• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check your chain

gkgeiger

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't see the Recall post

I just read this on ADVrider.

Quote: Honda announced a Stop Sell Notice on the NC700 today.

The issue is the drive chain on the bikes. All the bikes have to be inspected and if it has an D I D chain it is good to go.

If it has an RK chain it has to have RK and Japan stamped on it. Seems some have RK chains and they have failed.

My local dealer has two on the floor, one with an D I D chain and one with the RK chain.

If you have already purchased an NC700 check your chain and see what chain you have and call your dealer for info.

Okie Quote

Last edited:
US model, manual, DID chain.

Just because it's a DID chain does not mean it isn't bad. Honda used 2 different DID chains. One is bad one is not. I'm not 100% but I think the ones with JAPAN on the link next to the DID link is the bad one.

Mine has an RK so it goes in Friday for a swap

Just because it's a DID chain does not mean it isn't bad. Honda used 2 different DID chains. One is bad one is not. I'm not 100% but I think the ones with JAPAN on the link next to the DID link is the bad one.

I just got a call from my dealership. They told me if the chain has DID and Japan or RK and Japan, then it's good. If it has RK only, then it needs to be replaced.

Damn it! My spanish NC700X has a RK chain. No recall notice here AFAIK, but I just sent an email to my dealer

It makes you wonder where the RK not marked Japan is made.

Odd. I took a close look at my chain and it doesn't have any of the listed options stamped on it. It appears to read 520 and VO. I called my dealer and they had no idea. At any rate, I'm bringing it in tomorrow for them to check with Honda.
IMG_0214.jpg

I got too the 520 VO and DID JAPAN stamped on the links. Should this be a good one?

kedja.jpg

Odd. I took a close look at my chain and it doesn't have any of the listed options stamped on it. It appears to read 520 and VO. I called my dealer and they had no idea. At any rate, I'm bringing it in tomorrow for them to check with Honda.
View attachment 549

Is it just me or doesn't say DID Japan at the very top of your picture?

You know, I think you're right. The two links that I was focusing on have the 520 and VO, but I can see that the link above it seems to have DID Japan. I'll take a closer look. Thanks.

I had my nc700X in to Honda of North Hollywood (CA) for other reasons and they would not let me ride the bike home. RK stamped clearly on the chain. It's already been replaced and I'm good to go.

Honda (USA) Powersports pro-actively sent my local dealership new chains to use in the replacement program. When I dropped my bike off this past week, the replacement was already available and ready to install. They used a DID Japan chain as the swap for the RK. I was pleased it was not too much of a hassle.

Back