• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants or Other High End Gear?

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm looking for some high end gear. The Klim Latitude jackets and pants seem like a good option. Basically looking for gear that will give me good flexibility, waterproof outer shell, warm in freezing temps and cool in the higher temps. When I'm on tour it would be nice to bring just on jacket and pants. I'm currently wearing Olympia gear and it's OK but the armour at times can get uncomfortable. I did try on some Klim gear today and it was very comfortable.

Suggestion?

It's old tech but I've been really happy with my Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 pc. Good gear costs money but blah blah blah. There is no bad weather just bad clothing blah blah blah. When I replace it I'll probably buy another one. I have some friends with Klim gear and I don't hear them complain about it.

I just got the Klim Overland jacket a couple of weeks ago. It is basically just an outer shell. The fit is boxy. That isn't just me saying that. If you look at many of the reviews, you will see the same. I would of gone with a smaller size but that would not of left enough rom in the shoulders for much underneath. With that said, I'm very pleased with it. The day after I bought it I went through a horrific storm. Cars were pulling off the interstate. I stayed dry. And with the venting, I stayed cool. My only regret is that I didn't buy the pants.

I've seen sales on one of Klim's more expensive line.

If at all possible, try it on first.

On my way through Minneapolis today I did stop in to a Klim dealer and tried on a Latitude jacket. I liked it but I'm kind of in a weird size slot. I tried on a large and it fit in the shoulder but was too large in the waist and the arms were long. They didn't have a medium to try on but and they said they could order and send it to me but I was afraid it I added layers that it may be too tight in the shoulders.

I never considered the Overland Jacket. I chatted with a Klim rep and he suggested the Latitude but never mentioned the Overland. Why did you choose it? What is the difference between the Overland and Latitude? When I was in the store the saleman was showing me a Klim jacket but I didn't catch the name. I asked him when what the difference was between "it" and the Latitude and he said the number of pockets and venting. Also said it was discontinued and could do a smoking deal on it. Wonder if it was an Overland?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting a Klim set up as well. I've got a Rev-it two piece mesh suit I use most of the year right now. Then a Tourmaster one piece during the winter. The Rev-it suit has been getting a lot of use and the insulated pants liner is failing at the crotch area. But I'm not in a rush to get a new suit, just been considering Klim for my next one.

I do like the looks of the Latitude.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The latitude missano is my dream suit. The missano part is important because it uses the lighter more flexible goretex which gives it a broken in (not stiff) feel. It vents fantastically making it an awesome warm weather suit as well as cold weather. I recently bought a roadcrafter light on a big sale ($550 shipped) and I like it, but still think I would love the latitude missano more

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After living with an inexpensive suit from cycle gear for a year, I splurged on klim, a rally adventure jacket (found it near new but used on ebay for $700 instead of $1500 new) and whatever the $650 pants are bot with new d30 armor. love it, no carrying extra rain gear, safe for road, comfy with vents, has provisions for Leatt neck brace that I always wear.

It's old tech but I've been really happy with my Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 pc. Good gear costs money but blah blah blah. There is no bad weather just bad clothing blah blah blah. When I replace it I'll probably buy another one. I have some friends with Klim gear and I don't hear them complain about it.

How does the Roadcrafter fair in the Hot weather... I purchased a Light Darian jacket in (2005) but sent it back in a week as was just too hot for SA and it was only in the 90s then.

I just got the Klim Overland jacket a couple of weeks ago. It is basically just an outer shell. The fit is boxy. That isn't just me saying that. If you look at many of the reviews, you will see the same. I would of gone with a smaller size but that would not of left enough rom in the shoulders for much underneath. With that said, I'm very pleased with it. The day after I bought it I went through a horrific storm. Cars were pulling off the interstate. I stayed dry. And with the venting, I stayed cool. My only regret is that I didn't buy the pants.

I've seen sales on one of Klim's more expensive line.

I also bought the Klim Overland jacket. Had it for about a year and a half. Your description about the rain performance is spot on - very good rain performance. I actually like the boxy fit because I wear a heated light jacket underneath it for cold weather riding. I highly recommend it.

I didn't get the pants though. I commute and needed rain-proof overpants with zippered sides so I can take it off easily and store in my frunk after I get to work. I got the Olympia Ranger 3 pants. Also 1.5 years ago and also still very happy with them.

So I'm looking for some high end gear. The Klim Latitude jackets and pants seem like a good option. Basically looking for gear that will give me good flexibility, waterproof outer shell, warm in freezing temps and cool in the higher temps. When I'm on tour it would be nice to bring just on jacket and pants. I'm currently wearing Olympia gear and it's OK but the armour at times can get uncomfortable. I did try on some Klim gear today and it was very comfortable.

