• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tighten the action on my front brake lever?

AdamW

Reaction score
Visit site
The recent thread on "brake cables" prompted me to finally ask about something I've been wondering about:

I want to tighten up the action on my front brake lever.

I got a nice inexpensive adjustable lever, but if I have it at the setting I find most comfortable, it's too close to the grip. That is, it hits the grip if I squeeze it all the way.

If this was a bicycle, I'd tighten the cable. I understand the NC brake system is hydraulic, but is there a way to adjust it that a mechanical idiot can handle?

Thanks!

Beyond changing levers, or adjusting your adjustable lever, there is nothing else you can really change. There are no adjustments available in the hydraulic system.

You might flush out and replace the brake fluid and see if that helps. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how much the brakes firm up when I do this simple service, even when I don't think the brakes are spongy. The extra lever movement and loss of firmness is gradual over time and creeps up on you.

+1, the only way to really change things would be to change piston sizes, or other replacing/modifying things, but bleeding often helps firm things up.

Some hydraulic systems do have the equivalent of tightening cables, by way of shortening the hose. This displaces the fluid, acts a lot like tightening a cable

Last edited:
+1, the only way to really change things would be to change piston sizes, or other replacing/modifying things, but bleeding often helps firm things up.

Some hydraulic systems do have the equivalent of tightening cables, by way of shortening the hose. This displaces the fluid, acts a lot like tightening a cable

Or switching to steel braided cable that won't expand with pressure from lever.

I have gotten in the habit of pushing the brake caliper pistons back in about once per week. It's easy. Literally just push the caliper into the rotor with your hand. Keep moderate pressure on it for a few seconds and you will see the caliper slowly move. Now pump the brake lever a few times to move the pistons back out. I'm not sure if this helps bleed some air back into the reservoir or what, but the lever feels notably more firm afterwards.

Anyone else notice the brakes getting mushy as the pads get thin? Mine are just to the wear indicator (6800 miles of LA traffic, looks like I'll be needing brake pads more often than oil). More flex in the caliper body and pistons as they stick out further? I bled, and noticed in the process that I need new pads soon.

I got a nice inexpensive adjustable lever, but if I have it at the setting I find most comfortable, it's too close to the grip. That is, it hits the grip if I squeeze it all the way.

That shouldn't be ... you probably have another issue ... might have air in the lines.

If this was a bicycle, I'd tighten the cable. I understand the NC brake system is hydraulic, but is there a way to adjust it that a mechanical idiot can handle?

There's no way to adjust it to be more firm, beyond bleeding the brakes and changing out the pads.

I have gotten in the habit of pushing the brake caliper pistons back in about once per week.

That's the rwong thing to do, if you're simply pushing the pistons back.

Accumulation on the pistons, if not cleaned prior to retracting them back into their bores, the bores will become scored, then you've got other problems.

If you absolutely HAVE to push the pistons back, remove the caliper and then CLEAN the pistons vigorously with brake fluid around their complete circumference, then push them in.

However, if "pushing the pistons in once a week" improves braking, you have some other issue. Probably need a flush and bleed.

Back