• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Reserve? nc700s

mercymercyred

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how many miles left do you have in the tank when the fuel gauge is showing one bar left? Getting 64mpg at the moment averaging speed around 80 to 90 mph.

Thanks

My bike is a NC700X, but I guess the fuel tank is the same. I have done 80 km (50% town 50% road) since the gauge starts to flash in red until the bike stoped.

HTH

I have a NCX also, on my first tank, I had 220 miles on the tank when the low fuel light came on.
The way I ride, I should be able to hit 280 miles before I run out.
I don't ride 80+ mph though!

This is a hard one. I hit the red flashing bar when I clock 300km +/- 20km.
I did read someone did run her bone dry...
I would not do that to mine.
:rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that there is either three quarts or three liters left, I can't remember how it was stated. I stored 3/4 of a gallon in my personal memory.

I have tanked up enough times to figure the last bar on my X starts blinking with about .7 gallons left. Given your 64 mpg average that's about 45 miles if all that fuel is usable. The most fuel I put in was 3.2 gallons at +/- 240 miles. That was about 20 miles into the last bar blinking.

thanks, I think I will err on the side of safety and start looking to fuel up no more than 20 miles from the last bar.

Can anyone tell me how many miles left do you have in the tank when the fuel gauge is showing one bar left? Getting 64mpg at the moment averaging speed around 80 to 90 mph.

Thanks

I've seen the 'blinking red line' near "E" when I had 200mi on the clock, then it momentarily popped up to 2 bars again, and back to the red-line (almost like an early warning system). The book says you get the blinking red line at 0.7 gals (US) left in the tank. The last few times I filled up, it took 2.7 gals...

I've done several fills now just after the red line starts blinking. Every time the fill has been very close to 3 gals. I've gone as much as 40 miles into my reserve, expectirng to be dry within 16 miles... I ended up taking 3.32 gals got better than 75.4 mpg on that tank.

Last edited:
I've done several fills now just after the red line starts blinking. Every time the fill has been very close to 3 gals. I've gone as much as 40 miles into my reserve, expectirng to be dry within 16 miles... I ended up taking 3.32 gals got better than 75.4 mpg on that tank.

Hello N97972,
Welcome to the Dark Side....
Your username sounds like either a Droid or a Clone soldier.. (star wars clone wars)
:p

Call me Joe.

The last 3 tanks I waited for the flashing fuel light, all came on right around 180mi. The first two tanks it took 2.7 gal and the third only 2.2 gal. I was expecting to put 3 gallons in each time based on the info in the owners manual... Perhaps I'm inserting the filler nozzle to deep into the tank causing it to shut off automatically before the tank is truly full? But the gauge allways reads full after fueling, maybe my gauge is not so accurate? I'm definitely going to watch this over the next few tanks.

When my bike flashes red constantly, I normally just continue to my destination, about 15-20 miles, when I filled up, it's 2.682 gallons... 189 miles... 70.469MPG

I fill the gas all the way to the rim/neck...

The last 3 tanks I waited for the flashing fuel light, all came on right around 180mi. The first two tanks it took 2.7 gal and the third only 2.2 gal. I was expecting to put 3 gallons in each time based on the info in the owners manual... Perhaps I'm inserting the filler nozzle to deep into the tank causing it to shut off automatically before the tank is truly full? But the gauge allways reads full after fueling, maybe my gauge is not so accurate? I'm definitely going to watch this over the next few tanks.

The gauge reads all five bars until the tank is down one gallon from full. If you "fill" it 0.5 gallons short it's still going to read full.

I never use the pump nozzle shut off when filling the bike. I (hopefully) find a pump with good low flow rate control and fill to the absolute rim visually. It is very consistent that way, and I know I'll have a range of at least 250 miles. I generally run past the flashing bar by 15-20 miles or so and put around 3 (US) gallons in.

Greg

I've had varying experiences so far with the gauge's LCD blocks and accuracy.

Last tank, the first block disappeared @ 179 km's +/- (111 miles) but the second one disappeared only 16 km's later, @ 195 km's (121 miles) on the tripmeter! I wasn't doing any different riding during those 16 km's. I didn't go onto the highway, or come off the highway into the city. It was consistently riding along slowly in a quiet, no traffic urban setting.

The remaining blocks went away more quickly than I thought they should/would, and the reserve started flashing red at about 270 km's. (167.7 miles) I went to 304 kilometres (188.9 miles) showing on the trip before filling up, and it took 12.24 litres. (3.23 US gal.)

My first tank was 48-ish, my second was 59-ish US mpg. I suuure do hope it picks up! :eek:

My 1st bar disappears at about 100 miles but the next 4 bars go away in the next 100 miles, had the red line once and it took a little over 3 gal, red line seems to be as stated in book, the rest of the bars work weird.

I've had a very different experience: each bar disappears in 40-45 US miles under normal conditions and driving normally. I usually fill up after 175 miles, give or take a few, and it takes between 2.4 and 2.6 depending on how long I kept driving after the red bar of death started blinking at me.

For the guy who's only getting 55 or 60 mpg, and barring some mechanical malfunction, you should read your manual's recommended shift points and stick more closely to those. Of course that won't make much difference by itself; you have to ease up on the throttle as well. I've been getting around 70 mpg, sometimes a little more, but I drive it pretty sensibly.

I just got back from a trip to North Carolina and I was hoping to see what my average over the 1400 mile trip was, but the way back I had a pretty consistent 30 kt. tailwind so I didn't bother.

I just don't understand these numbers. I've only checked two tanks but they were 66.8 first and 70.1 last. I don't baby mine either. I only have about 600 miles so it's not like mine's broke in more.

I admit to being a little surprised/chagrined, since many of my F800ST mpg numbers were way higher. I'm not giving up or getting too caught up in these figures just yet. It's entirely possible my bike is on the extreme outset of tolerances and is a lot tighter than some of it's sisters. We'll see where we are after 10 or 20 tanks have run through before I grow too perturbed, lol.

Even at that though, I am really loving the bike, so if this was as good as it gets for mpg (and I really doubt this) well, what the heck. So be it.

Back