• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dual Sport or Street Helmet??

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what everyone wearing on their head? I guess it also comes down to what you think the NCX is. Is it a dual sport or strictly a street bike. Buddy at work who rides a BMW GS1150 thinks the Honda is strictly a street bike so wear a street helmet.

Schuberth C3 Pro here..

First time you do a left or right shoulder check at 75mph with a billed dirt bike helmet your head will be ripped off.
Plus, the NC700x isn't a dirt bike ;-)

I've never even thought about matching the helmet to the styling of the bike. I just go with what is comfortable to me, which is either a full face, flip-up, or 3/4 helmet with flip down shield depending on temperature and where and how far I'm going.
Then too, the only off road riding I've done on the NC was to find a place to park in an un-paved parking lot.

Bob

Yeah, It depends on the riding, not the bike. If you're riding street, an aero street helmet is nicer, If you're riding dusty trails, a peak to shade your eyes, and ability to wear googles are nicer.

So what everyone wearing on their head? I guess it also comes down to what you think the NCX is. Is it a dual sport or strictly a street bike. Buddy at work who rides a BMW GS1150 thinks the Honda is strictly a street bike so wear a street helmet.

No, it doesn't come down to what I think the NCX is. I have never thought that the definition or label of the motorcycle strictly determined the type of helmet worn. That makes it sound like a styling exercise. Did the BMW store plant this idea?

Wear what works for you for comfort and protection. I wear a street helmet for street riding. For me it gives the better weather and noise protection. YMMV.

Being on a very limited budget, I just bought an HJC CL-16. I like it a lot over the half helmet (same brand) I was using. I bought it the day after I got on the interstate to try and find the sweet spot for cruising and a bug hit my face doing around 75 mph. That thing felt like a rock!

One day, I will get a better helmet. I really like OCR's Nolan!

Being on a very limited budget, I just bought an HJC CL-16.

One day, I will get a better helmet.

I just bought a new, second CL-16 for $81. They are very good helmets, and they fit me well. The CL-17 that just came out has gotten excellent reviews. Just because the HJC is inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean it's a poor helmet.

I'm not convinced that spending 5 times the price necessarily gets me a better helmet.

Last edited:
Street Helmet - HJC RPHA 10. Occasionally I will wear my Bilt Explorer Adventure helmet (dual-sport style).

So I'm sure everyone would agree the NCX's are 90% road bikes. So why even bother with a dual sport helmet? I bet that most here that wear the dual sport don't wear goggles under the shield and the beak is placed in such a manner that it really won't offer much in sun shading. The only feature of a DS that makes sense is the better peripheral vision than a street helmet. Personally I like the styling of the dual sports even though most of it's features are pointless and most do buy products on "I like the looks of that" rather than "that's very functional".

I wear a Fulmer flip around town and Shoei GT-Air on longer rides and off-road. The Shoei is definitely quieter than the Fulmer. I'd like to get a bill helmet for off-road. Something like OCR's Nolan but it wasn't out when I bought the Shoei. Seeing more innovative multipurpose helmets coming out over the past year.

Get what you like. I have a coworker on a Ninja with a billed helmet. He rides east in the morning and west in the even. Uses the bill to block the sun.
I see Harleys with no helmet, 1/2 helmet, 3/4 helmet, flip, and full helmets. Saw a dude on a cruiser commuting to work in full ATGATT, not chaps, the other day.

As for the classification of the bike I tend to follow how the manufacturers have classified. Dual Sports tend to be derived from dirt bikes that can go on the road. Adventure bikes are derived from street bikes that can go off-road.

GMAX GM 54 S
- modular flip up (don't have to take it off to fill up, get a drink, put on eye glasses)
- fits in the frunk
- internal sun visor (adjustable so instruments/gps are not darkened while bright road ahead is)
- available double hulled visor so it won't fog
- available transmitter that connects to brake light wiring (light on helmet back goes on when you hit the brakes)
- $125
Here's a REVIEW.
GMax-GM54S.jpg

Last edited:
Went with a Fly Racing Trekker DS lid in flat charcoal grey. $125 Why? Because it fit properly. The bill protects the visor when it gets stuffed in a corner at work.

Most of the helmets on display- didn't matter what style or mfg because of the gawdaful art deco graphics on them.

HJC IS-Max
27698_6_detail.jpg

It is modular and the 3XL that I need for my giant melon fits in the frunk.

One day, I will probably spring for something nicer, but this does the job for now.

So I'm sure everyone would agree the NCX's are 90% road bikes. So why even bother with a dual sport helmet? I bet that most here that wear the dual sport don't wear goggles under the shield and the beak is placed in such a manner that it really won't offer much in sun shading. The only feature of a DS that makes sense is the better peripheral vision than a street helmet. Personally I like the styling of the dual sports even though most of it's features are pointless and most do buy products on "I like the looks of that" rather than "that's very functional".

My DS helmet has a retractable sun shade built into it -- sort of like a fighter pilot's flight helmet I suppose. I find that the sun shade and bill works well for me. Goggles wouldn't work on this helmet as the sun shield and visor would not close over them. Sunglasses could be worn though as they clear the sun shield. The bill is not a wind issue for me since I have the tall Honda windshield and a Wunderlich deflector.

Went with a Fly Racing Trekker DS lid in flat charcoal grey. $125 Why? Because it fit properly. The bill protects the visor when it gets stuffed in a corner at work.

I was considering this one as well. Reviews are good and the ability to wear goggles.

No offense to anyone who wears a modular but it's just a little better than an open face and I like to keep my face pretty. There is a reason most modular helmets are only DOT approved.

Back