• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure First Impressions

Hmm, he REALLY doesn't like that bike ;) - I wonder if there is some history there?

I would be suspicious of one extremely negative review like that if all the others are towards the other extreme...

How do Suzuki sell bikes in the US if they don't allow test rides? Crazy...:confused:

EDIT: ah, just noticed all your reviews are from that WebBikeWorld website - is there some commercial link there?

Last edited:
I believe the short inseam of the rider is a problem many of us have. Hard to hold up bikes with tall seat heights. This will cut down on your comfort zone on a bike.

I had the same thoughts when I examined one in the dealership a few weeks ago. Suzuki has never been known for it's attention to fit and finish and the new 1000 upholds this reputation admirably. It is incredibly cheap looking never mind riding it.

I have just read a short review by the editor of a UK magazine. He is normally a rational individual and gives balanced views. Reading his views has me wondering if we are dealing with the same motorcycle in this thread. He is happy with the Motor and its throttle response. He likes the handling but says the suspension is on the soft side. He summarises by suggesting that he is going to make the most of "this wonderfully considered and capable motorcycle" over the summer months. Food for thought.........

I had the same thoughts when I examined one in the dealership a few weeks ago. Suzuki has never been known for it's attention to fit and finish and the new 1000 upholds this reputation admirably. It is incredibly cheap looking never mind riding it.

My last bike was a 650 V-Strom that I had for 7 years and 96k miles - only one indicator bulb had to be changed in that time, no rust, serviced by me sporadically for most of its life and it was a better bike than the 2 year old Versys I had for a couple of months before the NC. On the Strom forum, there's a guy with a 2005 Strom with 300k miles and still going strong...I'd wait until an NC comes along with a similar mileage before questioning Suzuki's quality....:cool:

Last edited:
My last bike was a 650 V-Strom that I had for 7 years and 96k miles - only one indicator bulb had to be changed in that time, no rust, serviced by me sporadically for most of its life and it was a better bike than the 2 year old Versys I had for a couple of months before the NC. On the Strom forum, there's a guy with a 2005 Strom with 300k miles and still going strong...I'd wait until an NC comes along with a similar mileage before questioning Suzuki's quality....:cool:
The NC is just one vehicle in a long line of products as is the DL650. Judged as a whole Honda has built a reputation for fit and finish generally considered of a higher level than Suzuki. You may not agree but let's narrow the term. For example, as cheap as the NC is to buy its cast wheels are completely machined polished before being anodized and painted. Suzuki casts a DL650 wheel and polishes only the outer rim and leaves the spokes and hub a rough casting. That is "fit and finish" not how many miles you can put on it. They both roll just fine but one is nicer looking.... It's finished to a higher level. If you notice and place value such things, the wheels are just one of many differences that set the brands apart.

I've had two DL650's and the quality of the bike isn't anywhere near the NC. Panels just don't line up as well and motor wise the NC is a much quieter. Let the clutch out on the Suzuki while it's idling and the first time I heard it I thought there was a serious engine problem but "they all do that". Did I mention how fugly it is!

I did sit on the new 1000 at the bike show, it did seem to be an improvement but man that bike is big. I have a 32" inseam and not intimidated buy a taller bike so hopped on it and stood it upright. There was a guy next to me that was interested in the bike and asked me how it felt but was too intimidated by it's size and height to consider getting on it and he was taller than me.

Don't get me wrong - I love my NC. Compared to the Strom, the economy is obviously great, the engine sounds nicer as standard, the gear change is a bit smoother and it's definitely better looking but I haven't particularly noticed anything better in terms of finish. Panel gaps were fine on the Strom, as they are on the NC, never noticed the wheels being rough or any other poor quality manufacturing.

The seat on the Strom was more comfortable and seemed to be better quality than the very-obviously vinyl of the NC. Mine gets rucked up a little, so there is always an impression of my butt on the seat for a short while after I get off :rolleyes: which never happened on the Strom.

I'm also a little concerned about the finish on the frunk. As it is plastic, there are already some fine scratches and marks which cleaning hasn't helped (might look into some wax-type product). The metal tank on the Strom was pristine when I sold it, even after using a magnetic tank bag on it occasionally.

I know Honda has a better rep but, from my experience, Suzuki is just as good.

If you're interested, this is the guy with the 300k miler (now 323k miles, I believe):

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,21129.0.html

Last edited:
The only Suzuki I ever owned was a DRZ 400S. It was a sweet little bike, well finished, and everything fitted as it should. After owning it I would definitely buy another Suzuki if one cropped up that took my fancy. There is a modern tendency to manufacture as cheaply as possible. My Triumph Explorer has aspects to it that are less than desirable. The plastics and some of the paint finishes on the motor, to mention two. The NC and my KTM's have fared reasonably well. I occasionally hear horror stories also about all of the other manufacturers in varying degrees. I am afraid it is a sign of our (disposable) times.

I can be as objective as possible. There are also many "better quality" bikes which XXX brand makes over YYY brands.
In general, really generically, the following is my impression and experience with Japanese bike makes during 1980s til now.

Ranked in order of my perceived quality assessment over the average bike:

1. Honda
2. Kawasaki
3. Suzuki
4. Yamaha

Of course this opens a can of worms because owners of a Yam will battlecry over their last place.
Remember, this is my perception over the general quality levels over many bikes in their range.

I mean welding, plastics, fitment of parts, durability, shine of plastics, etc etc.
Not rocket science. Just a layman looking carefully at the outside parts of different bikes of similar capacity and price over this range of brands.

I've only owned one Suzuki and it was a dog. Sold it a couple months after I bought it. To heavy and no power. It was a "Can O Tuna" 750.

Back