• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

HELP! Feels like going over endless bumps

vodapas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all my fellow NC700 aficionados. I really need the help that I'm sure only this forum can provide. Today on the way to work (about 30 mile ride on curvy two lane roads) I started to notice that it felt like I was going over an endless series of small bumps. Thing is that makes no sense. The roads are for the most part smooth and I ride them often. This felt completely different. At first it was just annoying, but by the time I was headed home it was quite disconcerting. Not only did the endless imaginary bumps become worse but now the bike feels very vague and imprecise when I lean it into a curve. I now do not have enough confidence to ride it to work until I can figure out what is going on.

Now, I realize the suspension is not the NC700's strongest point. But, I have always found mine to handle well and be very predictable. That was not how this afternoon felt at all.

So far I have checked the tire pressure, front and rear are good. I stood the bike up and shifted my weight forward and back. Suspension travel seems normal with no obvious impairments to movement. The only thing is my chain is probably a little looser than it should be.

That has me wondering. I have been good about cleaning/oiling the chain every 300-500 miles. But, I hadn't adjusted it since I got it (has about 3500 miles now). Prior to a trip to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA I adjusted the chain for the first time. In hindsight I realized I had adjusted it too tightly. I rode the trip in VA (700+ miles) with it too tight. Not snap the chain tight, but with less play than there should of been. Upon returning home I adjusted to slacken the chain, but I was having a hard time ensuring there was adequate slack in all parts of the chain without some parts being too tight. So now as I said the chain is probably too slack overall. Obviously, I should probably replace the chain and sprockets (although the sprockets really look like they are still good).

So, that's about the best background info I can provide and the only thing I can think of. Is it possible if the chain is too slack that it would create that mild bumps in the road sensation I described? Or has someone else experienced this and can give me some idea where else to look? I feel like such a novice which is driving me nuts. But, this is the first bike I've owned with a chain so I really have no experience to turn to and I get paranoid with all things involving the chain.

Thank you in advance to any help that y'all can provide!

Last edited:
get the back wheel off the ground and spin the tire while look at the chain. See if you notice any link unusual. If all fine there, check the tires and where the tire meets the rim. confirm the tire is seated correctly. Also check that you did not pick up a nail or something like that on both tires.

Great Thanks for the suggestions. I have a center stand so that will make the back easy.

I also should of added that it doesn't really become noticeable until around 50 MPH. I'm also wondering if I might of failed to get the rear tire dead center. I used a Motion-Pro alignment tool and it looked like it was aligned. But now with what I'm experiencing it seems like the rear tire not tracking straight could result in that feeling of instability in the curves.

Just to be sure. Check to see that you wheel weights are still there. I lost one and it felt like i was going over grated pavement against the grain.

That was a great suggestion! I grabbed a flashlight and ran out back to check. Sadly, both wheel weights are there. I was really hopeful that it could be something so simple and when you said that it seemed like exactly the thing that could cause the sensation I'm experiencing. It's not rhythmic enough to be a "bump" on the tire. But, it's that kind of odd feeling like a tire on a car slightly out of balance.

The tires are tubeless/radial. It is possible that there is an internal bead or band failure.Usually called a separation. Pretty rare since these are high quality tires. But it can happen. When up on center stand also try to check if it is out of "round". Maybe a web search to see if others have similar problems with tire.

I agree, there's definitely a chance it could be related to the tires and I could be chasing Zebras due to my ignorance induced anxiety about the chain drive. Tomorrow once I have the aid of light I'm going to closely inspect both tires. If I can't find anything obvious I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it into the dealer and pray whatever the issue is it's caused by something that's covered under the extended warranty.

If wheels are balanced, then it could also be bad bearings, as someone mentioned, get the tires off the ground and spin them...that can tell you a lot.

Back