• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loosen drive chain/w/22mm's slack on 2014 'X' with <800 miles?

Flaferalcat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing my own first service as the service department at the place I bought my 2014 'X', (Ride-Now Ocala) thought it was an ATV when I tried to schedule an appointment... Anyway, looks good, sounds good, bolts tight, oil& filter changed to a Purolator, and Rotella T6..... but when I checked my chain as I'm used to doing, all the way around in several places it only has about 22mm slack. Up until I went bouncing along the dirt roads up to the cemetary last night it's felt fine, but I got a lil froggy, and the back felt a little tight. Not sure if I should let it ride because it's still new, or slacken it up 10mm's? Hmm... Thoughts?
Thanks...
Eric)

Slack it off, probably 1/4 to 1/2 turn off each adjuster nut will be plenty. Loosen the axle nut but leave the adjuster nuts and lock nuts alone and tight.

First, take a piece of broom stick or an old screwdriver handle or something similar diameter and place between the chain and sprocket on the bottom run of the chain. Now turn the rear wheel in a forward motion pull in and jam the broom handle against the sprocket. This action pulls the adjusters tight against the end of the swing arm when you loosen them. Do this when you slacken each adjuster nut off 1/4 turn and let the axle and wheel slide forward and add slack to the chain. Tighten the axle nut and check if 1/4 was enough to get MINIMUM 30 MM slack measured on the side stand.

Last edited:
OK it's loosened. WOW it's been awhile since I did a chain. Took it on a short bad dirt road hop, the rear felt better, more natural.
I already knew I'd have to loosen it, but was hoping someone would say it's ok to leave it... :D I went all OCD and did it 3 times, torqued twice and measured many dozen times before I trusted myself that I got it right...lol
Thanks!
Eric:)

Back