• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x with Hi Viz Wheel Lighting...for being seen at night

glorider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just go a NC700x after 20 years without a bike. Love being back on two wheels. Installed the Lunasee Hi Viz Wheel Lighting system to make my bike more visible at night (not as much of a risk taker as i used to be!). This system is pretty amazing. Provides great side visibility - and the best thing is you know its a motorcycle almost instantly because of the solid rings of light. Posted this on the welcome thread, but anyone interested in being more visible at night should check this out. And it looks pretty sleek too. [video=youtube_share;EEvjTzxC0Qo]http://youtu.be/EEvjTzxC0Qo[/video]

I actually had the dealer install it (I didn't want to mess up my brand new bike trying to do it myself...I haven't had a bike in over 20 years). But it's fairly straightforward once you figure out specifically where the LEDs and related brackets will mount. I actually downloaded the install instructions from Lunasee website and then reviewed it with the tech at the shop before they did the install. I will let you know how it performs as i beat it up a bit more...

I was considering about getting it when I got my bike. However, what drove me away was the inconclusive legality of it on the highway. So my direction changed and got the reflective rim tape instead.

Your local enforcement (city police, state police, chp, etc...) may let you get away with it or may not??? don't know and don't want to test that out either.

Here is what lunasee says about the enforcement:
"Regulations vary from state to state and country to country. After our own research, we discovered that interpretation and enforcement of regulations can vary significantly – even among enforcement agencies in the same area. The AMA confirmed the difficulty and complexity in getting clear answers on this. We also had difficulty interpreting the written regulations and applying them to our technology, which is quite different from other typical vehicle lighting. As a result, we leave it to the end user to assess and determine the local regulations and enforcement practices. We have included a separate switch with our kit, so you can always turn the system off if you run into any problems with enforcement officers."

Ken

Last edited:
i actually saw a bike with that on it this evening, on the way home from a bike night. the only drawback I see, aside from leos is ONLY being able to see it from the side. I would prefer to be seen from the front and rear also, not that it would make much diff in atl traffic, lol.

The problem I have is during my commute, I drive right by the san francisco police station/hall of justice and my end of commute I am surrounded by chp (patrol cars and motor bikes) at the bridge. I just don't want to get hassled everyday and get pulled over. Just avoiding as much trouble as I can.
I understand the concept of lunasee (I like the product), but some of these police guys are by the book and will CITE you just because.

Ken

I could see this being useful. I probably won't buy it but I can see its usefulness.

Just this morning as I was headed into work at 05:15 and I had a close call. A car was entering the Hwy from an onramp. We would converge on the Hwy at about the same point but the 350Z would be about a half a length ahead of me. I was in the left lane but something told me they might come all the way over and sure enough she did. Luckily I anticipated it and was already on the throttle. Her front tire came within 2' of my rear tire and they pulled away.

Maybe something like this would have caught there attention as entered the Hwy. If it doesn’t break any laws and you have the money or desire I say go for it.

I really love the idea, I really like the looks of it. The laws got to be more exact however.
It is written like fish and game regulations..... need to be a lawyer to figure it out and then its the officer on how he interprets it.

ken

Got laws? We do! Too many.....
It's a shame when a safety product could even remotely be considered against any law.

Since it's glow-in-the-dark, lighting laws wouldn't apply. The UV light shining on the glow tape shouldn't be visible to anyone if it's positioned correctly. That being said, that wouldn't keep you from being hassled if the LEO doesn't like it.

Being seen front and rear is definitely important too. What I like about this wheel light system is that it creates a visual symbol that drivers can recognize easily. When you see the rings of light on the wheels, you know its a motorcycle. Just like when reflective rim tape reflects rings of light - the rings define you as a motorcycle. No confusion like you can have with a single spot of light (headlight or taillight) or single reflector that blends in with so many other points of light in the surrounds -- and even though it may be visible, it may not be easy to figure out what it is or judge distance/speed etc. I'm pretty sure drivers will be aware of my bike on the road much sooner than they otherwise would -- particularly when i'm in their periphery vision. This wouldn't have mattered to me in younger days... but does now. Every bit helps...

Back