• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM heated grip dealer installed. (known problem)

Bert

Reaction score
Visit site
So far i'm enjoying my NC750X a lot. I feel like i'm really getting to know it after only 300km. The last 50km making it 350km felt like coming home.

2 Thing bug me though. The biggest one is this.

IMG_20140823_131311.jpg
IMG_20140823_131337.jpg

I am expected to reach for the "N/D/S" control a lot but i can't because the oem way of installing is this. The dealer has send a complaint to Honda (copied me) and we'll wait for a short while. Next step is either trying to solve it myself or installing a different type.

Would it be possible for those of you with OEM heated grips installed to post your picture of it please?

The other small thing is the handlebar. Just like on the NTV i had and other honda's that i occasionally rode the handle bar seems to be designed for the smaller torso in width. So i need to look into that aswell.

Thank you very much! That explains it. Your throttle wires come out under a different angle. For the DCT the throttle body has been integrated into the buttons. This explains why they wire sticks out as it does. They probably send us the wrong heated grips for the previous model!

DCT/versus manual difference. I'll use this info with the dealer. Thank you 670cc!

Last edited:
The difference is DCT vs manual, not 700 vs 750. The DCT control/throttle has the cables exiting downward, whereas on the manual transmission bike the throttle cables exit forward.

I too have OEM heated grips and they look like they are fitted the same as yours.

Here's the best picture I have of them (my bike doesn't live at home with me)

310cd9f5072ba91ba8ac29819e9164d7_zps9ddcf679.jpg

I've not had any interference issues either, if they fail due to the way they are fitted then the bike will go straight back and a new set demanded, in warranty or not!

I installed the OEM grips on my 2013 NC700XD and they look similar to yours. If you're concerned about the wire routing, it would easy to unclamp the wiring along the handlebar and reroute it. Going from memory, but I think the kit comes with zip ties to attach the wires to the handlebar. Replacement zip ties can be had for pennies at the auto parts store.

The only concerns would be routing it in such a way that it would interfere with throttle operation or making the free-hanging loop too tight which would lead to premature failure of the wires where they enter the grip. Once you have a potential routing setup, try rotating the throttle and make sure there's no binding or interference before tightening up the zip ties.

BTW, I have similar heated grips on my FJR1300 and they are stilling working great after 7 years and 90,000 miles. They are grips off a HONDA ST1300 on my Yamaha! :)

My main concern is not being able to reach the buttons with my thumb, except by letting go of the handle/brake to reach over. All because the loop of the wire is in the way.

I had a reply from my dealer and he spoke with Honda Netherlands about it. The grips are standardized for Honda but they have a tool to undo them from the inner plastic and reset them in a different position like normal on a non d.c.t. version. So we'll be doing that.

An update.

As seen in this picture:

IMG_20141026_173609.jpg

The base of the cable is of the same material as the tube and throttle cable holders. Rotating this is a no go. So i'll look for non oem heated grips next.

It looks like the guy installing the grip didn't think about the cable routing when he fitted it. I made the mistake fitting a set of Oxford grips to a Transalp, the wires fouled the clutch lever because the grip needed rotating around 90 degrees.

Looking at you image the grip should have been fitted to the cable were sitting away from you, not at the front. I guess it is cemented on and won't allow you to adjust it?

Unfortunatly the heated strips and wire are set into the the hard plastic base of the handle. So there is no fysical way of rotating the wire except by sawing the wire out of the base tube plastic first. I have had them install Oxford. Those can be set however you want them.

So i had them install oxfords. And guess what. They were so hooked up with doing it their way..
Used glue that would come loose when heated. Hey let's use this one on heated grips!
And also managed to bugger up the left and right orientation. Left turned like a throttle side when hot, and right was blocking me reaching the brake handle with my index finger and winter gloves on.

I cut them off (was pissed) and put on a new set myself following Oxfords instructions and now they're perfect for me.

IMG_20141111_111059.jpg
IMG_20141111_111106.jpg

dealer-installed becomes the adjective and kinda needs the hyphen.

It is fun to think of installing a "heated grip dealer" on my motorcycle, but he'd just ruin my wind resistance and constantly nag me to buy something.

I installed the OEM grips on my 2013 NC700XD and they look similar to yours. If you're concerned about the wire routing, it would easy to unclamp the wiring along the handlebar and reroute it. Going from memory, but I think the kit comes with zip ties to attach the wires to the handlebar. Replacement zip ties can be had for pennies at the auto parts store.

The only concerns would be routing it in such a way that it would interfere with throttle operation or making the free-hanging loop too tight which would lead to premature failure of the wires where they enter the grip. Once you have a potential routing setup, try rotating the throttle and make sure there's no binding or interference before tightening up the zip ties.

BTW, I have similar heated grips on my FJR1300 and they are stilling working great after 7 years and 90,000 miles. They are grips off a HONDA ST1300 on my Yamaha! :)

How did you remove the original throttle grip? I have not been able to find how in the NC700X/XD service manual as instructed by the instructions.

Last edited:
How did you remove the original throttle grip? I have not been able to find how in the NC700X/XD service manual as instructed by the instructions.

Stanley blade, it should just cut off.

I had a chat with the owner of my local Honda Dealership about heated grips, I'm not keen on the eye watering cost of the Honda Part compared to Oxford.

It does seem that the diameter of the NC Grips is slightly smaller than standard, and there is a general nervousness about connecting heated grips unless using the accessory harness, so they won't fit anything other than the Honda Part.

I'm still not convinced and will probably buy the Oxford Hotgrips and solve any issues as I fit them

The oxfords fit perfectly on the left and right right. Simply remove the old grip (cut) and clean both ends well. Follow the instructions that comes with the oxford pack.

You should just be able to slide the oxford's over the ends with a bit of spittle. Confirm position you like. Mark it, remove them again and apply their glue (or any other glue that will hold also when it's hot!) and pop them on.

Multiple of us here have had the Honda heated grips fail. For other brands just use a relay to prevent leaving on and accessory harness is not required. If you are sure YOU will never leave them on draining battery then skip the relay.

Back