• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

California or bust!

Garydj

Reaction score
Visit site
In just about a week I leave on my road trip west! I go in for my 12K service tomorrow and my new Pilot Road 4s have almost 2K on them, so I should be in good shape. This will be my longest motorcycle trip to date. Last summer, I took the NC700 to Ohio, but this will be considerably longer.

I'll go SW across Kansas, then clip the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles on US Hwy 54. Connecting with I40, I am planning to stop in the Albuquerque and Flagstaff areas before hitting California where I will visit a childhood friend NE of Bakersfield. After that, I plan to avoid LA and head to the PCH for a ride up to Santa Cruz where I grew up.

Coming back, I would like to take US Hwy 50 through Nevada (The Loneliest Road), Utah, Colorado and Kansas. This will depend on the weather as it looks like early June may be a bit cooler that I would like through the mountains.

If anyone along the way would be available for a meetup, shoot me a message and maybe we can make it happen.

For any who are interested, you can follow my progress on my Spot page here:

SPOT Shared Page

Sounds like a nice trip. In about a week I'll be prepping to go up to Lake Tahoe otherwise I'd try to meet up somewhere. I'm a bit north of Bakersfield though, up in Stockton.

Wow. Just read a story in American Motorcyclist about a guy doing a similar route, 'cept I think he was from Georgia. Have a good trip!

My first day is done.

Today was a day of errors on my part. It all started when I pulled over to check my gps and forgot to put my glove back on. It blew away as I ride off and was not to be found when I went back for it.

Next I forget to reinstall my 30 liter dry bag back on my passenger seat after getting gas. It rolled off my top box and was sucked into the rear tire well. Unknown to me, it bent my home-made saddlebag bracket. So for the next 90 miles I had a noise I couldn't place every time I hit a bump. Thankfully it looks like the tire was not damaged.

It got to 100 degrees today and the wind was unreal with gusts to 40mph they say. I am hoping for a calmer, more error free day tomorrow!

Last edited:
By your spot I see u went to dodge city,last time I was there it was 100 in the shade.hope for a better day tomorrow

Well buddy, here's wishing smoother passages for the rest of your trip. Sounds like you just needed to work out the kinks and find your groove a bit more. Longer trips can be a bit overwhelming at first. I'm sure most of us have had a similar lapse or two or six. Good luck with the rest of the journey.

Next I forget to reinstall my 30 liter dry bag back on my passenger seat after getting gas. It rolled off my top box and was sucked into the rear tire well. Unknown to me, it bent my home-made saddlebag bracket. So for the next 90 miles I had a noise I couldn't place every time I hit a bump. Thankfully it looks like the tire was not damaged.
I have started to leave a gas station several time with a bag on the ground. Knowing my tendency to be forgetful, I always put bag in front of bike to keep me from leaving it behind, but I would get on bike, start it and then see my bag.

HondaBikePro's rack with hole for gas has eliminated this concern for me. Great upgrade if you don't carry passengers.

Another thing I often see others do is leave a key in the top case. My top case key is on the ring with my ignition key so no way to ride with it still in the top case.

Glad you got all your troubles out of the way now you can enjoy your ride, my first long trip will be in July for the WABDR. I too am a little nervous been practicing little rides but there's nothing doing it for real brother.

You'll get a routine down and you'll be good. No use in thinking about the past. Think about what's ahead and enjoy your trip. Be Safe.

You'll get a routine down and you'll be good. No use in thinking about the past. Think about what's ahead and enjoy your trip. Be Safe.

Do not follow my routine, because I run out of gas before I get to the filling station. But, do not have to worry about leaving my bag at the filling station that I never got to in the first place..

Last edited:
Back