• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Solar Powered Battery Tenders

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with these? Now that I have the requisite connector on my bike I'd like to get a Battery Tender. The problem is that I don't have electrical power in my shed. I could run an extension cord from the house occasionally but that sort of defeats the purpose of a battery tender and keeping it at a full charge all the time. I've read some reviews on Amazon but they seem to average 50/50. Besides, I trust the people here more.

Solar? Does not seem like a good idea to me if you want to keep your bike charged all the time. The bike is inside... the charger outside? In the winter? Bad weather?
Maybe I am missing something here?

I am guessing you only need to charge the battery perhaps one day per week over extending periods. So variable weather with intermittent overcast should not be a problem. You might consider getting a 12-volt solar cell panel. But don't connect it directly to the bike's battery. Instead, you would need to dissect a battery tender and utilize its load regulator.

I used to use one on a bike stored outside and I never had a flat battery so I can only guess that it worked, it was waterproof too, only cost £10 from Maplins.

I had a sail boat for several years. It had a solar charger and the battery never went bad. Worked great in my situation. I realize a marine battery is different, but my experience was great. I would have another in a heart beat.

Thanks, I was specifically talking about something like this.
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-1163 5W Solar Maintainer: Automotive

The reviews on Amazon are so mixed you have to take them with a grain of salt. I know you can buy more expensive panels but this seems to be totally self contained. Since I don't yet have a battery tender I would not be duplicating anything I already have. By the way Jelly I never heard of Maplins before this. Looks like they've got a lot of stuff but I'd rather not order overseas again unless I have no other choice. Thanks.

Last edited:
I decided against the solar one and got the regular battery tender. The one in the metal case. There were too many negative reviews on Amazon for me to gamble. For now I hooked up a way to power it from the house with the shed door closed so I can keep the critters out. Thanks for your responses.

Cord in storage
Reel.jpg

Metal port in closed position
Port.jpg

Port with extension cord
Port.With.Cord.jpg

Back