• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Steam from radiator

Type RSA

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Hope you are all doing well.

We have been having extreme rain here in SA for the past 2 weeks and I have been braving the elements and riding in the rain. I have noticed a lot of steam coming from the radiator area when I've stopped at traffic lights etc. Think this is probably normal, just wanted to confirm that it is only the rain water running over the hot radiator. I cannot see any leaks and the fluid running down the radiator is clear. So guessing just rain water.

Thanks

Unless you have extended the fender on your bike, road water and dirt will accumulate on the rad during wet riding. When you come to a halt that will tend to dry and will result in steam. I suggest you get a Fenda Extenda and this will largely cure the problem. Any hot parts of the engine that have cold water on them during riding will also steam momentarily when you come to a halt.

I'm not saying it isn't coming from the radiator but don't forget you have a portion of your exhaust pipe directly below the radiator. Within a foot I'd say. It is in direct line of your tire and is definitely getting wet. The water from the tire combined with extreme heat and you'll have steam. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Affirmative! I also had to add the fender extender to eliminate the steam issue. I really didn't notice it until I changed the rubber but it sure was a lot of steam. It also helps with crud build up and small rocks.

Awesome thanks guys. Thought as much. Yep exhaust header right underneath the rad, but I saw the steam coming off the radiator. So just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the replies.

Awesome thanks guys. Thought as much. Yep exhaust header right underneath the rad, but I saw the steam coming off the radiator. So just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the replies.

6.jpgEvaporation is a type of vaporization of a liquid that occurs from the surface of a liquid into a gaseous phase that is not saturated with the evaporating substance. The other type of vaporization is boiling, which is characterized by bubbles of saturated vapor forming in the liquid phase.

If you are not losing anti-freeze at the container, no smell of anti-freeze, and no leaks it is not broke.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

SmileyMegahorn.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I did think of the Exhaust header also but it gets so hot that water doesn't even get a chance to build up on it and is instantly vapourised, so any related vapour is well gone by the time the bike comes to a halt. However the Rad runs much cooler.

I see OCR must have gotten a good deal on Giant Smilies :D Brightens up the forum !

I did think of the Exhaust header also but it gets so hot that water doesn't even get a chance to build up on it and is instantly vapourised, so any related vapour is well gone by the time the bike comes to a halt. However the Rad runs much cooler.

Possibly the things in close proximity to the header pipe which are heated by it. Steam rolls up from that area of my bike all the time. I don't really give it a thought other than it smells funny. OCR said it best. If I don't smell anti-freeze or see a leak I'm not worried. I've never really tried to investigate exactly where it was coming from but it is raining today so maybe I'll pull over and try to spot the exact location. It probably is the radiator.

Based on where I live (hint: it rains a lot here) more often than anything, I find it strange to not constantly have steam billowing up from my bike's hot parts, lol.

I always get a bit of a kick when people post up: "Ack! my bike is steaming! threads, hee hee ;)

I have to admit that I was caught off guard on the steam effect of this bike. The first thing I checked was for leaks. With years of riding through hard rains, I can't remember any of my bikes that billowed steam like this one. However, each bike has it's own unique character and as long as all is righteous, it's no big deal. I have a nice Fender Extender that helps keep some of the gunk off the cowling now.

My CBR smokes a little at a stop but that's because the exhaust manifold leaks. I replaced the doughnut gaskets and they still leak but not enough for me to care.

Back