• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rust on Rear Axle

Josh H

Reaction score
Visit site
Would I be right to assume there shouldn't be this much rust on the rear axle, if any at all? The front axle is super clean and still has the lithium grease on it from the last time I changed my tires, 12k miles ago. However, the rear axle looks like it has been sitting in a scrapyard for 20 years.

IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4623.jpg

Someone just did not grease the axel when they put it in. This often happens at a tire change. For some reason folks clean the grease off the axel when they change the tire. Grease the axel when you reinstall and all should be ok.

I did grease the axle last time I changed the tire, but I used the thinner lithium grease in a spray can. Maybe I should go with something thicker?

Maybe something a little thicker. I use a water resistant marine wheel bearing grease but I've also used regular wheel bearing grease in the past.

I've always had rust on most axles, always at the junctures of the front forks in the upper and lower triple clamps, the rear brake pedal, the bar ends where my gloves wear the paint off, corrosion on fasteners, the aluminum cases where the clear coat wears off, etc.

Mind you, I've lived most of my motorcycling life on the coast at sea level, sometimes yards away from the ocean, I ride through creeks, commute in never ending rain, and ride directly in the path of salt spraying trucks in the snow, so...

(plus I hardly ever ever wash my bikes, lol)

My BMW was never ridden in winter, I washed, and washed and washed, and waxed (X infinity symbol) was insanely anal about cleaning it, and it was the worst bike ever for being nuked by rust and Alien-like acid for blood corrosion. :mad: :(

*shrug*

Not enough and not the right kind of grease causes the rust problem....as others have said.

I have seen bikes where the axles need to hammered, heated and or cut and then driven out due to excessive rust. Same goes for swing arm bolts must be greased and of course they are not removed often like axles.

A couple of things come to my mind. First thing I thought of was a bad seal allowing water to get in. Second thing I thought of was a pressure washer. If you're using one, it's not a good idea.

A couple of things come to my mind. First thing I thought of was a bad seal allowing water to get in. Second thing I thought of was a pressure washer. If you're using one, it's not a good idea.

That area is not sealed, pressure washer use does make the problem worse.....faster..........grease is the preventive.

I just put on a set of PR4's and noticed a little rust on my rear axle. (Not that bad though) The last set got a good coat of grease on the axle, just like this one. I just hit it with the Emery cloth and gave it a healthy dose of grease. Probably will happen again since I ride year around.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I cleaned up the rust and put a moderate coat of Lucas marine wheel bearing grease. I guess we'll see what happens when these new PR4's are done.

Last edited:
Back