• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil consumption...

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I've got 5.000km with my NC700X and I realize that I didn't check the motor oil yet... have you checked if and how much our bike need oil refill?

I do not have the answer, but I have to say you reminded me to check my oil.....mine is 3500km now. Going for a long ride this upcoming Sunday, so I'd better check.Thanks! :p

Mine has stayed up, but every machine can be different. My wife and I have the exact same drivetrain in our vehicles (a 2007 Chevy Silverado and a 2007 Suburban) and one of them uses a bit of oil between changes and the other does not. It needs to stay on the checklist. Even if it does not "use" oil, a leak could develop to the outside or a passage could develop between the oil and coolant. I have an old army truck where the greatest likelihood is that the level will rise by fuel dilution of the oil.

I check mine every day it is ridden. Hasn't used a drop. I check all my bikes every time they are ridden. Cheap insurance really. I rarely if ever check the cars between oil changes

Ok, can someone point out how to "correctly" check the oil level on our NCX?

It is in the owner's manual. As Lee said, but he forgot to mention the engine must be hot enough, and you must let it rest for 3-5 minutes to the oil go down. Curiosity: don't you get a owner's manual there at Switzerland?

Ok, can someone point out how to "correctly" check the oil level on our NCX?

Checking oil level, changing oil and filter, chain maintenance, wheel removal and reinstallation, some important fastener torque specs, etc is all covered in the NC700X owner's manual.

Oil level should be checked regularly, of course, but no modern Japanese motorcycle I've owned has ever consumed or leaked any oil.

Last edited:
That was a trick question. :p

Now I say my method plus the method I saw the Honda garage owner did.

My Method:
1. Make sure you have a friend, that friend can be a mainstand.
2. Warm up bike, ride around for a short time to ensure engine oil is warm
3. Put bike on mainstand (or friend holds her level)
4. Open the oil cap. Clean it
5. Put oil cap back but do not screw it in (it has a dip stick)
6. Pull out and read the level.

My Honda garage owner method.
Steps 1 and 2 are same.
3. Go to right side of bike and unscrew oil-filler cap and clean it, hold with left hand
4. Squat down next to bike, with right hand holding on the right throttle grip, balance the bike.
5. Left hand will put cap back, and view the oil level on the dip stick.

There you go, 2 methods.
Both work.
:p

PS: method 2: do at your own risk and do not let go of bike from right hand....

Back