• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Time for new riding boots...What is your go to boot for Extreme All Weather riding?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Sidi On Roads have pretty much given up the ghost after almost 10 years and a couple of hundred thousand miles. Before I drop $350+ on a new pair I would like to know what the extreme all weather riders are currently sticking their toes into.

Likes about the Sidi:
Gore Tex liner so they are completely waterproof. Fly fishing capable waterproof.
Easy on/off using velcro flaps
Last a pretty long time!
My foot fits ok in a 44 and leaves room for heated socks or UnderArmor socks
Crashed in them and they simply laughed at the asphalt.

Not so great:
Tall, not a problem on the GL1800 but the tops of the boots catch the foot pegs all the time when I'm backing up the NC
$350 !!
Heavy when clomping around off the bike
A bit Mad Max looking (or is that a like?)
One-piece welded sole (for waterproofing) means you can't really resole these when worn out (that is where I'm at now).

Anyway, I would like a lower boot, not so heavy, rainproof and around $200..

Thoughts?

TIA

I have a pair of Oxtar Matrix boots (now called TCX, I think) that have never leaked in the nine years I have owned them.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/matrix/

When they start to look dried out and scuffed I treat them with Doc Bailey's Leather Black:

https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

I bought them on closeout from Motorcyclegear.com when it was known as New Enough. They're somewhat smooth soled so I've looked over the years for boots with soles that have a little more bite. I haven't found any that I would pull the trigger on a purchase of. My local shoe repair (remember those?) has thin Vibram soles they can glue to the sole of boots when they wear out. Still thinking about that.
I crashed a bike in 2005 and I'm sure the Matrix boots saved me from a broken ankle.

Another review on ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514973

I'll stop now.

Last edited:
I have TCX Sportours that have been great for me over the last 2 years. Have kept my feet dry in some heavy rains.

Also consider the AeroMoto Rosso Waterproof Sport boot but if you have thick ankles it's not going to work for you. I just bought a pair and lots of bang for your buck with good protection.

53475_1.jpg

Alpinestars boots fit me really well so I tend to stick with them. I've worn a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex for the past 4 years and it's holding up pretty good. I am planning on picking up a pair of Alpinestars Scout WP for bad weather and long distance trips.

I have a pair of Alpinestar Ridge for everyday riding and a pair of Sidi Discovery Rain Boots for off-road riding. Each pair is waterproof and do their job quite well.

I had mine resoled after 50,000 miles. The liner on both boots wore out and Sidi replaced them with a brand new pair of boots. That's what I call customer service!

Would anyone want to suggest something for those of us with wide feet? The only manufacturer I know about is Tour Master.

extra large wellies with three pairs thermal socks only way to go if its really cold and wet, about ten quid at asda but you can get armoured wellies for about 15 if your worried about ankles,handy for getting straight of bike for that muddy/seaside walk too.

Go ahead and keep the "Mad Max" look. $350 over ten years amortizes out to $35 a year. If you like the boots and they worked well for you for 10 years, why not stay with what you already know? They sound like a quality boot.

This is my own personal favorite. They go on sale sometimes for $69. Jafrum.com has them HERE.
Buy at least 1/2 size smaller than normal. Boots need stretch/break in time, and these are no exception.
After an uncomfortable month or so, these boots now fit perfectly...very comfortable.
Motorcycle-Boots-MB1006BL-Black.JPG

extra large wellies with three pairs thermal socks only way to go if its really cold and wet, about ten quid at asda but you can get armoured wellies for about 15 if your worried about ankles,handy for getting straight of bike for that muddy/seaside walk too.

yep you can be proud even our Queen wears em!!

article-2142893-130A1C50000005DC-483_306x595.jpg

One last note, I promise. I rode about 95 miles to a vineyard in southern VT on Sunday to help a friend pick grapes. I had a pair of sneakers with me to put on if my boots proved to be too hot. I was wearing Under Amour Heat Gear knee socks. I was comfortable working and walking around all day with my Matrix boots on I didn't need to change.

The ride south was slow and boring with thick fog all the way down until the last few miles to my destination. The ride back was spectacular with Fall colors.

The ride south was slow and boring with thick fog all the way down until the last few miles to my destination. The ride back was spectacular with Fall colors.
VT in the fall...wow...beautiful country during it's most colorful season. Take a photo for us someday.

Back