• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Joined the Club -- Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 Complete!

treybrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, with the recent posts by StratTuner and dduelin, I was inspired to try a Saddle Sore 1000. Doing a long, long distance day like that hasn't ever really appealed to me before. My typical long day is about a 550 mile loop of back roads around here that takes me 10-12 hours taking my time, stopping to eat, etc.

So, I spent a little time last week researching routes, watching weather, and reading up on tips from the pros and decided to give it a shot yesterday.

13672822505_3979c83de0_c.jpg

I woke up and hit the road a little after 0400 after a cup of coffee and final tire pressure check.

Initial gas stop around the corner from the house:

13671052664_52f44e905b_c.jpg

13670726723_8cecfe4558_c.jpg

It was surprisingly cold and overcast yesterday ('cold' is relative, this is Texas, so I mean upper 50's and windy, sorry northerners :p), but not too bad.

McCamey, TX:

13671058934_42612cbd12_c.jpg

I booked it across West Texas on IH-10, all the way to Van Horn, TX and made really good time with the 80 mph speed limit. In Van Horn, I split off South to take old US-90 through some of the Big Bend area, and along the Rio Grande.

Marfa, TX Prada art installation:

13656558234_481dfe6b72_c.jpg

Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX:

13656224533_03c119e401_c.jpg

About here the winds really started to pick up, right in my face (of course). I was comfortable enough behind my Givi screen, but at some points I was WOT just to maintain 75-80mph, which killed my gas mileage. I ended up making an extra stop that was unplanned because I wasn't sure I could make the 175mi from Marathon to Del Rio.

I averaged almost exactly 50 MPG for the day, with a high of 58.7 and a low of 42.5 (new all time low) -- by contrast I average 65-70 commuting to work. High speeds and wind are a MPG killer!

Ended up making it back home by 8pm, which was an hour earlier than expected.

13670693515_ceee323450_c.jpg

By the numbers:

13656220783_6e40839513_c.jpg

(I don't think that top speed is accurate, I don't remember ever going over 90 really... the GPS messes up sometimes, I've seen as high as 250 mph before).

Wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected, which I think is a real testament to the NC. Even WOT fighting the wind, it's cool, calm and collected -- always very smooth. The Givi screen (cut down about 1-2") keeps the wind off my body, but keeps my helmet in clean, smooth air. I have highway pegs mounted to my crash bars, which were used quite a bit. Seat Concepts seat was a non-issue, my butt was pretty happy the whole day.

The first 7-800 miles clicked off pretty fast, but the by the last 200 miles I could tell I was ready to get off for the day. So, it was a good way to kill the day while the wife worked. Good to know if I need to put in big miles, the NC is willing and ready, I just need to plan accordingly.

trey

Last edited:
Congrats that is the way to do it. Ya I don't think you will ever see 116 for real. I still run a 2610 along with a newer one nowadays.

Congratulations Trey!

I'm like you...I'd rather spend a day riding good back roads over a day of pounding out straight line miles but an IBA ride in the bag is a good feeling. Good job.

I respect you guys doing it for the challenge and bragging rights, but back roads makes it too long a day for this guy and 1000 miles down the interstate is boring.

I have my NC for enjoyment. I've done over 500 miles in a day never seeing a speed limit sign above 55mph (not that I wouldn't fudge a bit). I am then worn out and to me that is a good day.

Congrats and welcome to the asylum (ya gotta be at least a little crazy to ride that far in 1 day)!

I've seen high top speeds like that also. I think that what happens is that the GPS loses signal for a bit and then regains it and then assumes you went that whole distance in a shorter period of time than what you actually took. Just make sure a cop doesn't see that display if you get pulled over! ;)

I respect you guys doing it for the challenge and bragging rights, but back roads makes it too long a day for this guy and 1000 miles down the interstate is boring.

I have my NC for enjoyment. I've done over 500 miles in a day never seeing a speed limit sign above 55mph (not that I wouldn't fudge a bit). I am then worn out and to me that is a good day.

Yeah, like I said, this has been something I've always dismissed as silly. One of the nice things about Texas is the speed limits are pretty generous since there's so much ground to cover. Well over half of my ride was on two lane roads, only 400 miles was on interstate. But, the majority of those two lane roads were 75mph posted limits. There's a beauty to West TX you either 'get' or don't. I find it peaceful cruising through the desert with the Guadalupe Mountains as the backdrop, but I totally understand why some (most) would find it completely dull.

Congrats and welcome to the asylum (ya gotta be at least a little crazy to ride that far in 1 day)!

I've seen high top speeds like that also. I think that what happens is that the GPS loses signal for a bit and then regains it and then assumes you went that whole distance in a shorter period of time than what you actually took. Just make sure a cop doesn't see that display if you get pulled over! ;)

Ha, I've thought the same thing. Just my luck the officer would ask to see and I'd be made out as a hooligan :cool:

trey

I don't think it is silly, nothing but respect for accomplishment. I have thought about doing it. It is 800 miles from here to a 2 lane road with more than 55mph speed limit. For me to do it would be riding down super slab.

That's pretty cool. I think I'd have be in a weird place (mind wise) to go that far in less than 24.

Good job!

Back