• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

100,000' Ride Colorado

Ackme

Reaction score
Visit site
So I read where the Colorado BMWMOA does an annual 100K' ride (going over passes that total 100K' in a day). Well I know that they welcome all bikes not just beemers but I am not much of a joiner so i thought I would try and put together my own version.

http://goo.gl/maps/p4zBN

Yes - its only 90K and a couple of the passes are on the same road (not sure if that is kosher) and Mt Evans is not even a pass but hey its 14K'. What are you going to do, report me to the ride police

Off I go at the crack of dawn...well it was really 8am.

Last edited:
But first I had to make a stop to post a new tag for the photo game thread.

Red Rocks is at 6150 but I am not going to count that

First stop Squaw Pass up CO 103 from Evergreen towards Mt Evans.

Within the range of accuracy but lets call it 9820'

Next was Juniper Pass - just a few miles further on. No road goes thru there but it is on the all the lists of Passes so I am counting it.

Lets call it 10970. 20790' total

On to Mt. Evans. The Big One. Highest Paved Road in North America - take that Canada. :lol3

Actually it was pretty damned cold. A front had just moved through and according to the Ranger sitting in her truck up there the temp had just dropped about 10 degrees in the last hour. So I did not stick around along.

I could not get too close to the sign for a shot with the bike in the frame because this other species of humans who can pedal their bikes up

Going back down the road my brain unfroze I and thought to stop and take a couple photos - It really is a special place and I feel very lucky to have had the chance to ride up there and see it - 14K' is different and unless you are into mountaineering I dont think there are many chances to experience it outside of Colorado and the Himalayas.

This is a tarn at about 12K' - looking roughly northeast.

Here is a shot from the same spot looking up the slope at the scree field. Still above tree line but low enough for plant life to get a toe hold.

Okay. headed down 103 north towards Idaho Springs - really great motorcycle road. Since it looked like some weather might be moving in I decided do deviate from the map and hit Berthoud Pass earlier in the day. I have been up their in the summer when it has been snowing. :huh

Total is now 46,265' - ish.

Since I turned around and went back down the Pass the way I came up here is a shot of the view from the top looking north the way I did not go. Also a great ride.

Guanella Pass did not have an official CDOT - this is the top sign. Just a sing on each side of the pass designating the "summit area"

So here is a shot of that sign and then a shot of the bike at what I thought was the top showing Mt. Bierstadt (right) and Mt. Evans (left across the knife edge rocks that connect them) - This is the north side - opposite the road.

Total is now 57,997'

Down the south side of Guanella Pass road there is still some dirt sections but they are working on it and it probably will get fully paved in not too many years. :cry

Ran into three work crews repairing, widening and re-grading it.

This is the view looking back at Kenosha from the town of Como.

It is really stunning as you come down from Kenosha. And yes that is the South Park where they got the name for Kenny and Cartman's town.

Back