• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clutch chatter?

Jimmy_Pop

Reaction score
Visit site
Something strange happened today when I went for my daily ride. I started the bike, was letting it warm up when I started hearing a slight grinding noise while it was in neutral. My first thought was "oh crap", I pulled in the clutch and the noise went away, let it back out and it came back. I have never noticed this before and I have about 1500 miles on it.

I immediately turned off the bike to check my clutch and fluids, all fine there. Came inside and started Googling the issue I was having. I started to read about clutch chatter and that it was no big deal, but I'd like to check with the experts here to make sure I don't have anything to worry about. I'm a first time rider, and this is my first bike so I want to make sure I take the best care of it as I can.

May I ask your thoughts?

Nothing to worry about. However, I would advise against letting the bike warm up. Start it and drive away - easily until the temp needle starts to move.

Start it and drive away - easily until the temp needle starts to move.

On the NC700X you sort of have to use your imagination for the temp needle.

But it's agreed on the process. I start the cold bike in first gear while holding the rear brake, then ride away immediately, albeit very gently.

Greg

Last edited:

But it's agreed on the process. I start the cold bike in first gear while holding the rear brake, then ride away immediately, albeit very gently.

Greg
Good catch. Thinking about my prior bike.

I think the noise you're hearing is just the throw out bearing. In my memory, I can't remember owning a bike that didn't make that noise.

It is. There is nothing to hold the clutch pushrod from making light contact when there is some freeplay in the linkage, as there should be. Our Ducatis and BMW's have enough other mechanical clatter that we don't hear them:)

Greg

Nothing to worry about. However, I would advise against letting the bike warm up. Start it and drive away - easily until the temp needle starts to move.

Hi guys,
why are you against letting the engine warm up and to ride away immediately?
I usually start bike, wear my gloves, adjust the jacket, put her off the mainstand (about 1 min or 2) and then ride off.
Is that too "long"?

Sometimes I even let her warm up 3-5 mins.
What is not good about that?
:rolleyes:

Warming the engine up is a hold-over from the days of single grade oils and carbureted engines. The oil pressure is up to snuff within a few seconds and multi-grade oils flow well enough when cold. It is true that more wear is experienced on a cold engine, but here is the kicker, the engine will warm up faster if it is being ridden than if it is being idled. Also, the oiling (spray, splash, etc.) is better at driving speed than it is at idle.

You probably don't do any great harm by sitting there idling, but you are not helping the engine, your fuel economy, or the environment by idling when you could be using the gasoline to do some useful work.

Back