• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil leaking under the kickstand

Baraq

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new and not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyway, I got my bike last year, and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that there's an oil puddle that's been forming under the kickstand... well not a puddle per se, but one or two oil trops. The thing is, I notice that it happens when I get home after getting stuck in traffic during the day (which make the engine get a bit hot). The next day is when I notice the puddle

I took some pictures but I'm not sure if they will be helpful

I could see that there is an oil track running down the exhaust here, but couldn't see where it's coming from

Have any of you ever had an issue like this? Or can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Ps.: sorry for my english, I'm from Brazil

20140602_193038.jpg20140602_192948.jpg20140602_192937.jpg

I've changed a while ago, 2 or 3 weeks but I'm don't really think it's related to the engine oil. I mean... it seems to be leaking from a specific part you know? I did not have the chance to stop by a dealership yet.

Too much chain lube?

Remove the sprocket cover and clean it all up, then monitor it for further leaks. Refrain from over oiling the chain to eliminate that as a cause.

Engine seals that could leak in that area are the shift lever shaft seal and the transmission output shaft seal (behind the front sprocket). Again, clean it all up, then check to later to find the source.

I'd expect over lubing of the chain is the cause.

Last edited:
Would any of you think it might be the oil I put on the chain? I stopped by the dealership few days ago and they lubed up with oil instead of the oil spray I'm used to use to do it. Anyway... i noticed it before this day as well but I only had the chance to take pictures and join this fourm today

Would any of you think it might be the oil I put on the chain? I stopped by the dealership few days ago and they lubed up with oil instead of the oil spray I'm used to use to do it. Anyway... i noticed it before this day as well but I only had the chance to take pictures and join this fourm today

If you put OIL on your chain, then it could be this.
Wipe the chain clean and dry and use "chain lube" instead.

I have seen the same thing when using the synthetic chain lube. I switched to Chain Wax, cleaned the area up and have not seen it since. Maybe because the synthetic was thinner?

The odds do seem to point towards an overlubed chain, (which along with surrounding areas, even looks wet itself, so that helps the impression) and if the shop used gear lube, then it also makes sense that it shows up after a ride and the chain and surrounding bits are warm/hot. Gear lube is usually quite thick, but it like all oil, thins as temperature increases.

It starts to thin and gets flung into the front sprocket cover, collects in enough quantity, and then drips down.

What's it smell like? Is there kind of a stinky smell coming from the chain and oily parts? If so, then it's almost for sure gear lube. It has a pretty distinct smell to it. :yuck:

Keep us up to date with your findings, and good luck! Hopefully there's no actual leak! :)

I think the best advice is to clean the area. It probably is excess chain oil but "What If" it's not? I'd clean the area like what was suggested and look it over well.

Guys, thank you for your assistance! I was thinking of it and indeed it may be related to the chain lube... I'll stop by the dealership today to make sure but thank you very very much!!

I'll let you know about the dealership feedback

I use oil on the chains of all of my bikes and all of them do exactly what you have described. I wouldn't even bother going to the dealer.

Back