• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New helemt and boots

tew47

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about the FLY Paradigm helmet? I just ordered one for $99 on Motorcycle Superstore and one other site. Got a pair of Milwaukee Classic Harness boots that has the zipper up the back of the boot. Look just the old Dingo boots with the square toe.

Got the new Fly helmet today and the piece that controls the air vent on the top front of the helmet was broke off. had to send it back and wait till they receive it and give a refund and then order another one. just could not exchange it. Motorcycle Superstore. Has anyone else had this to happen?

Hmmm...maybe. I just won't put my big, ugly head in a hundred-dollar helmet. Scares me.

Bell helmets used to have an advertising campaign: "If you have a $20 head, then wear a $20 helmet." So I was really surprised when I read an extensive article in Motorcyclist magazine years ago where they found that even the cheapest DOT approved helmets were as safe as the expensive SNELL approved helmets. Basically the extra dollars just buy you better fabric/paint/venting/etc.

Here's a good article about helmets that mentions the Motorcyclist article: Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld

Hmmm...maybe. I just won't put my big, ugly head in a hundred-dollar helmet. Scares me.

Bell helmets used to have an advertising campaign: "If you have a $20 head, then wear a $20 helmet." So I was really surprised when I read an extensive article in Motorcyclist magazine years ago where they found that even the cheapest DOT approved helmets were as safe as the expensive SNELL approved helmets. Basically the extra dollars just buy you better fabric/paint/venting/etc.

Here's a good article about helmets that mentions the Motorcyclist article: Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld

Yes I remember the old Bell ads. Maybe it shows my age but I thought it was a $10 head and a $10 helmet? :confused: In either case, assigning a dollar value to one's head and comparing it to a helmet price is a silly exercise.

To each his own on helmet choice. "Most" any helmet is better than no helmet. But given that the low end helmets may still be DOT and Snell approved, I don't think safety is necessarily compromised by going with a low cost choice. You may chose a much higher priced unit because of better fit, comfort, noise reduction, ventilation, integrated sun shield, etc. I am fortunate that HJC helmets satisfy me and fit me very well. I just paid $81 for a new full face Hi-Vis HJC CL-16 that is DOT and Snell approved. (The CL-17 came out so the price dropped on the CL-16s). I don't believe that the low price of this helmet has any bearing on the quality of my protection in a potential crash.

Last edited:
I have seen and read a whole lot of helmet tests over the years. I have talked to a lot of helmet factory folks over the years also. I have also seen many a helmet after the fact. After a lot of reading and listing I came to a conclusion, that being what is important about a helmet is that is on you head. DOT, Snell, or price does not matter as much wearing a helmet.

Last edited:
When we started requiring hard hats at work an illustration was a hard hat weighs 16 ounces and a head 16 pounds. The math works out to an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'm with OCR. Wear one.

I don't wear full gear 100% of the time. Close. The one thing I always wear without question is a helmet. No ifs, ands, or buts.

You should check out Kapsco moto, DOT approved, full face modular helmet. 66$ delivered to the door. I have one, 3 vents, comfortable, DOT APPROVED. Cant see paying 600$ for something I can pay 66$ for and get the same safety approvals for...

Interesting article but Just reading "some helmets may increase risk..." can give the wrong impression.

The article is about cheaply made helmets that were seized by the government. As I read it, the increased risk is only that by ginving a false sense of protection a rider might take more chances than if bare headed.

Got the replaced Fly helmet. It is very light and very quiet. Using my Sena 5fm my wife could not tell I was on the bike talking to her on the phone.

tew47- Glad you're happy with your helmet!

I am fortunate that HJC helmets satisfy me and fit me very well. I just paid $81 for a new full face Hi-Vis HJC CL-16 that is DOT and Snell approved. (The CL-17 came out so the price dropped on the CL-16s). I don't believe that the low price of this helmet has any bearing on the quality of my protection in a potential crash.

THat's the same helmet I have. But now I'm mad! I paid much more than that!- LOL! good deal... I'm very happy with it.

Yes you may get a cheaper helmet which has passed the DOT standard test, but is the DOT test one fixed standard? What I'm trying to say is - yes a cheap helmet may just pass the DOT test, whereas a better quality helmet may pass the minimum standard required with ease. So the more expensive helmet is still the safer helmet.

There is a graded system of tests now called 'Sharp'. Helmets are graded 1 to 5 stars for protection on the various parts of the helmet. Front, back and left and right side etc.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

On a personal level I would still go for better quality helmet everytime.

Last edited:
the problem with the $100 head / $100 helmet idea is that improved protection is NOT linear.

If I then buy a $200 helmet, has my protection doubled? Probably NOT.

Helmets should provide a basic/minimum amount of protection... and beyond that... the price stops being about more protection.
I think that's the point of DOT/SNELL ratings.

For the sake of discussion, I'm a fan of the ECE 22.05 test. From what I recall when I was originally shopping for a helmet, it's much like Snell except more pertinent to normal (non-racing) conditions. It's like comparing a 1950's stiff body car to a modern tin can. The one is much more robust and would crumple at a much slower rate thereby protecting you better in a high speed crash compared to the modern high crumple cars which don't spread out the energy of a faster crash over as long a period of time.

In case that didn't convey that well, think of it like a suspension. Higher speed being comparable to higher weight (more like energy = mv^2 while a spring is something like 1/2 kX^2 with k being effectively stiffness and x being the displacement of the spring but you get the idea), a softer suspension is preferable for a lighter weight rider (lower speed crash) and a heavier suspension is preferable for a heavier rider (higher speed crash analog). Lower weight doesn't need to dissipate the same force so can afford to give easier while a higher weight is indeed stiffer but benefits from the extended time of that stiffness rather than giving easily at first then not at all as the suspension is bottomed out.

For the sake of argument, another consideration is that impact alone is probably not the biggest issue since from a physics standpoint the vertical impact on the road is the same if you fell over at a standstill. All the other factors are rotational or other componentized forces like drag and abrasion of the helmet as you slide along, torsion on your neck due to said slide, sliding into something like a tree or guard rail, etc.

When I bought my NC700X I used a big promotional discount to splurge on a Shoei RF-1100. It is noticeably more comfortable than my old KBC TK-8, but is it $300 more comfortable?--No. Both helmets are DOT/Snell approved, but when I eventually replace my current helmet years from now I won't be getting a $350-400 helmet. I find it's just not worth the extra expense.

Back