• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wallowa Valley, Oregon

Troyba

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had planned to take a multiday trip this week, the first of what hopefully will be many that I’ll take on the NC, but the weather doesn’t look like it’s planning on cooperating. So instead of loading up the bike with all my camping gear I loaded a few things and headed out for a long day ride. I’ve wanted to take a ride up into the mountains for a while now and after a few days of 60 deg weather I figured the roads would be pretty decent. I planned out a route that would take me over to the Wallowa Valley. The Wallowa Valley is located in the northeast corner of the state of Oregon with the Wallowa Mountains rising up thousands of feet on the south side of the valley.

RideRoute.jpg

I rode over cabbage hill on I-84 to LaGrande then from there I headed north on state routes/highways around the west then north side of the mountains to the valley. The high peaks still have a deep snowpack, but the valleys are open and accessible.

MinamGrade.jpg
Minam Grade

WallowaRiverCanyon.jpg
Taking a break along the Wallowa River

My turn around point was a small town called Joseph which is located next to a beautiful Wallowa Lake. In the summer the place is quite busy with people heading into the wilderness for some backpacking or people out for a little car camping/vacationing.

WallowaLake.jpg
Wallowa Lake

I stopped by the lake for a break then headed over to the burial site for the Nez Perce Old Chief Joseph. Old Chief Joseph Gravesite - Nez Perce National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
ChiefJoseph_GraveSite.jpg
Old Chief Joseph Burial Site

After a quick fill up in Enterprise I started heading back. On my return trip I took Ore Route 204 instead of I84 which goes over a moderately high pass in the Blue Mountains. The road side snow depth at the pass was still around 4 feet.
AndiesPrarie.jpg
Andies Prairie SnoPark on Ore Route 204

I rode over two mountain passes in beautiful sunny warm weather averaging 60 mpg, got to love the NC700x!

For those interested in riding in the area here’s an amazing road: Oregon Route 3/Washington State Route 129. The road heads north from the town of Enterprise and ends in the small town of Asotin (80 miles) just outside of Lewiston/Clarkston. Just about in the center section of the road there’s a section called the Rattlesnake Grade which is full of sweepers and twisties.

Here's a couple pictures of the Rattlesnake Grade I took on a trip a couple years ago.

RattlesnakeGrade.jpg

RattlesnakeGrade2.jpg

I've always been intrigued by the Indians and Eskimos. Probably because I grew up in Washington State. Just read the story on Chief Joseph. Messed up situation but not surprising.

I've always been intrigued by the Indians and Eskimos. Probably because I grew up in Washington State. Just read the story on Chief Joseph. Messed up situation but not surprising.
I read his biography in high school. I had an appaloosa horse named Joe after him. The Nez Perce indians originally bred the appaloosa horses.

It was a sad story

Chief Joseph said:
I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the Sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.

Thanks for the pictures. I lived in Walla Walla for a couple of years in the mid 70's. Took day trips up to Wallowa Lake. Remember driving through Joseph at that time and thought if they covered the main street with dirt you would think you were back in an 1880's town. I'm hoping to get a trip in to north central Oregon this summer. It will be my first ever road trip on my NC.

Thanks for the pictures. I lived in Walla Walla for a couple of years in the mid 70's. Took day trips up to Wallowa Lake. Remember driving through Joseph at that time and thought if they covered the main street with dirt you would think you were back in an 1880's town. I'm hoping to get a trip in to north central Oregon this summer. It will be my first ever road trip on my NC.

I just moved to Pendleton from Walla Walla. Walla Walla has probably changed a bit since you lived there, vineyards/wineries dominate the landscape now. Joseph continues to struggle along, it reminds me of a small Bend and tries to capitalize on tourists throughout the summer months. I love the area and try to head in that direction a few times a year either to go hiking in the wilderness or to hang out in Joseph. You'll enjoy the ride over on the NC!

it reminds me of a small Bend and tries to capitalize on tourists throughout the summer months.

I was part of a military funeral ceremony in Bend several years back. When you made the comment "small Bend" its gotta be pretty small because I don't remember Bend being very big. Saw a lot of wide open plains and tumble weeds. ;)

its gotta be pretty small because I don't remember Bend being very big

My idea of what's big and small in regards to towns might be a little skewed, I think I've lived in eastern Wash/Ore too long.

Saw a lot of wide open plains and tumble weeds.

Sounds like the east side of the state, where on the roads you not only have to dodge deer you have to dodge tumble weeds as they fly by!

Out of the blue there have been a lot of Oregon Tourism ads on TV lately, themed along the lines of: "How did they miss all these cool spots in Oregon, on the Wonders of the World list?"

I have to agree, there sure are a lot of awesome looking places I would love to visit in Oregon!

My idea of what's big and small in regards to towns might be a little skewed, I think I've lived in eastern Wash/Ore too long.

Sounds like the east side of the state, where on the roads you not only have to dodge deer you have to dodge tumble weeds as they fly by!

When I was in the army we used to train in the Yakima Training Center (Washington St). I actually enjoyed it. It was a good time driving HMMWV's in that terrian. I can still remember the smell of those tumble bushes.

I bought a Subaru from a guy in Joseph several years ago. Took the route you took, just in reverse. The Wallowa Valley is beautiful, there's no doubt.

For those not from there, the pronunciation is wa-LAU-uh. Or, just listen to it at Merriam-Webster's site. :)

Back