• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sam Houston Forest Ride

I spent a couple of years working in Houston in the seventies. I wish I had known some of the those roads you show in your video. Well done

I spent a couple of years working in Houston in the seventies. I wish I had known some of the those roads you show in your video. Well done

In the seventies we were riding dirtbikes on the trails that go for miles and miles thru the forest. That was so much fun! Now there are tons of rules and regulations!
Glad u enjoyed!

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Glad u enjoyed Dave!

All I want to know is how did you have the freeway traffic diverted for your video? I have never seen that few cars on a Houston freeway during daylight in a long time. :) Enjoyed the video. I spent many a day in that forest back in my dirt days. When I first started we use to ride some trails that now are on the bottom of Lake Conroe.

All I want to know is how did you have the freeway traffic diverted for your video? I have never seen that few cars on a Houston freeway during daylight in a long time. :) Enjoyed the video. I spent many a day in that forest back in my dirt days. When I first started we use to ride some trails that now are on the bottom of Lake Conroe.

Lol!
That freeway is the just opened section of the Grand Parkway between I-10 and Hwy 290. Did ya notice the sky in that section of the vid? Not a cloud to be seen!

Lol!
That freeway is the just opened section of the Grand Parkway between I-10 and Hwy 290. Did ya notice the sky in that section of the vid? Not a cloud to be seen!
Ahh, haven't been over there yet. Yea, it was a Chamber of Commerce weekend and sorry, forgot to mention, the music was killer.

Thanks for posting the video. It brings back some memories from several years ago. I used to be stationed at Ft. Polk, LA. I'd take Hwy 190 West from DeRidder to Huntsville on I-45 and then head south. I was actually headed to Waller TX to skydive but my route took me through some nice areas and I have explored the Sam Houston Forest a few times.

Thanks for posting the video. It brings back some memories from several years ago. I used to be stationed at Ft. Polk, LA. I'd take Hwy 190 West from DeRidder to Huntsville on I-45 and then head south. I was actually headed to Waller TX to skydive but my route took me through some nice areas and I have explored the Sam Houston Forest a few times.

Cool. The pic in the video with the bikes at a bar b q joint is in Waller. They built a new Bucees across the highway from it, so it's kind of hurtin for business now! There's some pretty good roads thru the forest between Waller and Huntsville, but....
You, my friend, live in motorcycle heaven. I hafta get to the Texas hill country to compete with Arkansas roads. :)

Got out yesterday for a nice ride thru the tall pines north of the Houston area. The temp range was from 60-85 with mostly sunny skies.
Here's a video...hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXMPcKpqJdA

I had to work last weekend!

In any case, I think I may have recognized a few of those roads. I got lucky and bought 12 acres up there around Evergreen in 2009. (The SHNF has both public and private land.) My place is pretty much equal distance from my house in Houston whether I take I-45 or Hwy 59, but there is usually less traffic via 59 and it's way more scenic. This is my bike route unless I'm in a hurry:

My scenic bike route from Hwy 59

I go through Cleveland otherwise. You might want to give some of that route a try next time you are up there. My favorite section is Tony Tap Rd, but the Google street view car didn't drive it. There's even a few twisties on that part of FM 945 before you get to Hwy 150. (Though it may be that I've never seen any real "twisties".)

Good to hear from ya dog!

The Evergreen area is nice. You are fortunate to own property there.
I have explored that area quite a bit on paved roads. It wasn't til just recently that the interest has turned "dirty". Lol
Looking at the map I see a lot of of unpaved jewels near you! Looks like there may even be some creek crossings!!!

FYI: we rode the forest on the west side of I-45 (NW side of Lake Conroe) and came in from the Magnolia area.

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to go up to the Ouachita Nat Forest in Ark.
At the end of the video, I was all "Take the dirt road! Take it!" :eek:

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to go up to the Ouachita Nat Forest in Ark.
At the end of the video, I was all "Take the dirt road! Take it!" :eek:

Lol
The dirt road where we u turned was about 20' from the river. I was gonna go down there but my buddy said he saw someone in there...probably fishin...I didn't want to intrude! :cool:

Nice video, Searsboy! Who's version of the song did you use? I love it!

Hey Lenny!
Glad you enjoyed.
That version of the song was done by Dave Meniketti.
This has been one of my faves for many years. I saw Boz Scaggs in concert a few years back and he did a 14 minute version...almost brought tears... (of joy!!!).

Hey Lenny!
Glad you enjoyed.
That version of the song was done by Dave Meniketti.
This has been one of my faves for many years. I saw Boz Scaggs in concert a few years back and he did a 14 minute version...almost brought tears... (of joy!!!).

As a guitar player myself, I almost pissed my pants after the few first notes.... Never heard that version, thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Back