• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long time, no see! Chain question

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy guys,
Been along time since I have been on the forum... been riding the bike so it is all good. I was greasing the chain today and noticed one tight link! It still is moveable and I gave it a little extra love.

Question time... I have 6500 miles, is it safe to keep riding on this chain with one tight spot. I would like to make it to my 8000 mile checkup before replacing.

I am wondering if I over cleaned the chain and hence the tight spot. I used O chain approved cleaners, but I think when you strip all the grease it has to rebuild through applications. I am wondering if I should keep greasing every 500 with a deep clean ever 2-3 thousand miles???

I know this is a matter of opinion, but those who have high mileage chains could help. Would a DID X ring chain help with this problem in the future? As always, your help is appreciated.

D

I had several tight links on my OEM chain and started noticing them at about 8k miles. I made it to 11k miles and had the time to change it. My sprockets looked really good to me so I didn't change those. I did add a DID VX2 chain, so I really hope I can get a lot more miles on it. I am pretty good about using chain wax every 300 to 500 miles but not so good about cleaning until I have 3k+ on the chain. I am definitely no expert on this subject, but giving you something to compare against.

If the chain is kept well lubed it should be ok beyond the 8000 mile service point. You will know when it needs to be changed as you will also find that you are adjusting it more often. One point I will make, and that is to change the sprockets with the chain, as even slightly worn sprockets will shorten the potential life of a new chain.

I’ve had kinks since before 8K and I’m now at 10.6k with the chain life marker a little over half way. I think it may be quieter if you change it but from what I’ve read it isn’t absolutely necessary to change it because of kinks. I may change mine early since I’ll be going on a trip in May.

7.jpg

I got 12000 miles on the DID O ring that came with my NC.

Now have 16000 on the DID X ring and plan of changing it at 18000 miles.

Still using sprockets that came with bike, but plan to change the sprockets with chain at 30,000 miles.

SmileyFunnyFace.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
i would recommend replacing the chain if you plan on any long distance trips any time soon. Otherwise I would just monitor it closely until it starts causing problems. I recently replaced my OEM chain with a DID x-ring at 7500 miles because I plan on a few trips this year starting next month to Big Bend NP. I was not having any problems with the original chain, I just wanted to avoid any issues while on the road this summer.

All I ever do for chain care on my bikes is maintain proper play and keep the chain clean (no rust or grit) with periodic applications of WD40. I know that my particular chain care method can be as controversial as which oil and which tires are the best.

I made it to 16K on the first chain before there were many tight links. I'm coming up on 32K, and I noticed just one tight link on the gold (color) DID VX2 chain this morning.
From this I extrapolate a sprocket/chain replacement about every 16K.
I'm sure that's different for other riders in other climates.

Some of us would not replace the sprockets with every chain replacement.

One tight link also may not be a good indicator of the need to replace the chain.........one might try to "force" a lube into the joint, free it up and continue to use the chain. ??????

Some of us would not replace the sprockets with every chain replacement.

One tight link also may not be a good indicator of the need to replace the chain.........one might try to "force" a lube into the joint, free it up and continue to use the chain. ??????
Sounds good to me! I'll give a go... see if I can find the tight link and oil it intently... submerging it in oil might be good if I can think of a way to do that.
I don't really know when to replace a chain... last time I just went with the many tight links indication...
I suppose you really should get a new chain when you can't adjust it to the proper tension anymore, but that makes me wonder if it's even possible to get to that point with the adjustment mechanism we have? hmm...

Back