, the camera is always a rip away. That is why you have to use a tether.

I think the reports are pretty speculative. People fall and suffer brain injuries despite wearing ski and bicycle helmets all the time. Motorcycle helmets are much better than ski or bicycle helmets, and the survivable impact velocities are not that different. More sliding velocity though.

Neither a motorcycle or bicycle helmet are designed for flying off your bike into a wall. They are designed for falling off your bike. A motorcycle helmet is designed to skid down the road better, and people are willing to wear a much thicker, heavier moto helmet. The velocity of head towards ground is not that different. A ski helmet is almost exactly the same as a bicycle helmet.

The reports are that the helmet shattered apart. I see this all the time in bicycle helmets, which are very similar to ski helmets. I doubt that the gopro mount was the cause. If some lab testing can prove otherwise, then the proof is in the pudding. I've seen dozens of crashed bicycle helmets, and I've never seen one that looked like they do after the CPSC drop test. They're usually either fairly undamaged, or broken apart without much compression of the foam.

Best practice, probably shouldn't mount anything to your helmet, but I doubt it was the major cause of his injury in this case.

Last edited:
It makes some sense but camera should tear off upon impact.
Baking up the wrong tree in my opinion.
But you showed kindness in your advice, thanks.

I think the reports are pretty speculative. People fall and suffer brain injuries despite wearing ski and bicycle helmets all the time. Motorcycle helmets are much better than ski or bicycle helmets, and the survivable impact velocities are not that different. More sliding velocity though.

Neither a motorcycle or bicycle helmet are designed for flying off your bike into a wall. They are designed for falling off your bike. A motorcycle helmet is designed to skid down the road better, and people are willing to wear a much thicker, heavier moto helmet. The velocity of head towards ground is not that different. A ski helmet is almost exactly the same as a bicycle helmet.

The reports are that the helmet shattered apart. I see this all the time in bicycle helmets, which are very similar to ski helmets. I doubt that the gopro mount was the cause. If some lab testing can prove otherwise, then the proof is in the pudding. I've seen dozens of crashed bicycle helmets, and I've never seen one that looked like they do after the CPSC drop test. They're usually either fairly undamaged, or broken apart without much compression of the foam.

Best practice, probably shouldn't mount anything to your helmet, but I doubt it was the major cause of his injury in this case.
You are right . We just dont know enough. We are not engineers or scientists. But what we do know is helmet manufacturer and go pro themselve do not recommend you placing the mount on the helmet. So why risk it? Am just saying . There is many other place you can place this mount.

I can imagine if the mount does not break away during a hit. The mount would create a preasure point to the head and possibly prevent the equal distribution of force across the whole shelf.

There was speculation at the time of the accident that the helmet cam or the helmet itself contributed to the injuries. Then a few weeks later there was a report saying that the helmet & cam had not been to blame - the impact was so severe it would have split the helmet anyway.

Who knows though - there has been so much speculation on the case.

But what we do know is helmet manufacturer and go pro themselve do not recommend you placing the mount on the helmet. So why risk it? Am just saying . There is many other place you can place this mount.

I have used many camera mounts over the years and use the go pro every day. Go Pro not only recommends the helmet mounts, they sell them.

GoPro Helmet Mount.jpgGoPro Helmet Moung NVG.jpgGoPro Helmet Adhesive Mount.jpgGoPro Camera Tethers.jpgGoPro Smart Remote.jpg

I can see that if one was to bolt a camera to their helmet it would just about rip their head off. However, the Go Pro adhesive mounts are rip away mounts.

Using the Go Pro adhesive helmet mounts with the smart remote WiFi is the current safest way I have found to use any camera when on a motorcycle.

As companies like Sena are now coming out with the new Bluetooth cameras that can be used with your communication devices, I do believe the Bluetooth voice command cameras will be the safest cameras to use in the near future when on a motorcycle. Never take your eyes off the road for a second with the new voice command video Bluetooth cameras. The new Go Pro 4 is now Bluetooth, but I have not used it yet!

Last edited:
I do know that helmet manufacturers make it clear that we should not affix adhesives or other items to helmets. They most likely have a reason for that. I wondered about that aspect when I attached my Interphone module to my helmet. There could be lots of debate on this issue. Thanks for Mreric for bringing it to our attention. The warning is noted and we can all act on it or not as we see fit.

The fact that his helmet failed at the point of camera attachment is not speculation and is a strong indication it contributed to failure. Could he have been hurt without the camera? Sure he could have, but that is also speculation and there is no 100% way of knowing.

Yes GoPro only recommends their own helmet mounts, but also only recommends their own mount for anywhere else and Honda only recommends their own parts such as spark plugs.

Make your own decision, but denial there is ANY change in risk is false security.

Yes, attaching things to your helmet can probably only increase risk. I was just disputing the very certain tone of the reports with little to back them up.

Headline: "Report: Michael Schumacher's Brain Injury Caused by Helmet-Mounted GoPro" but facts are, Some guy from F1 said that on TV, as relayed from Schumacher's son. The actual investigators have only said they're looking at it as a possible cause.

I have used many camera mounts over the years and use the go pro every day. Go Pro not only recommends the helmet mounts, they sell them.

I can see that if one was to bolt a camera to their helmet it would just about rip their head off. However, the Go Pro adhesive mounts are rip away mounts.

Using the Go Pro adhesive helmet mounts with the smart remote WiFi is the current safest way I have found to use any camera when on a motorcycle.

As companies like Sena are now coming out with the new Bluetooth cameras that can be used with your communication devices, I do believe the Bluetooth voice command cameras will be the safest cameras to use in the near future when on a motorcycle. Never take your eyes off the road for a second with the new voice command video Bluetooth cameras. The new Go Pro 4 is now Bluetooth, but I have not used it yet!

The Safety of Helmet-mounted Cameras ? Phil's Thinking

^ here is what go pro had to say when they were asked about the safety of the mount. not only go pro but other camera manufacturer replies too. GOPRO HAVE NOT TESTED THIS. I would not trust that it will rip away like they think it would. we just dont know if it does, gopro does not know it is does. they also release liab from your injuries. trust that!!!

let use some common sense here. find a round ball made of foam- they sell them at craft stores. put a go pro mount on it. - now press at a 90 degree directly onto the mount. does it cause an indentation without the mount breaking away? now imagine if that was your head?

the mount will not rib away at a 90 degree, maybe at 45 or at 0 degree it will rip. anyone try to take the mount out ? is not easy...

if you have a camera mounted on mount it might break away with the mount. but what about the day you don't have the cam on ? the mount would still be on. think about the direct impact.

again, am just trying to give everyone head up about this. use your common sense. Dont get injured or die with something this silly, i could be careless about your death or injuries, i dont know you guys. but your family and friend would care.....

If someone tells me Condoms prevent HIV, i would wear one, and it does. and if we dont know enough about it, i just would not sleep with a stranger.

as for the go pro , we down know enough, i just would not use it on the helmet.

read a bit about how the other shell is suppose to work
http://www.araihelmet-europe.com/site/home/real-world-protection/helmet-technology/

Last edited:
Back