• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need advice on coating back side of windscreen

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Madstad is a great windscreen, but one flaw is that, since the screen sits out farther forward than stock, it picks of reflections from the headlight. Coating the lower 3 inches of the screen backside solves the problem. So what to coat it with? I currently have some stick-on black vinyl that I applied to the back with the wet method. It looks "pretty" good, but not quite as good as I would like looking through the screen on the front side.

So, I'm thinking some options are:
1) Paint it with Rustoleum or Krylon paint for plastic. This seems perhaps too permanent?
2) Put on a strip of automotive window tint using the wet method.
3) Paint it with Plastidip "Smoke" color, which is intended for blackout treatments on plastic car lenses. Might it peel too easily when cleaning the windscreen?
4) Other ideas ???

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

The Madstad is a great windscreen, but one flaw is that, since the screen sits out farther forward than stock, it picks of reflections from the headlight. Coating the lower 3 inches of the screen backside solves the problem. So what to coat it with? I currently have some stick-on black vinyl that I applied to the back with the wet method. It looks "pretty" good, but not quite as good as I would like looking through the screen on the front side.

So, I'm thinking some options are:
1) Paint it with Rustoleum or Krylon paint for plastic. This seems perhaps too permanent?
2) Put on a strip of automotive window tint using the wet method.
3) Paint it with Plastidip "Smoke" color, which is intended for blackout treatments on plastic car lenses. Might it peel too easily when cleaning the windscreen?
4) Other ideas ???

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

3.jpgI would use Rust-o-leum Textured Black, as it is almost the same color as all the Honda parts on the bike.

SmileyOh.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this works for your needs but there is "smoke tint" paint available that is normally used for plastic tailights, signals and headlights in some cases. It is permanent though. I have seen it used by some to tint the lower sections of bike windscreens or the whole thing.

Here's a link: Smoke Tint spray paint

I think someone has used plasticdip on the screen,you could use it as a test,then peel off and use some more perment paint.just an idea.

I would use the VHT Night Shades that silverhound linked. It's works well, and applied correctly can look really nice. I'd like that over just blacking it out completely and not being able to see through it. I think you can buy it at Advance or Autozone these days.

I put black edge trim on the bottom edge of the windscreen and it stopped most of the headlight reflection. The light was entering the plexiglass on the bottom edge and traveling through the plexiglass, so I placed the edge trim to prevent it entering to begin with.

Plastidip. Super easy to use, and 100% removable with no tools or solvents and no damage.

Plastidip. Super easy to use, and 100% removable with no tools or solvents and no damage.

The question I'd have about PlastiDip is accidental peeling. The bottom 3 inches of the backside of the screen would be the only part painted. At the interface where the paint stops, I'm afraid the easy removal aspect of PlastiDip might make it peel there inadvertently when cleaning the bike and windscreen with washcloths/towels. I have never used PlastiDip (except on some tool handles 30 years ago). Do you think it would peel too easily?

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Thus far I have purchased the NiteShades product but have not yet applied it.

Last edited:
4) Other ideas ???

This may be a dumb idea but I'll throw it out there. Keep in mind I do not know the shape of the bottom edge on a Madstad Windscreen.

What about applying a strip of adhesive weather stripping/foam? I took a couple pictures of stuff I have on hand at the Caterpillar facility. These that I'm showing are for the cabs air conditioning system and duct work but you get the idea.

If you really don't want to paint the windscreen you could use something like this as a blinder of sorts. Just run it across the bottom inside edge of the windscreen following the bends. The stuff is really flexible. It would give in a nice clean look and it comes in a variety of thicknesses.

Just an idea.

20140228_080525.jpg

20140228_080541.jpg

20140228_080558.jpg

20140228_080700.jpg

Last edited:
4) Other ideas ???

This may be a dumb idea but I'll throw it out there. Keep in mind I do not know the shape of the bottom edge on a Madstad Windscreen.

What about applying a strip of adhesive weather stripping/foam? I took a couple pictures of stuff I have on hand at the Caterpillar facility. These that I'm showing are for the cabs air conditioning system and duct work but you get the idea.

If you really don't want to paint the windscreen you could use something like this as a blinder of sorts. Just run it across the bottom inside edge of the windscreen following the bends. The stuff is really flexible. It would give in a nice clean look and it comes in a variety of thicknesses.

Just an idea.

7.jpgbiggrin.gif

There are no dumb ideas, just folks who don't carry though on great ideas.

smileyidea.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I painted my plastic skid plate or cover whatever it is called back in July.it gets all the road grime and has yet to peel,I have even wiped it off with no problems.it would be a cheap try and if it doesn't work out just peel it off.sarge has a good idea also.

Posting to close the loop on this project.

I tried coating the bottom 3 inches of the windscreen with VHT Night Shades, but it was a disaster. Perhaps it was my poor skills, but ANY dust at all made nubbins in the paint, and the dried surface was still shiny, negating the non-reflective quality I was trying to achieve to reduce headlight reflection. Most fortunately, The Night Shades coating wiped right off with brake cleaner (acetone).

So I went with OCR's tip to paint the bottom with Rustoluem Textured Paint for plastic. I turned out very nice. It does what I had intended. I seems to be stuck on there permanently well. Here's a pick of the back side (lying on a dirty white towel). The front side looks factory, like the bottom of the Givi screen.

100_7073.jpg

Last edited:
Back