• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 Versys 650 - another NCX Challenger?

:eek: What a beauty! No offense to any likers or owners of the previous Versys's... er...Versyii...? lol, but egads, the old front end/headlight treatments just made me feel ill.

The styling on this one, daaaaaayum, I like, I like! :cool:

Would I trade for one, or would I have bought one instead of an NCX if they had been offered back then? Still 100% no. I got the NCX for exactly the reasons I did, for exactly the features it had, and the Versys, new or old, still does not possess them. As nice as it looks, or as great as it performs. ;)

I like the new look on the Versys. The stacked headlight always looked odd to me.

As far as who challenges who, it's going to depend on what you want from a bike. Efficiency and comfort, and especially DCT.. the NCX is great. But for carving up the mountain roads... the Versys is going to leave an NC like an ugly one-night stand. As similar as they look, they are really quite different rides.

I like the new look on the Versys. The stacked headlight always looked odd to me.

As far as who challenges who, it's going to depend on what you want from a bike. Efficiency and comfort, and especially DCT.. the NCX is great. But for carving up the mountain roads... the Versys is going to leave an NC like an ugly one-night stand. As similar as they look, they are really quite different rides.
I quite disagree but I guess it depends on the mountain roads you choose. The mountain roads I'm familiar with you are limited to less than 70 mph and most of the time the speeds are between 25 and 55 where the handling advantage of the NC tops the Versys and the latter has no great advantage. Rider skill would be the determining factor.

I looked at all the 650s for a couple of years before the NC700X came out in 2012. I rode the Versys twice and it's engine was a deal breaker for me. It is a coarse and unrefined mill. If Kawasaki did nothing to the engine from previous versions it's of no interest to me.

Last edited:
I like the new look of the versys. Kawasaki got a good design on her.
No dct to my knowledge.

I still would get the nc-x because I really like the dct.

ken

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my ncx and ride it daily. I aint going to trade it for anything. But you gotta be excited that there are more and more great looking mid weight bikes with performance to boot. The competition will only bring better products to the market. Can you imagine what the 2017 ncx will be like?

Last edited:
If it got the same mpg as the NC, you could go along way on a 5.5 gl. tank!

Only negative with that is all that fuel really sloshes around sitting way up high.

It looks a lot like a Triumph tiger
c9b56f98cf018fa2a21a4f67adb61418.jpg

Anybody else notice the knobs on front of the windshield? Looks to be adjustable for height at least. It checks a lot of boxes for me- if it had 5.5 gallons under the seat and a frunk up top, I'd be in big trouble with the wife shortly.

I don't think any manufacturer is "gunning" for the NC. The NC fits a bill no other company is even trying to fulfill. The NC is a full size do anything well but not the best at anything - ECONOMY bike. That is what the NC is all about.

I'm not seeing anything drastically different from when the versys came out in '08. I think the NC was Honda's attempt to make something a bit different in the category of the versys, f650, wee strom, etc. Frunk adds much practicality, low service costs, car engine design should mean good long term reliability. Power under the A2 restriction, with enough torque to have good pickup. It's less of a toy, more of a daily rider than other bikes in the category. Has anyone seen any changes in the same direction from the other brands?

I am going to buy something from this Kawasaki.

If it makes it's way to the US with this part the same as in the picture, and there is even the slightest chance I can splice in the wires together:

proper turn and horn buttons.jpg

Die, upside down Honda turn/horn buttons. Die, die, die.

Back