• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Doing 600 mile maintenance this weekend..Anything I should watch out for?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be doing my 600 mile maintenance this weekend, but at closer to 900 miles since the NC is my only transportation at the moment. I have a copy of factory manual and most things look pretty straight forward. Anything I should watch out for? I've read the reports of the stuck oil filters so I have a couple of different wrenches available just in case. Anything else? Looks like other than changing the oil and filters (engine and DCT) it is all inspect this and inspect that. What about the steering head bearings? Should those be looked at and snugged up a bit?

This is the first chain drive motorcycle I've had since about 1968 so I'm a bit rusty on that particular aspect of maintenance also.

TIA for any help on this..

I was getting ready to say watch out for the stuck oil filter... I didn't have that problem but MOST people did.

As far as chain maintenance goes.. this thread by Beemerphile is the best chain thread on here. I sure miss having Beemerphile around!

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/how-tos/433-drive-chain-maintenance-3.html

By the way welcome to the forum... there are several other Iron Butt riders on here (Including Beemerphile). I'm sure you can find tons of good info on here and if you don't find it just ask.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this as well, the only part that has me a bit confused is the "check all chassis nuts, bolts, and screws". I have a torque wrench, and know how to use it, I just don't know which bolts to check. The list of fasteners they give torque values for is rather long, I can't imagine I need to check all of them.

I've been looking at this as well, the only part that has me a bit confused is the "check all chassis nuts, bolts, and screws". I have a torque wrench, and know how to use it, I just don't know which bolts to check. The list of fasteners they give torque values for is rather long, I can't imagine I need to check all of them.

Howdy from Texas, and welcome to the forum. How many miles do you have on your NC7 ? My guess would be, if pacific bolts were not given, is to give your bike a quick once over to see if any thing has come lose or does not look generally correct. It does not happen very often, but every now and then you will find something the factory did not get correct.

Back