• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you dry clean your leathers?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't normally have trouble with my leather jacket. Leather pants are new to me. I don't have removable liners in any of my leather gear. Cleaning the outside is easy, but I'm wondering if I should take this stuff to the dry cleaner, just to get it thoroughly clean. Do any of you do that? Will the dry cleaning mess up the Schoeller Keprotec panels, or any of the armor? My leather jacket has hard armor sewn in-between leather layers, with soft armor underneath, so I am not able to remove it all. Thanks for your thoughts.

In the past twenty years I have cleaned my leather jacket maybe twice with saddle soap, and applied Langlitz (sp?) leather dressing maybe twice. Other than that, nada. Now the Cordura jacket? It get thrown in the washing machine once or twice a year and comes out quite nicely.

From the FAQ above:

As with leather, it is important that you do not allow dirt to build up on fabric garments, which over time may seep between the weave of the fabric and become very hard to remove. Dainese garments in fabric or with waterproof and breathable membranes such as D-Dry® o GORE TEX® should be washed in luke warm water (max. 30°C) with softener free, neutral soap, instead of detergents containing solvents and abrasives, unless otherwise indicated on the garment's label. When washing make sure you treat the outer fabric very delicately, excess rubbing may damage the fibres. It is best to remove padding and protections, close zips and Velcro's (this avoids their abrasive effect on the fabric or the internal netting). What's more it is important to remember to dry the garment in a dry place away from direct light and heat. Remember to take great care with garments made of several different materials. In this case, always and only follow the instructions on the garment label: the indications must be strictly observed. All technical fabrics, including elasticized versions, must always be given a very delicate cleaning treatment. In particular high-tech fibres with mechanical properties must be treated with softener free, neutral detergents. Softeners can significantly weaken the waterproof and oil-proof surface treatments and even damage the resin coatings and multi-purpose membranes in Polyurethane and based on Polytetrafluoroethylene (i.e. PTFE – Teflon) usually applied on the backing of the fabric.

And in the case of GoreTex or similar garments:

Washing Instructions - GORE-TEX® Products (but I'm not sure if they can be applied when they're attached to other fabrics...)

Some of what I've read state, "every three years". I would find a place who **knows** about motorcycle leather jackets though.

Perhaps I could have phrased the question is better. How about this:
Is there anything different about "motorcycle" leather vs. any other type of leather?

'Regular' leather I take to the dry cleaners (ones who clean leather specifically, not just any dry cleaner) if it needs 'extra' cleaning. Things like work boots, which I wear daily but which do not need to go to the dry cleaner, I care for with appropriate products and procedures. I do the same with leather jackets, including my motorcycle jacket. However, I would not appreciate my jacket smelling like my work boots. LOL! I also periodically feel like I need to address the fabrics inside the jacket, which I cannot remove.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I've used Saddle Soap and Leather Honey for years although I don't wear leathers anymore. When Febreeze came out I started using it a little on the armpit area. Best to hang the jacket where it came air out when not being used instead of throwing it on the couch.

All though the 70s I had a Lewis leather jacket( abit like a Vanson only much cheaper) I never once cleaned it,,it was great,,the leather smelled abit rich,,,but I wish I had it now..I gave up bikes around 82,,(when first wife got her claws in me) and my old jacket just shrank, curled up and died,and guess who threw it out!!!

Perhaps I could have phrased the question is better. How about this:
Is there anything different about "motorcycle" leather vs. any other type of leather?

As I know, the balsam etc. must not contain any softeners to allow the leather to retain its strength against abrasion.

And always follow the instructions on garment care label.

I live in England, it rains, often, my motorcycle and protective clothing get washed, often.

I need to dry clean my pirate bandanna and my Wolverine chops...

halloween__biker-chops-with-bandana.jpg

:cool:

Back