• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wiring LED Lights with Honda's Acc Harness

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So Honda's acc harness has a three wire connector with green, blue and brown wires. How are these wires configured? I know the brown wire is the ground and one wire has 12V when the key is in the run position. I want to use this connector to turn my LED lights on with the high beam. :confused: Still waiting for my shop manual. :mad:

In the three wire connector, the third wire is 12 volts (ref to gnd) when the high beam is on. That's the one you want to trigger your LEDs. I don't remember the color of the high beam signal wire, but it's the one different from all the other accessory harness wires. Easy to confirm with a voltmeter.

In the three wire connector, the third wire is 12 volts (ref to gnd) when the high beam is on. That's the one you want to trigger your LEDs. I don't remember the color of the high beam signal wire, but it's the one different from all the other accessory harness wires. Easy to confirm with a voltmeter.

My issue is that none of the three wires has a trigger to ground. I'm assuming that the 12V wire is a constant and the other two provide a switched ground? Are the two remaining ground wires a grounded low beam and high beam?

Ok sort of figured it out. This is a 2014 bike. The main harness that plugs into the acc harness has three wires. Red/white which has 12V, purple which has 12V and brown which is a ground. The honda auxilary harness has the blue wire in a different cavity. I can move it so that it connects to the red/white wire on the main harness but it will be a constant 12V. Are the new bikes not able to control the acc light with the high beam?

This is the wiring of NC700 Option 6P connector:

Red/White (R/W) - Backup Power --> Unconnected! Rewired to blue!
Violet/Red (V/R) - Switched Power -- > Brown
Light Blue (Lb) - Right Turn
Green (G) - GND
Orange (O) - Left Turn

Switched power needs the installation of the relay & the fuse that came with the sub harness.

Test everything with a voltmeter before make any connections.

I only have three wires on the 6 pin connector. The bikes a 2014 NC750X. The wires are red/white which has 12V, purple that has 12V and a brown wire that has ground. That's it. I'll take a picture and post.

The fuse and relay have been installed in the indicated place and the two wires that have 12v only do when the key is in the on position.

Last edited:
Well then forget about my comments above since your 2014 is wired different than my 2012. Sorry for the confusion.

I used the intelligent lighting controller ( Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights ) very easy plus it works off your native light switch, wires directly to your add on accessory harness, check out mine or Brillot2000 how to, lots of photos, you only need two wires from the harness brown and blue
040 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what the connector looks like.

IMG_0493%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0494%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0495%255B1%255D.JPG

I only have three wires on the 6 pin connector. The bikes a 2014 NC750X. The wires are red/white which has 12V, purple that has 12V and a brown wire that has ground. That's it. I'll take a picture and post.

The fuse and relay have been installed in the indicated place and the two wires that have 12v only do when the key is in the on position.

Yep, that's different from my '12 Honda accessory harness wiring as well. On mine (on the option harness; already installed and other Honda accessories hooked to it and its relay), the 4-pin connector has only 3 wires in it. One is ground, one is switched +12V, and the other is +12V WHEN the high-beam is on. Otherwise that one's dead. That high-beam wire is blue, IIRC (I just did this wiring of my LEDs a few days ago, but didn't try really hard to commit wire colors to memory).

For my install, since I'm already going through the Honda option relay and harness, I took power for the LED aux lights through that high-beam-switched wire. My LEDs draw ~1 amp, so I'm figuring/hoping the factory wiring and whatever else will deliver that without undue heat or 'wear' anywhere. Perhaps what I 'should' have done was to use the blue high-beam-connected wire to trigger yet another relay, and taken power for the LED lights from the +12V switched wire. However, that seemed kinda like the same thing as what I've done, but just with extra parts and complications. Time will tell whether my choice was good, bad, or indifferent. :)

Good luck!

Okay, we were typing at about the same time. What you're showing is not what the '12 Honda option harness offers as the LED aux light connector. What I wired mine into, and what I believe the Honda LED aux lights plug into (in the markets where they're sold) is the _4-pin_ connector on the 'output' end of the Honda option harness. On my '12, there are 4(?) connectors on the output/downstream end of the Honda option harness. They're for heated grips, the aux power outlet, the LED lights (not available from Honda here), and something else I don't know/don't recall. Do you have those 4 connectors? They're all 2- to 4-pin connectors on my '12.

So Honda's acc harness has a three wire connector with green, blue and brown wires. How are these wires configured? I know the brown wire is the ground and one wire has 12V when the key is in the run position. I want to use this connector to turn my LED lights on with the high beam. :confused: Still waiting for my shop manual. :mad:

I wired mine using the Honda Sub-harness, used one of the 3-Pin plugs and the 4-Pin plug. One for the supply for the relay controller and the other for supply voltage to that same relay. I wanted a rely to allow me to use the LED Driving lights anytime or turn them "OFF" as needed. The current draws are not that high, about 2.0A at the most. You can use the same supply voltage for the light and relay control. You could also connect the LED Lights directly to the harness and them them power up when the ignition is turned "ON" too.

As for "Grounding", it's always best to use a Ring Terminal installed under a bolt to the chassis for the heaviest loads.

OK at work so this is the best I can do for a picture. This is the harness that connects to the 6 pin connector shown above.

$(KGrHqJHJFUFF-hVSrFoBRip73hoK!~~60_57.JPG

getImg.php

From the drawing you can see the 4 connectors. The larger connector has three wires(blue,brown and green) that I though was for the auxiliary lights and the other smaller connectors are two wire switched connectors (green and brown).

