• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rear seat gas fillup

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got to thinking about this. It was one complaint i have read about the NC series. For touring having the rear
loaded up. Having to unpack everything to gas up. Personally i do not see it any different than having to take the
tank bag off all the time on other bikes.

But since the tank is under the riders seat anyway. Why not move the fill up spot to under the front seat?
No more having to remove bags from over the passenger seat to gas up.

If touring with rear seat loaded buy HondaBikePros rear seat rack which allows filling without removing load. Short of that use quick connect straps like Rox and no big deal to unload.

Sure a side fill would be nice, but we don't have one and it is not a deal killer.

I avoided the fuel cap placement with panniers and top case. You may look at different luggage options to avoid tying your stuff to the back seat, or try ROK Straps.
Amazon.com: rok straps
One click and its off. No big deal then and the gas cap is locked up.

due to how the tank lays, you fill up at the top of the tank, gravity does the rest.

BUT! Why not do it like a few of the BMW's? Off to one side? that would solve everything!

I've read that Honda wanted to keep the tank inside of the frame and also they wanted a tank made of metal as they think a metal tank is more crash-worthy. The BMW tanks are plastic.

I think the idea of placing the filler cap under the rider's seat is a much better plan. Apparently, Japanese engineers that work for Honda are not cross country riders. Some of the things Honda does to motorcycles makes me wonder if anyone that works at Honda even rides a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure those that work in marketing/sales have no earthly idea what riders want in some countries, i.e. no NC in Australia, no Crosstourer in America, etc.. To be honest, I'm not sure why Honda sells anything other than Goldwings, cruisers and ATVs in America. That seems to be all that they really care about.

I will now step off of the soap box.
Mike

Instead of chasing 50% of the US market and selling hundreds of thousands of motorcycles a year perhaps the marketing folks at Honda should take a few pointers from the European manufacturers and shoot for selling a few thousand and 1.5% of the US market.

Honda may not make or import motorcycles of interest to every one of us but it doesn't mean they don't know how to grow markets then turn a profit which at the end of the day is the reason they exist. For sure they are not perfect and some decisions are head scratchers.

It would be a dream come true, to just once, sit down at a table with the designers, marketing dudes, and the "Approved Stamp" peeps, and have an awesome interpreter if needed, with a bunch of WTF were you thinking questions, and actually get truthful, honest replies.

It sure is a great puzzle sometimes how some stuff can be oh-so perfect, and you know they "get it", yet other, super simple things, end up being like they were haphazardly designed by beings from another galaxy, with no clue as to how humans work, lol.

If touring with rear seat loaded buy HondaBikePros rear seat rack which allows filling without removing load. Short of that use quick connect straps like Rox and no big deal to unload.

Sure a side fill would be nice, but we don't have one and it is not a deal killer.
+1 I use a Fastbag when touring and my mates (buddies) think I'm mad. But it takes less than 30 seconds to release the Rokstraps and park the bag next to the bike, and 30 seconds to put it back on. One whole minute in a days riding is worthwhile to avoid the drag of panniers or top box
Mike

Back