• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My helmet fell apart this morning

anglachel

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled into work today and shut off the bike, and the visor on my helmet kinda flopped off on the right side...
Got it off and sure enough the screws holding the mounting plat for the visor had come loose, luckly the visor had them trapped so they didn't fall out on the road..

Screwed it all together again, and it should continue to work, I didn't think my head vibrated enough to shake screws loose... suppose I should get some loc-tite on them going forward, but it just seemed odd that the screws on the helmet would jiggle loose.

It's and HJC CL-16, I think...

Pulled into work today and shut off the bike, and the visor on my helmet kinda flopped off on the right side...
Got it off and sure enough the screws holding the mounting plat for the visor had come loose, luckly the visor had them trapped so they didn't fall out on the road...

Screwed it all together again, and it should continue to work, I didn't think my head vibrated enough to shake screws loose... suppose I should get some loc-tite on them going forward, but it just seemed odd that the screws on the helmet would jiggle loose.

It's and HJC CL-16, I think...

I have had a CL-16 for many years now, with nary a problem. I am swapping the visors clear for dark very often though, so am always aware of any fasteners possibly becoming loose or other potential maladies ahead of time. (haven't had any as I say though, thankfully)

I wouldn't recommend putting loctite on the plastic screws or anywhere touching plastic, as the chemical compounds in thread locker can attack and damage many plastics.

I have had a CL-16 for many years now, with nary a problem. I am swapping the visors clear for dark very often though, so am always aware of any fasteners possibly becoming loose or other potential maladies ahead of time. (haven't had any as I say though, thankfully)

I wouldn't recommend putting loctite on the plastic screws or anywhere touching plastic, as the chemical compounds in thread locker can attack and damage many plastics.

Good point.
The Screws appeared to be metal, and sunk into a metal "nut" embedded in the helmet... though between the screw head and the metal "nut" (insert?) was obviously all plastic. and Styrofoam beyond that (which I suppose probably gets eaten up quicker than plastic by anything that is even remotely close to a solvent)

I checked the screws on the left side and they seemed tight (3 of them though only 2 on the right, no extra holes for a third though so I don't think I lost one)

Hopefully they are tight now and they'll stay that way.

I've had them come loose on my HJC Sy-Max III as well, though my visor didn't flop off, it just wouldn't stay up.

Might not be a bad idea to look these over as when you occasionally wipe down your helmet.

Back