• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How do you store your gear when away from the bike in bad weather?

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done my share of traveling, but have managed to avoid needing to secure my gear on the bike when it's raining and all of the luggage is full. Now, ordinarily, I can secure 2 helmets on the underseat helmet hook and use a cable to snake through the jacket sleeves and trouser legs to secure all of that gear. If it's raining, however, that will leave everything getting wet. What do you all do in that situation? I'm planning to get a Kwikcover, but I don't know if there would be enough room for 2 sets of gear underneath it (and I don't have time to get one before this weekend). Any ideas?

Probably not a whole lot of help, but I always carry mine with me. I think it depends on what you'll be doing. Will it be somewhere you can take it inside and then change? Or could you hang up your jacket and helmet when you get inside? Going on context, I assume you'll be getting out of the weather. Otherwise, you'd probably keep on your rain gear. Right?

I feel you though, I don't like leaving my gear outside and unsecured.

One technique I've used before is to carry the motorcycle's cover with me.

I can then just drape everything I want over the tank the seat, and the put the cover on...hiding it all.
I then put a motion sensitive brake clamp alarm on it and walk away.

No, it's not secure, but people don't want to steal things they don't know are there. Since a full bike cover is usually waterproof as well, this could be a good solution.

Here's a LINK to the discussion of using a cover to store things. It has some photos of what my bike looks like when covered and storing things under the cover.

Last edited:
I guess some clarification would help. My Wife and I are going to a convention this weekend out of town. We are leaving early in the morning on Saturday and are going to leave the motorcycle in the parking lot of the hotel we will be staying in. Unfortunately, check-in time won't be until after we are already in the convention hall, so we can't store our gear in the room and there is no coat check at the convention center. The gear to be stored is 2 jackets and 2 overpants, so we can change at the bike. The hard luggage will be full and our gear wouldn't fit there anyway (factory hard luggage). I don't yet have a cover, so I can't use that. If I'm going to buy one, it will be the Kwikover since it's pretty compact. I'm guessing I may be able to squeeze 2 jackets and 2 trousers under that cover, but that won't help the helmets. I may have to get creative with either a small tarp or trash bags. I like the idea of the brake clamp alarm.

Will the hotel not store luggage and stuff before check in? I’ve had hotels do that several times. They usually have a room by the desk for that purpose.

On the odd occasion I've been in your situation I just carry the clothing and helmet with me and put it it down in the room the meeting is in. Sure, someone might stare at you or take a second glance but it's more of a conversation starter than a problem. This may not be possible in a convention center but maybe you know an exhibiter that can keep the stuff in their booth or space.

Will the hotel not store luggage and stuff before check in? I’ve had hotels do that several times. They usually have a room by the desk for that purpose.

That's what I was thinking too. Never stayed at a hotel that wouldn't store something for me before check in or after check out.

That's what I was thinking too. Never stayed at a hotel that wouldn't store something for me before check in or after check out.

Good point.

And a quick phone call to the hotel beforehand will easily confirm if they will do it for him or not. (Can't imagine they wouldn't).

You can just bring a long chain or cable and run it through all sleeves, legs, helmet and lock it down. Remove all items from pockets first and lock them up in your luggage

On the odd occasion I've been in your situation I just carry the clothing and helmet with me and put it it down in the room the meeting is in. Sure, someone might stare at you or take a second glance but it's more of a conversation starter than a problem. This may not be possible in a convention center but maybe you know an exhibiter that can keep the stuff in their booth or space.

This is a large expo center event with many people going between many tables/booths. There is nowhere secure to leave it, unfortunately.

Good point.

And a quick phone call to the hotel beforehand will easily confirm if they will do it for him or not. (Can't imagine they wouldn't).

That's what we are hoping for as plan "A", but they have been non-committal as to whether or not we can leave it there. We want a plan "B" just in case, as well as something in place for future camping trips.

That's what we are hoping for as plan "A", but they have been non-committal as to whether or not we can leave it there. We want a plan "B" just in case, as well as something in place for future camping trips.

if they cant commit to "watching" your stuff til you can check in, I would be looking for another hotel, one that is willing to do whatever is necessary to keep a guest.

I tour 2 up and have found carrying a couple of the Pacsafe slash-proof helmet bags very useful:
Lidsafeâ„¢ Anti Theft Helmet Bag
We use them to lock our Rukka gear in - at a push a jacket and pants will fit in each. They are waterprooof, well made with good locks and roll up quite small. Pacsafe used to do some larger waterproof sacks but seem to have discontinued those.

I tour 2 up and have found carrying a couple of the Pacsafe slash-proof helmet bags very useful:
Lidsafeâ„¢ Anti Theft Helmet Bag
We use them to lock our Rukka gear in - at a push a jacket and pants will fit in each. They are waterprooof, well made with good locks and roll up quite small. Pacsafe used to do some larger waterproof sacks but seem to have discontinued those.

Thanks! I didn't know that Pacsafe made a helmet bag. I had been looking at the exomesh bags, but they obviously don't help with the rain. The Lidsafe doesn't show up on Pacsafe's website and it appears to be unavailable everywhere except UK suppliers. I will have to order a few while they are still obtainable.

Good thread, Normally I'll just stash my stuff with my bike. if it's bad weather, I'm going to be parking my bike pretty close to civilization and noones going to have the guts to mess with it. Plus, it'll be there drying. Lately though, I got to use my new rain suit twice, it's been pretty handy in keeping my actual gear dry. I can walk right in wherever I'm going. Regardless my helmet is going with me whereever I go... That's the most important piece of gear to me ( http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/qwest-matte-black-9418-prd1.htm )

Drop the other shoe already.... What did you end up doing?
The hotel had no problem watching our gear for us. I figured they would do it for us, but the person we spoke to on the phone before going couldn't absolutely commit. It has highlighted the need to prepare something for the next time I'm in the same situation. It's not always a hotel that we are going to.

The hotel had no problem watching our gear for us. I figured they would do it for us, but the person we spoke to on the phone before going couldn't absolutely commit. It has highlighted the need to prepare something for the next time I'm in the same situation. It's not always a hotel that we are going to.

Thanks for letting us know!

Back