• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Honda NC700X recall?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw on another forum tonight that Honda has issued a Stop Sell on the bike. It seems that the bike is equipped with a drive chain from one of two vendors. If it is one type the dealer will replace the chain, if it is the other all is good.

I plan on calling my dealer in the morning to verify.

Cross posted:

"Honda announced a Stop Sell Notice on the NC700 today.

The issue is the drive chain on the bikes. All the bikes have to be inspected and if it has an D I D chain it is good to go.

If it has an RK chain it has to have RK and Japan stamped on it. Seems some have RK chains and they have failed.

My local dealer has two on the floor, one with an D I D chain and one with the RK chain.

If you have already purchased an NC700 check your chain and see what chain you have and call your dealer for info."

Mine has a D I D chain.

Last edited:
Mine says "RK" and "2765". No "Japan" :eek:

At this point, might we also wonder if this is connected to the throbbing/pulsing issue in 6th gear that some owners report?

Last edited:
My chain is marked D 1 D Japan and I have not experienced the harmonic vibration some have experienced. 670cc have you? I see you may have the questionable/defective chain. Thanks for the heads up dduelin!

Last edited:
Here is a picture of mine, note link on the right D 1 D Japan (upside down)

Attachments

• D 1 D chain.jpg
    D 1 D chain.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,361
Last edited:
I have the DID chain and the pulsation. Mine starts on flat ground at about 46 and continues to where it peaks around 50 and dies off rapidly after that. I weigh about 240 plus gear.

Edit: Ok, in light of reading later responses I need to go back again and check if it is a DID Japan. I might have to take it in anyway (or get a magnifying glass). I wear bifocal type glasses and have problems with small print. Middle-age sucks.

Last edited:
I have the RK chain and have the odd harmonic pulsation issue (see other thread.) We might be onto something here, but SilverPelican throws a wrench into that one.

Last edited:
Yes it probably does, but when we talk USA recall, we don't have any of those here. Also, there now appears to be no relationship to the pulsating harmonic vibration issue.

My chain is marked D 1 D Japan and I have not experienced the harmonic vibration some have experienced. 670cc have you? I see you may have the questionable/defective chain. Thanks for the heads up dduelin!

I have the RK chain and mine has the pulsing/throbbing just as others have described, but it is moderate. It's not a huge distraction on mine. My point of reference is my other bike, which is a GL1800, so the NC vibrates a lot more anyhow, but mostly in a tolerable way.

I have a chain marked RK so I contacted Honda UK Customer Services, they were notified this morning of the recall and will be contacting all customers by email or letter asking that if you have one of the suspect chains fitted to take it to a Honda dealer where it will be inspected and if necessary changed FOC.

I checked my chain and it's an RK. Went to the dealer. They already have a new chain ordered. Mine goes in Friday to get swapped.

They told me that there are 3 chains put on the nc. 1 is the RK. The other two are DID. One of the DID is good the other is not. Even if you have a DID it needs to be checked. I think they said the bad DID had DID on one link and JAPAN on the next link. Don't hold me to that as I already knew my chain was bad

I just spoke with my Honda dealer. It appears as there are (2) different chains with the RK marking on it. One has the word "Japan" on it. My dealer said
"RK" with "Japan" (not on the same link, elsewhere on the chain) is OK. If your chain only has the "RK", then it is to be replaced by Honda.

I have the bad one, so they have ordered a new chain and will replace it next week for me.

***I just read the post above mine. Huh, slightly conflicting reports from dealerships
I see mass confusion ahead for a bit***:confused:

Last edited:
Differing information from differing people. All so confusing. I couldn't find an actual recall notice at nhtsa.gov yet and when I logged into Honda Ownerlink it just says there is a 2012 NC700 DRIVE CHAIN RECALL but doesn't give the details. I have Friday off. If I don't hear from my dealer by then, I will stop by Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
The bad chain is just marked RK. If it says RK Japan or DID it is OK. Even if you have a chain that will not be replaced under recall we should still eventually take it to a Honda dealer. They need to punch mark the frame boss for the centerstand to show compliance with the upcoming recall.

I'd been meaning to register my 700 at Honda Owner Link. Just took care of that. Thanks for the reminder 'SilverPelican'. This copy and paste is straight from the horse's mouth. Think I'll pay my service depot a visit.

Your 2012 Honda NC700X DCT is included in the 2012 NC700 DRIVE CHAIN RECALL Campaign.

Description 2012 NC700 DRIVE CHAIN RECALL
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Open

Back