• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

changed the rear tire now it squeaks...

lll_Natsu_lll

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so i recently changed the rear tire (first time doing so on a motorcycle) and now it squeaks, it seems like i may have tightened it a little to much, but I'm not sure.

again it was the first time i have ever changed a tire on a motorcycle.

Loosen it up at the least and go back with a torque wrench. If you did torque it, take it off and make sure your grease is good and in the right places.
One other thought, are you sure it's not the rear brakes making the squeak. If it is, they may need to re-seat. The squeak should go away shortly if it's the brakes.

One area that is often missed the brake caliber bracket MUST be engaged to the peg on the swing arm.
This is on the right side. This engagement is critical, not for noise but brake function.

Noise ......recheck all your work, spacers, brake pad install, brake pad shims, anti rattle clips, chain alignment and chain tension (tension is again critical step)

If properly assembled, the tightness of the axle nut doesn't cause a squeak. More likely a component is missing or misplaced. As already mentioned, be sure the rear brake caliper is engaged in the slot in the swingarm. Verify all axle spacers are installed and in the right place. Verify chain alignment and slack. Use torque wrench on all fasteners, especially the axle nut. This bike does not use a castle nut/cotter pin as a secondary safety device, so axle nut torque is extra important.

It's possible the brake pads just got tweaked a little and will reseat themselves with use. Can you hear the squeak when you're riding, or just when spinning the wheel by hand?

If properly assembled, the tightness of the axle nut doesn't cause a squeak. More likely a component is missing or misplaced. As already mentioned, be sure the rear brake caliper is engaged in the slot in the swingarm. Verify all axle spacers are installed and in the right place. Verify chain alignment and slack. Use torque wrench on all fasteners, especially the axle nut. This bike does not use a castle nut/cotter pin as a secondary safety device, so axle nut torque is extra important.

It's possible the brake pads just got tweaked a little and will reseat themselves with use. Can you hear the squeak when you're riding, or just when spinning the wheel by hand?

I can hear it very well going around 20-30 mph, anything above that i can't hear it squeak at all.

If it tends to squeak particularly in relation to bumps in the road, check that the adjuster plates on the back of the swing-arm are still tight. I was hunting a noise like that on mine, thinking that it was one of the suspension links, and it turned out the plate was just loose enough to rattle audibly at slower speeds

Back