• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

RST Ventilator 3 jacket & trousers

Saxeus

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I got my helmet recently (Nolan N104 Evo), I've been focussing on finding good deals for the rest of my gear. I'm a new rider so I'll have to buy it all in one go and I know it's going to be rather expensive but I've been saving up for it. The closest retailer to me has quite a varied selection but I'm impressed with the user reviews I've read so far of the RST Ventilator 3 jacket (& trousers) as well as the reasonable price. Anyone here have any comments or suggestions before I buy?

carrying a mesh jacket in summer is a great idea. on long summer trips, I carry a normal insulated coat and a mesh (both with armor). I find I wear the mesh coat more. In extreme heat, it's a good idea to carry a cotton undershirt so that you can stop at a gas station, soak the shirt in the sink, and wear the soaking wet shirt under the mesh coat. The air blowing through the mesh evaporates the water in the shirt and makes you significantly cooler.

The pants aren't as big an issue, so if cost is important, go for the mesh jacket first. I wear non-mesh, textile, pants all the time...even in 100 F weather.

Packing two coats is a saddle bag hassle, so adding pants to that problem only makes it worse.

Commuting around town?
Mesh jacket and normal pants. Yes, I know.... that's not All the Gear All time time, but I always wear a biker's jacket mesh or standard. Can't bring myself to do the t-shirt and flip flops or even the Harley dress white shirt with black leather vest.

armor might be a mis-use of the word. You'll still break your bones, but at least you'll have skin on them.
(as my daughter's used to say: eeeeeeeewwwwww!)

Last edited:
I have a friend with RST jacket and trousers. He is seriously impressed with this equipment in all weathers.

Layers.

Layers.

Layers.

My jacket has 3 layers (looks like the one you are looking at does too) I usually only ever use two.
Outer most layer is vented and armored.
Next layer is water proof.
Last layer is insulated.

When it gets cool I add the water proof layer, doesn't keep me warm per say, but it keeps the wind off.
I only go up to all 3 layers when I'm riding and it's sub ~45F

Pants are only two layers, mesh and armor, then water proof, I generally only wear the water proof layer when it's raining, or drops below ~50F.

Gloves will also be important both for the rain, and the cold.

I also add a buff when it gets cold to keep my neck warm, and seal up the helmet a little better around my neck.

Of course the most important thing is that it is something you will wear... if it is uncomfortable and you don't wear it because of that, it's no good to you. Anything with armor is going to feel heavy when you are standing, so if you can try it on, and then sit on a bike (preferably your bike) that would be best to get an idea of how it actually will fit you.

My pants are incredibly awkward for walking around in, and some pain if they are used for anything other than riding, but on the bike they work great.

A local retailer had a sale on over the weekend so I got most of my gear. I wanted to get the Ventilator 3 set but unfortunately it is discontinued and the store only had two small jackets left (I take a large). The Ventilator 4 was significantly higher in price so I opted for a Blade textile jacket instead. Most of the textiles were on sale that day so I got a chunk off the normal price but there were also no pants left in my size so I'll have to get those later. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of ventilation in this jacket though. I noticed that almost everything they had on the floor was just black. I figured in our sunny summer conditions a white coloured jacket would be the most practical but the sales guy said something about some issue with white gear and they weren't importing anything white any more. Any idea why this might be? I didn't really notice much high-viz gear either for that matter, otherwise I would probably have bought that instead - I'll have to make do with a reflective vest over the black jacket.

I like the gloves I got though (Alpinestars SP-2), very comfy, light, and what seems like solid protection.

Back