• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why you should wear protection when riding on forest roads

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Beware of the mosquitoes! Wear your helmet!

So, my riding buddy on his V-Strom decides to make a fast run down the forest road we were riding. He splits from the group for 5 minutes for a burn through the twisties. When we catch up to him after that short burst, he points to his helmet. This is what we see:

100_7358.jpg

We chose not to camp in that area! :rolleyes:

Damn. I can relate. Not so much with the mosquitoes, more like the black flies. I hit clouds of them on the way into work periodically and it feels like i'm riding in the rain.

I had a similar issue like that when i lived in Louisiana. The love bugs in the summer are terrible. 30 minutes or so of riding and you have to pull over to clean your helmet. You can't rub them off because they smear like paste.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Right now in Louisiana is May flies. Don't have any yucky pics to put up but they were real bad last week. Unlike mosquitos -which are always around -may flies are only out a couple of days. Just long enough to make next years batch.

That's seriously crazy... I've never really had any trouble with flies yet, However this only makes me want to get more added protection against flies and riding. I'm looking for jackets with neck protection now hahaha
I don't want 100 mosquitos hitting me later... VikingCycle Thor Motorcycle Jacket for Men Motorcycle House got the neck protection for me... hahaha

Love Bugs splattered on your windshield or anything painted, they will eat the paint off and put little pin holes in you windshield.

Did the same thing with Yellow Jackets once. Didn't get stung except when I was cleaning them off my jacket one still had the poison sack attached to the stinger. Ouch...

another reason to have windscreen. i just finished 300+ miles one way trip-not a single bug on visor.. they all either on windscreen or fly over my head

Reminds me of my days riding in Florida and those infernal Love Bugs. Yuck!
A little tip for removal of those suicidal insects: Soak a towel in hot water and then drape it over the affected parts on the bike/helmet. Let it sit for a while and then the bugs simply wipe off without any scratching or smearing. Hotels love it when you use their towels for this purpose. :eek:

Back