• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Little issues with a brand new 2014 NC700X DCT ABS

AdrianGrey

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my bike has a service plan, and extended warranty, meaning that these things should be resolved by returning the bike to the dealership, which will be done on Friday, when I take the bike in for it's break in service, but I figured I would share them with the forum nonetheless, not so much for input, but just for general knowledge.

One of my mirrors came loose, which is obviously no big deal, as it just needed to be tightened down again, better than it was before.

The left side bar-end weight has a half inch gap between the grip and the bar-end weight, and it can be rotated by hand. As far as I can tell rotating it neither loosens it further, nor does it tighten it, or remove the gap between the grip and the weight.

And last, and most worryingly, my trip meters, avg. mpg, and fuel consumption (gallons used, not the gas gauge) gauges reset at random when the bike is turned on. This causes me to be unable to track my fuel consumption by the tank, since it may choose to reset halfway through a tank, which it has done, at least once, on every tank of gas my bike has had in it.

On a personal level there doesn't seem a lot to worry about there. The mirror is really minor and more than likely down to the person who did the PDI on your bike. For your bar end weight just tighten up the screw and also use a thread lock compound to stop the screw coming loose.
Re your average consumption - your manual should tell you whether it resets or not everytime you switch on your bike. Your dealer should be able to advise.
There are web sites you can use to monitor your fuel consumption - such as fuelly or Sprit Monitor.

Just sitting here in the house and going off memory I believe my left side bar end moves too. Not much but I can rotate it a hair back and forth. I believe I took a screwdriver to it when I first got the bike and it was tight. I also think I recall other people having the same thing so I think it may be common and nothing to worry about. Regardless I'd ask the question.

The mirror is just the knucklehead who put you bike together. If it makes you feel any better my entire top box almost fell off while I was doing 70mph on the interstate. It held my work laptop and a few personal items. I would not have been happy if it had came off. The excuse was they had taken the top box on and off several times for potential buyers. unfortunately that kind of stuff happens.

As for your trip meter resetting I don't feel it should do that unless you tell it to. Sound like a software glitch, maybe? I'd definitely have that checked out.

I'm glad someone else has got the random reset problem - I think we may need a separate thread to keep an eye on this. Obviously it's not serious but if you are trying to track your fuel consumption, it is very annying.
Mike
PS mine has reset the A trip meter (and therefore the fuel consumption stuff) twice in 1100miles

My bar end weight is the same way.have them check out the trip,probley just a glich and easy fix.

Apparently a chap on the UK Forum has had his trip reset twice. So there may be a problem with the dash on 2014 models.
That's me Wozz - I have posted a couple of posts higher up this thread too. If you have been following my thread about suddenly skyrocketing fuel consumption, I have now come to the conclusion that in truth the bike covered more miles than I thought it had but the tripmeter had reset after about 40 miles. I should remove that fuel-up from Fuelly.
Mike

You've always mentioned having higher fuel consumption than everyone else even on your 700. I don't know what to make of it.
Me neither because I used to get 57mpg from my Versys which was quite good as far as other Versys forum members were reporting. and I get 44-46mpg from my Rocket 3 which again I understand is pretty good. So I don't think it's my style of riding that's a problem.
(I have been wondering lately whether the Honda OEM rear rack is doing something to the airflow - I read somewhere that it's how the bike sheds it's vortices that determines the drag rather than the more intuitive frontal shape and I have had the rack fitted to both the 700 and the 750).
Mike

The trip odometer (and as a result the avg. mpg and fuel consumption) resetting is my only real worry, as it is most likely a software issue, and I don't see them being able to fix it quickly. So far mine has reset at least 4 times that I have noticed, over a period of just over 600 miles. If I went by what my trip odometer said, without noticing that it reset part way through a tank of gas, my MPG for my last tank of gas was a pathetic 39 MPG. I know this is not true because I saw the trip meter reset at random, and know I did far more than 110 miles on that tank of gas though.

Once my bike goes in this friday, I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
You could just make a note of what your odometer is reading when you refuel..
It looks like I'll have the same problem soon when I collect my bike on the 1st of March.

Last edited:
Let's hope not Wozza - might be just a few rogue ones with maybe loose connections on the plug to the instruments.
Mike

I wonder if the "B" button is stuck, or partially stuck, depressed under the rubber boot. My wife's car OEM homelink button did this and would open our garage door randomly!

The bar end weights are a multi piece design, and not an "expansion plug" style, like most/all aftermarket kinds, or quite older OEM ones. (My 2007 CBR has identical style NCX weights that spin like crazy, lol).

On each side of the bars, starting from the end:

Screw(23) > Outer Weight(10) > Spring Clip(13) (inside handlebar) > Inner Weight Rod(9) with two rubber "O-Rings" (11, 12) that isolate it from the handlebar.

The Outer weight is screwed onto the inner weight, with the screw that you see at the outside end. The rubber O-Rings seperating the inner rod from the handlebar, are what allow the whole mechanism to spin. Not by design, just there is no need to keep it from spinning, just isolate the vibration between the handlebar and the inner weight rod.

The entire two part outer and inner weight is held into the handlebar by the spring clip inside the handlebar, near the end. If you peel back the rubber hand grips and look closely, you will find two small holes drilled through the bars, and the tiny pointy tangs of the spring clip located in them.

bar weight.jpg

The loose mirror is a pretty minor thing. You'd best sort out being able to tighten such things yourself, otherwise what will you do if you bump one with an elbow in a parking lot?

The resetting tripmeter would annoy the heck out of me. Hope that gets resolved ASAP!

My NT700V had this type of bar ends and weights, and I ended up just ordering spares of those spring clips with their tiny tangs, because once you take them out you'll never get them to catch again when you put them back in. They are not expensive.

Here's a photo. This is part #13 in the diagram above.

springclip.jpg

Last edited:
It shouldn't be the battery with a new bike but one symptom of a weak battery is resetting trip meters or the clock when cranking the bike. The voltage drop when the starter motor draws current causes the resets. Does the clock also reset when the trip meter resets?

Mine is the same as AdrienGrey's Dave. It resets during a ride and has never reset on a start up. However, you have got me wondering, because separately I have mentioned to the dealer that the bike starter sounds much more 'tired' than did my NC700 which whirled around like nobody's business. I wonder if there is a poor earth somewhere?
Mike

Another new 750 owner in the UK has posted with the same problem - two resets in 1300 miles. That's only 3 but we could do with working out what is triggering them.
Mike

Back