The larger connector in the harness, I thought was for the auxiliary LED lights and the other small connectors are for other accessories such as the 12V truck socket and heated grips.

Last edited:
The larger connector in the harness, I thought was for the auxiliary LED lights and the other small connectors are for other accessories such as the 12V truck socket and heated grips.

Your thoughts are correct. The "3-Pin" plugs are the for the Honda Accessories that are currently available, such as the 12-Volt Accessory Socket and Heated Grips. The "4-Pin" plug would have been for the Honda LED Driving Lights available in Europe.

Mine are powered through the 4-Pin Plug and a 3-Pin Plug is used as the "Bias Voltage" for the relay controller that I used. Relay Switch Control I used only the switch controller from a similar kit. I later turned the relay harness into my Horn Relay Harness...

OK at work so this is the best I can do for a picture. This is the harness that connects to the 6 pin connector shown above.

getImg.php

From the drawing you can see the 4 connectors. The larger connector has three wires(blue,brown and green) that I though was for the auxiliary lights and the other smaller connectors are two wire switched connectors (green and brown).

Ok I've been watching this thread now and I apologize if this has now already been covered. In the larger connector of the aux harness (from the drawing above) with the three wires, green is ground, brown is switched power and blue is switched power from the high beam circuit. I think you mentioned that you felt brown was ground but it's not. Solid green is ground throughout ALL the wiring on the NC (and most other Honda bikes as well).

So if you want to run your LEDs ONLY when the highbeams are on (which you seem to state in your first post) you can either simply power them from the blue wire directly and ground them with the green or to a different grounding point OR you can use the blue wire to trigger a separate relay and power them with the brown wire or directly off the battery or from another switched constant power source (i.e. running lights). If they are low draw I would have no problem just running them off the blue wire without the extra relay since it seems that's what Honda intended by providing that wire.

In any case it is highly advisable for you to also place an inline fuse somewhere between the lights and the connection into the aux harness on the powered wired.

Anyhow, sorry again if this has already been cleared up.

Your thoughts are correct. The "3-Pin" plugs are the for the Honda Accessories that are currently available, such as the 12-Volt Accessory Socket and Heated Grips. The "4-Pin" plug would have been for the Honda LED Driving Lights available in Europe.

Do you mean "2 pin" which is a two wire connector and "3-pin" which is a 4 terminal connector but only has 3 wires installed?

Can someone confirm to me the configuration of the of the 3 wires in the large connectors. Is the brown wire the ground, the green wire is the switched power source and not sure what the blue wire does.

Do you mean "2 pin" which is a two wire connector and "3-pin" which is a 4 terminal connector but only has 3 wires installed?

Can someone confirm to me the configuration of the of the 3 wires in the large connectors. Is the brown wire the ground, the green wire is the switched power source and not sure what the blue wire does.

Yes I have confirmed in my post above. Green is ground, brown is switched power and blue is high beam switched power.

Ok I've been watching this thread now and I apologize if this has now already been covered. In the larger connector of the aux harness (from the drawing above) with the three wires, green is ground, brown is switched power and blue is switched power from the high beam circuit. I think you mentioned that you felt brown was ground but it's not. Solid green is ground throughout ALL the wiring on the NC (and most other Honda bikes as well).

So if you want to run your LEDs ONLY when the highbeams are on (which you seem to state in your first post) you can either simply power them from the blue wire directly and ground them with the green or to a different grounding point OR you can use the blue wire to trigger a separate relay and power them with the brown wire or directly off the battery or from another switched constant power source (i.e. running lights). If they are low draw I would have no problem just running them off the blue wire without the extra relay since it seems that's what Honda intended by providing that wire.

In any case it is highly advisable for you to also place an inline fuse somewhere between the lights and the connection into the aux harness on the powered wired.

Anyhow, sorry again if this has already been cleared up.

Yes probably just mixed up the brown and green. I'm doing this from work. My problem is my blue wire is not a switched power source for my high beam. I don't have any high beam switched power source right from honda 6 pin connector that attaches into the honda auxilary harness.

No, there are 3-Positions on those connector housings and theres 3-4 of those plugs that you refer to as "2-Pin". There's also a single 4-Position on the connector housing with only 3 wires installed.

These are the mating connectors, CON-30 cable Assembly and CON-40 cable Assembly that I used for my installation...

OK, I've become suspicious than there's more to the story here with this option cable thing, being that several different description have been provided by members, none of which seem to match the OP's situation. So here's the deal. I looked at the schematics for the 2012 NC700X,XA,XD, and SA. The signals available at the Option 6P connector are NOT the same on all of these bike models. The wiring actually comes in three different favors!

Based on the picture that Ruggybuggy posted of his Option 6P connector, his wires appear to be Green (ground), Violet/Red (switched 12 volts from the option relay), and Red/White (12 volts coming off a different fuse - possibly 24 hour power). If there is no Blue (and by blue I don't mean dark blue or violet) wire in the Option 6P connector, the bike does not have the bright light signal available for the accessory harness. This wiring appears to be the same as the NC700SA model.

So there you have it. Mystery solved.

For future reference, 2012 NC700 models, signals available at the Option 6P connector are:

SA: Ground, Switched 12v, Unswitched 12v
X & XA: Above plus 12v when brights on
XD: all of the above plus left turn signal and right turn signal.
It appears the 750XA is wired like the 700SA.

An additional clarification, as was stated in the post above, the accessory harness has three connectors with 3 pin positions, but having wire terminals only in the outer two positions. The fourth connector is a 4 position connector having wire terminals in only 3 of the positions.

Last edited:
Back