• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Synthetic Oil after Break-in?

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've completed my break-in and now want to go with a clutch compatible synthetic oil. What's everyone using? I can't find a 10W30 synthetic oil that compatible so OK to go with the 5W40 Rotella?

Honda sells a 10w30 full synthetic for about what other full synthetics cost. It's called HP4S.

You are correct it is difficult to find a 10w30 outside of a motorcycle oil that does not have friction modifiers in it that can cause the clutch to slip.

10w40 is listed in the service manual as acceptable along with 10w30 and Rotella 5w40 is a very popular and wise choice. On the CTX forum the moderator said all dealers got a memo that 10w40 was good to use and preferred in most climates with the CTX700 which shares the NC's engine.

I found some Spectro Gold 10w40 half off at Cycle Gear. I am really impressed with it so far. The clutch friction zone is more linear and there is noticeably less of a clunk dropping into first gear from neutral.

FWIW my personal choice is to use a full synthetic 10W30 for the minutely better fuel economy it provides over 40w multi-viscosity oils. I bought the NC in part for it's design features that produce the high efficiency engine and want to use the most efficient oil that meets Honda's specifications. It is difficult to find a 10W30 that does not have friction modifiers in it - these are oils with "Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving" on the label. Auto part stores generally do not sell 10W30s that are not Energy Conserving.

Don't start a thread about it's OK to use 5w40 when they are not recommended.....I have no disagreement with your choice. I use them in other Honda motorcycles but the NC gets the most efficient oil I can put in it. The cost difference is not important to me.

I've completed my break-in and now want to go with a clutch compatible synthetic oil. What's everyone using? I can't find a 10W30 synthetic oil that compatible so OK to go with the 5W40 Rotella?

another oil question that will get a 100 different answers why not follow the manufactors guide and get the honda hp4 oil as recomened by honda lets face it they should know and therefore you have done the right thing instead of worrying about using the right oil. While we are on the subject CHAINS they have been around a 100 years on motorbikes it is not a new technology just follow manufactor guide and adjusted when slack and lubricate when dry easy. this will open a can of worms ï will get my coat"

That is what I did,got the Honda oil and filter,no guess work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is what I've been using since the first or second service.

AMSOIL 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Plus 1 for Amsoil. Been using them for a while. Used it in my last bike, my car and now the NC since the first oil change. They have 10w-30, and 10W-40.

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

If you sign up as a preferred customer you can buy at a cheaper price. Other part I like is it gets shipped to the house no need to drive around town to try and find a store that carries what you like.

Plus 1 for Amsoil. Been using them for a while. Used it in my last bike, my car and now the NC since the first oil change. They have 10w-30, and 10W-40.

If you sign up as a preferred customer you can buy at a cheaper price. Other part I like is it gets shipped to the house no need to drive around town to try and find a store that carries what you like.

Oooh and you can buy it buy the drum @ $2,164.65! :rolleyes:

The Honda dealer I use recommended Amsoil, they keep it beside the Honda oil. I think the price they charged for it was about the same or less that it would cost to have it delivered. (lucky me)
I started using Amsoil in my NCX because it was recommended by several people that I value their opinion. I am impressed enough to keep using it in the NCX.
I didn't or wouldn't have a problem using any quality oil that met my engines specs though.
I have used Rotella over 30 years in my other equipment and will keep using it. When I tried it in my old Goldwing, I noticed a difference in the shifting characteristics after a couple thousand miles that I didn't have with Honda HP4S,GN4 or Amsoil.

I asked the Honda importer here about full synthetic oil after break in. I was told not to use it. No reasons were given. I have since used a semi synthetic 10/40 Bardahl. I have used this oil for years and have always been happy with it.

I found some Spectro Gold 10w40 half off at Cycle Gear. I am really impressed with it so far. The clutch friction zone is more linear and there is noticeably less of a clunk dropping into first gear from neutral.

I got a couple gallons of that same half-off Spectro! Haven't reached an oil change point to put it in yet, though.

Presently, I'm using a bio-synthetic 5W40 from Renewable Lubricants. It 'feels' and 'sounds' better than the 10W30 semi-syn I was using before. MPG is also the same, to _maybe_ just a tiny bit up from before. I have a bit over 19k miles on the bike. Of course, it's a VERY HOT CLIMATE here, so I don't and won't see nearly so much cold-weather effect as most of the board's membership will, whether in the bike or in a car/pickup. The Honda dealers here I happen to have been acquainted with well enough to know much about the service departments, normally use 10W40 across the board. Next change, I'll try the Spectro and watch mpg. Eventually, I'll have an oil sample or two to judge that aspect of performance, too.

Red Line also markets a motorcycle-specific, fully-synthetic 10W30, if that's available in your part of Canada, OP?

Last edited:
Back