Suggestion?

I recommend you check out Motoport (Motoport: An Evolution). I've had their Kevlar Mesh gear for the last few years and wouldn't trade it. It has the best abrasion/tear strength available - on a par with competition-grade racing leathers, and armor that far exceeds CE ratings. On the rare occasions when I've worn my previous Olympia air mesh gear, I feel practically naked. Each suit is custom tailored for a good fit, and it's also highly customizable in terms of color, reflectivity, pockets, armor, etc (for more $$ of course). But it's not a one-suit for all weather choice. I use a liner for colder weather, and heated liner for really cold weather, and a rain suit when needed to keep dry. But I still feel like I've got the best protection available, which for me is the most important.

Motoport Riding Gear 002.JPG

I'm a stitch man,they just never wear out. !!.
My Darien is 12 years old and has atleast 200,000 miles on it and is still 100% water proof ( if I wash and treat it once a year ).

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

So I'm looking for some high end gear...<big snip>.....
Suggestion?
I like Aerostich for a couple of reasons...
1. You can ride in to Duluth and get custom fitted.
2. You will never have to do the rain gear on, rain gear off dance on the side of road. There is no separate, removable rain proof liner. You put the gear on, and you don't worry about rain..
3. Their jacket, pants and suits can be refurbished. I sent in my 8 year old Darien Jacket and pants and for very short money they were refurbished: All worn Gore-Tex areas were replaced, new zippers, snaps, etc...I think I spent about $125 or so.
4. If you can't ride in, Aerostich does have roving bands of fitters traveling during the summer. This year they were in New Jersey, much closer to me up here in Maine than Duluth, MN. If you catch one of those traveling shows it would allow you the same custom fit as if you went to the factory.
5. The gear works: I've ridden from the Arctic Circle to Mexico and everywhere in between...Even did a high-speed interstate crash one night...
I would buy again in a heartbeat.

I like Aerostich for a couple of reasons...

5. The gear works: I've ridden from the Arctic Circle to Mexico and everywhere in between...Even did a high-speed interstate crash one night...
I would buy again in a heartbeat.

That's a pretty good plug for Aerostitch! Makes me want a suit.

I'm one of those people who don't believe higher cost means a higher quality and go for things that work and have lasted for me in the long run. However I don't mind paying for something that will in fact last the long haul. There are several "newer" brands that are touting they are the best and showing up more and more but I've had excellent experiences with the Firstgear Kilimanjaro line of jackets (one of the original brands of adventure gear) and as mentioned anything Aerostitch is top quality too, though you will pay for it.

A "lower" cost brand that simply works despite the cost are the Tourmaster Cortech line which I still can't figure out how the sell their stuff so cheap when it works so well. Things like zippers and such are definitely their weak point but for a full 1 piece "Roadcrafter" style suit at 1/4the price of Aerostich, I can afford to replace or repair it many times before it doesnt make financial sense. And I don't know about others but my physical shape isn't the same as it was 10 years ago so a jacket that lasts 20 years is sort of useless to me.

Kim is good, you won't find many negatives about them so I don't think you can go wrong with their stuff. There's another big brand I've been hearing about lately that I can't remember I'd check out. When I think of it, I'll edit my post.

Mike

How does the Roadcrafter fair in the Hot weather... I purchased a Light Darian jacket in (2005) but sent it back in a week as was just too hot for SA and it was only in the 90s then.
I live in Florida and wear the RC for about half the year and Tourmaster mesh the rest. What gets to me is the humidity trapped in solid textile or leather (I have a leather jacket I never wear). If it wasn't so humid most of the year I'd wear the Stich more because without the ability to efficiently evaporate sweat it's too hot too for me to wear over about 80-85 degrees F. Also the distance of the ride comes into play because if I'm moving constantly it vents trapped humidity better and I can wear it past 85 F if I'm not stopping very often. Over 95 degrees on long rides the situation reverses and the Stich is cooler compared to mesh. On my trip across the desert in July/August this year I wore the Stich comfortably in temps to 105 F but the humidity was very low. In high temps and low humidity I put a small bag of ice against my chest and zip it closed. Absolutely amazing how cool I was in temps over 100 for hours at a time.

On long trips the RC is so versatile for me it's worth putting up with the heat. Not having to stop for rain, not having to deal with rain gear or liners. One garment for everything nature dishes out. When it starts out hot and the temp starts dropping with a couple base layers and a Gerbing heated liner it's good down below 30 F.

Back