• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

red bar on LCD display

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
so just wondering if this is normal.

with my LCD dash display off, in the spot where the gas gauge bars would be there is a persistant red / brownish bar.

here is a pic

VGdmYpll.jpg

Yes, it is normal. This is Honda's cost efficient way of creating what appears to be a flashing red bar on an otherwise monochrome display, to serve as a low fuel warning.

This question comes up frequently, and if we ever build a FAQ, this would go in it.

Perfectly normal, when you switch off the ignition the display fades but the red bar that flashes on low fuel takes longer to fade than the rest of the display

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Perfectly normal, when you switch off the ignition the display fades but the red bar that flashes on low fuel takes longer to fade than the rest of the display

Your red bar fades away? Mine is permanently painted on the reflective backing for the monochrome LCD panel.

As normal as a Red Maple Leaf on the Canadian Flag! That is your low fuel reminder - it flashes when you hit the last bar - pretty lame.

The red bar doesn't flash. It's always in the background. The red bar is intermittently blocked by the black LCD bar layered above it to simulate a red/black flash.

Last edited:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yes, considerably longer given that it's painted on solid! Years I would guess. The red doesn't flash. The black bar under it does. When the black bar goes off, you see the red ONLY. When the black bar under red goes ON, you see black (or a kind of marron, really).

The red bar doesn't flash. It's always in the background. The red bar is intermittently blocked by the black LCD bar layered above it to simulate a red/black flash.

Yes, that is correct, think it is more like in the foregound. That "Phantom Line" is part of the LCD Glass. The "Black Segment" (which is behind it) hides it when the level is about the "Reverse Sensor". The Black Segment "Flashes" giving the "Cheap Illusion" of it being "Animated".

All this Gratuitous Capitalization of words in the "Middle of Sentences" makes me feel like I'm reading Winnie-the-Pooh.

Yes, that is correct, think it is more like in the foregound. That "Phantom Line" is part of the LCD Glass. The "Black Segment" (which is behind it) hides it when the level is about the "Reverse Sensor". The Black Segment "Flashes" giving the "Cheap Illusion" of it being "Animated".

My low fuel indicator is flashing today. I can't speak for your display, but as I said in my earlier post, the red bar on mine is definitely behind the plane of the liquid crystal layer, based on parallax observation from different angles. I don't know if you've ever disassembled an LCD, but there is a silver/grey reflective sheet or mirror that sits behind the clear LCD glass and crystal layers. Having the red bar on the background sheet or back glass layer makes the most sense. If it were in the foreground, red light would still reflect back at the observer even when the liquid crystal layer goes opaque. With the bar in the background, the LCD section pulsing opaque (black) obliterates the red almost entirely. The black LCD section on my display is also slightly larger than the red bar, ensuring that the edges of the red bar are not visible behind the black section when viewed at an off center angle.

image.jpg

If your display's "Red Bar" is on "Top" or in the "Foreground", well, then I guess there are "Different Versions" of the "Combination Meter."

Last edited:
Back