• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First ride - report

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
well, Friday March 21 was not perfect weather-wise. Only 8c(46f) but sunny. Took the NC out on its first ride.
Way back when i first read about the NC one of the main reasons i had for not getting it was the low redline.
But i now see that it is not an issue at all. The bike is very fast off the line and as fast as the Ninja 650.
First gear is tall enough that i dont feel the need to shift early. On the CBR250 it was so short i had to shift to 2nd
half way into a left turn at an intersection.

The Metzeler Z8 tires are nice. Was taking it easy due to the cool weather and new tires but they felt grippy and secure.
I did take a green scratchy pad to the tires b4 heading out tho, the rear had some kind of waxy substance on it.

This bike is a torque monster :) love the way it sounds. No issue with vibrations. The bike is so nice and balanced,
loved being able to come up to a stop and being able to hover for a sec before having to put feet down.

Was different shifting to first compared to the Kowie 650's. On those its a loud Kahchunk and learch forward while on
the NC its just a gentle clik

Was concerned about wind protection on the bike as the stock windscreen did not seem like it does much. On a 80kph road
i got it up to 90kph and the wind was manageable. Will see how it is when it gets warmer and i can get out on the hwy
and see how it is at cruise speed of 100kph to 130kph.

today the weather gods are frowning on me. Cold and rainy. so no NC today. But Sunday is looking better with it expected
to be sunny but still cool (10c-50f) so hoping to be able to add on to the 46ish km i put on yesterday.

loving the NC. so glad i made the switch.

Last edited:
Took mine out for the first time on March 11 here in Southwestern Ontario. Was about 5-6 Celsius and pretty good weather overall. First time out since early November. The very next day the temp dropped to -17 Celsius after dropping over a foot of snow making roads and highways look like a war zone with trucks jack-knifed everywhere and cars littering the highway ditches. Roads were like a frozen washboard for the next day or two.

What a difference a day makes!

Glad your enjoying your new ride. Can't wait to get out again.

well a bit of a add on to the ride report. Today was a decent but cool day, sunny and around 12c. Went on a nice long ride out into the countryside.
Took the main hwy out and the twisty scenic route back. As i was out bound off to my left (north) i see clouds up against the mountains and it looks like rain
(and that is where my scenic return ride would pass) Was great all the way out. love this bike so much.

on the way back i was passing thru some nice twisty stuff and as i was going thru i am thinking..getting better but still seems kind of slow...until i glance at the speedo
holy crap i am going 95kph (this on a 40kph yellow sign area of roadway) guess i am not so slow after all :)

And of course as i pass that stupid micro cell rain storm ...it is, well raining. Not too bad was maybe 10min. Dry and sunny once past it. When i got back to town i stopped to pick up a few things
and when i got off the bike. WTF! what is all this crap all over the bike. The rear of bike is covered in muddy water spots, even the rear seat. So i guess i am going to be looking in to getting a rear
hugger fender.

Bike now has around 1100km. Time for 1st service except i had it done at 850km when i had the engine guard installed. The only bad thing about riding on a Friday around here is i have to get off the roads by 4pm
as rush hour is just FUBAR and i hate riding in it.

congratulations on some fun first rides. I hear you about the windscreen.... it was the first thing I replaced.

I too am a new NC750-S rider. I rode 600 km yesterday. After a few hours on the highway I am certain to replace the micro windscreen with a taller one (7" higher).

Agree on comments about the transmission. Dropping into 1st gear from neutral is silky smooth. My last two Yamaha's would give out a heavy 'Kathunk'!

I don't know your height or the dynamics of the S model. But on the X I found the Puig with Puig visor is perfect for my 6'2" frame. Nice and quiet. I can hear the engine just a humming- it's a beautiful thing!

I guess this site is adding all the Viglinks?

Been on some long rides now that it is summer around here. Went on a long 250km(one way) ride out thru the mountains on Monday 07 July.
The NC flew up the 11degree 40km long incline up to the peak of ~4000ft above sea level. Speed limit on that hwy is 120kph, i averaged 145kph.

On Tuesday i was on my way on a shorter ride to Whistler BC .. ~ 120km from Vancouver. But had an "event" along the way and ended up spending my
afternoon in VGH (Vancouver General Hospital)

I had just gassed up and was on my way to hwy. Stopped at a red light...about 8 car lengths back. 6 lane road - 3 lanes each way with 2 travel lanes per direction and one parking.
Was in middle (right) lane, when light changed green..before moving off i waited to allow a parked car to merge in. Person behind me (probably texting) decided i was moving and plowed into me.
Was a slow speed hit. Did not drop bike. She admitted fault. Fender / plate / plate holder bent. pulled straight and bike was rideable. Exchanged info / got witness info - went to VGH to get checked out
and get report. Bit of whiplash - neck pain and pain btwn shoulder blades. Still sore today.

After i got out of hospital i reported to insurance. All will be covered by her insurance. Will be going to Honda dealer first thing today to get estimate for repairs and get bike looked at to make sure frame
did not take a hit. Bike rides ok so i hope not. Best bike i have ever had and it takes a hit. :(

on the bright side. Got bike March 15 2014 and already have around 5500km on it. (and i only ride weekends / good weather) This week on vacation. Last year i on May 17 i got a Ninja 650..and when i traded in
on Oct 18 2014 i had 6500km on it. At this rate i could be close to 10k on odo by end of season.

Good thing everyone (you and the bike) is OK !!! OTHER drivers can be such a pain ! I think you got away lucky !!

I too came frome a Kaway (a KLR650) which I bought last Dec (2012) and rode last year (2013) to the Island and Alaska !! I too sold it this spring with 7500 kms on it. Good bike ...just not me !!

Got my NC700x this spring !! I just got first service done last week. (1700 kms) and love riding it !! Got holidays end of the month. Going to see where the road takes me !! :cool:

was at the Honda dealer this morning. Best case is they just replace the whole tail assembly (rear lights / fender / plate holder) and worse case is the frame is twisted which means bike a write off.
Hope not. do not think i get to keep my add ons? (centre stand. windscreen. engine guard) - I am not concerned about losing out tho as insurance will buy me new bike if it comes to that. But the extras
cost almost $1k - hopefully i could just swap them over. Windscreen easy tho. i would just put the stock back on bike.
After the hit the pointy bit of the rear fender was on the tire and pointing to the front of the bike. Same for the license plate and holder. (pushed horizontal and forward) None of the lights were broken or damaged.

but on the positive. bike is just a thing and can be replaced. I wasnt severely injured. so all is good. Managed to make my Whistler trip today. great day.

I have a statement/question. In March I was in a bad wreck with my jeep. It was very questionable as to if it would be totaled or repaired. Initially we though it was a complete total. My jeep is highly modified. Near 30K of modifications. My insurance company wanted a detailed price list of all the mods and I was going to be compensated. I would not have gotten full price for the add-ons but I was going to get something. Will your insurance company not do the same?

Back