• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check those windscreen cowl nuts!

silverhound

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to move the Puig windscreen on my wife's bike to the higher position today and when I did I noticed that one of the cowl/well nuts had not originally been installed properly. It basically had not been pushed through the plastic adapter and hole on the mounting point and therefore when I tightened the screw it wasn't holding the windshield on at all. It was mushrooming in front of the metal rather than behind it.

I should have noticed when I first put the Puig screen on but I didn't (my bad). Anyhow it has now been "squished" so that's it's unusable. Ordered up four new ones just to be sure. Part #90111-KW3-003.

Guess the three that were holding were enough but better safe than sorry. A wind screen coming loose while in flight could be catastrophic. Check your screens. If installed properly the cowl nut should not slip out of the hole easily when pulled after the screw is removed.

We should be getting dales nut plates.make sure you check them often,mine get lose after awhile with the puig,just a thought.

I made myself a couple of 3/4" square nuts out of 1/4" aluminum stock, drilled and tapped for nice SS bolts. Super secure. Since all the pulling force is on the bottom 2 bolts only, I just made those 2.
The 2 top ones are being pushed in, not out.

I decided to move the Puig windscreen on my wife's bike to the higher position today and when I did I noticed that one of the cowl/well nuts had not originally been installed properly. It basically had not been pushed through the plastic adapter and hole on the mounting point and therefore when I tightened the screw it wasn't holding the windshield on at all. It was mushrooming in front of the metal rather than behind it.

I should have noticed when I first put the Puig screen on but I didn't (my bad). Anyhow it has now been "squished" so that's it's unusable. Ordered up four new ones just to be sure. Part #90111-KW3-003.

Guess the three that were holding were enough but better safe than sorry. A wind screen coming loose while in flight could be catastrophic. Check your screens. If installed properly the cowl nut should not slip out of the hole easily when pulled after the screw is removed.

Heck, I had my Honda tall screen mounted totally wrong. Fortunately, OCR noticed it and redid the mounting for me at the HU meet. He probably saved me from a really bad day down the road. Nothing beats experience!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My wind screen came off at 55MPH and hit me in the face using the stock well nuts. I have since changed to Dale's well nuts and haven't had a problem since. That being said, it's always a good idea to check tightness of all fasteners periodically.

Back