• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

a question or 2 about the 750x

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I currently own a 2014 Kawasaki Versys 650abs and a 2014 Yamaha BWS125 scooter (Zuma)

I traded a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja650abs in October and took delivery of the 2014 Versys on Nov 22 2013.
I am interested in these new 750 bikes from Honda. I did like the 700x but got a better $$ deal on the Versys.

Due to it being too wintery i never got a chance to ride the versys until Sat 25 Jan 2014. It is a tall bike and will
take a bit getting used to. but i am liking these Honda's and may look at changing in the late spring/early summer.
I will have a better idea of how i like the Versys after i get a few more longer rides in. I may find i like the Versys
but it is bit bit top heavy and a handful in slow traffic. Not sure if i can get used to that.

I have read a bit and watched several Utube reviews of the 750's. The one thing reviewers had said about the 750x is
it is a tall(er) bike. Looking at the specs its just 1in shorter than the Versys. (i am 6ft 180LB 32in inseam) so i am wondering
how the x is with the tallness and the extra weight? (its about 20lb heavier than the versys) One thing i understand is that with
the Honda engine slanted forward and the gas under seat it makes for a lower centre of gravity. Do you find the weight of the bike
an issue?

i never liked the look of the 700s but think the 750s (especially in red) to be hot looking. Plus it has a lower seat height.
Havent had a chance to see them in person but look forward to the spring and hopefully be able to have a sit on both models (S and X)

i am not a speed demon and tend to keep the speed at no more that 30kph over limit. Wondering how the new 750 models handle speeds
of 130kph? Are they just purring along and able to ride like that all day? or do they feel over worked?

I'm 5'6" with 29" inseam. The NCX is not a top heavy bike. I think it feels much lighter

My 700X has absolutely no problem maintaining a 130 kph/80 mph pace and does not feel or sound overworked doing so. The vibration in the pegs, bars, and seat at this speed will feel like a magic carpet compared to a Versys based on my test rides (3) of that bike.

Hello and welcome to the forum. The weight is definitely not an issue and most of the weight is very low in the frame. You'll have no problems with seat height or weight.

I've posted a new 750 video review by Cager on 2 wheels in the video section for the 750 machines.

Last edited:
The weight is definately not an issue for me, I'm also 6' and 12 stone (168lbs) and also have a 32 inside leg.

My previous bike was a Varadero, also very heavy, and top heavy at that.

I've only done 455 miles so far on my 750X DCT but I knew on the test ride that it fitted me beautifully.

The NC's weight is well disguised until you push back out of the garage for example, and then you remember it's actually the best part of 230kg!

Once you've pushed about a bit, that's it, all the weight issues are over, just sitting on it and the weight feels massively diminished, because it is so well balanced, coming to a stop is a doddle, it just stays upright!

As for motorway speeds, I have the stock windscreen and I find that 80mph is just about a half comfortable limit, but I'm only referring to the wind blast, above 80mph and I'm hanging on!

Mine feels like the engine isn't really working hard at all at 80mph, but as I'm still running it in I don't too much long straight stuff, mostly twisty variable speed type roads.

I'm no speed demon either and so far, the bike is exceeding my expectations, if you want break neck speed and super sport performance then don't buy an NC, but you've already made it clear that's not you, so I would say go for it, get a ride and see for yourself.

Keep us posted.:)

The weight can be a pain to me literally. I have to remember to not park with the bike face down any sort of slope as I am not able to pull the bike back. I have a pin and plated elbow which stops me doing so as it get very painful but funny enough I can push forward easily enough. I wont ever be parking down hill like this again as needed a passer by to help me out :)

DSC_0506-M.jpg

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. The seat height is not an issue for me although I'm a centimeter from being on my tip toes. Everyone else has said the same thing I would say when it comes to weight. When riding the bike it handles very nicely for its weight. When parking the bike I too have to remind myself not to park with the nose on the downhill slope. Even a slight downhill slope. In all fairness though its pretty much that way on any bike. My CBR's did weigh less than the NC and they were easier for me to back out of those types of situations.

Thank you for the advice and information people. Much appreciated, gives me much to think about over the next few months.
Still undecided if i want to go for the x ... as in my op. If it was the 700's then x no question. (the S was ugly imo) but the 750s is sexy
Seeing that the 750x is 1in shorter than the Versys. i do not think its height will be an issue. i can flat foot it on the Versys.

From what i can gather, the difference btwn the s and x are body style and suspension travel. other wise they the same bike?
or one has different suspension parts? (example. the Versys is based off the Ninja motor. but the rear swingarm and suspension totally different
in the 2 bikes)

I see that the 750's are on the Honda Canada website. but not sure if they have stock yet. Really want to see them in person. oh ya. one thing i really
love is that "frunk" would probably not need a top case. One more question, the passenger grab rails. I cant tell from the pictures. How is the grab rail
attached to the bike? is it open ended or is there a place i could slip a cable lock thru to lock down my full face helmet?

was just looking at pix in other thread. You lucky bastages that get the X in red. that bike looks great
we only get the poopy grey one here

Last edited:
The 700x can go all day at 80+mph (130+ kph) if you want with no issue (I have done it numerous times); though the best fuel mileage is around 60-65mph on the Interstate. The US is not getting the 750 series anytime soon (not in 2014). There is a helmet lock loop under the rear seat and they come with a little cable which you can loop through your helmet connector and then connect to the latch under the rear seat. You can also use your own cable and loop through the grab rails. The bike only feels heavy when you are pushing it; and you can easily be seated on the bike, stopped at a red light, and only have one foot down with no issues of holding it up (I am 5'10" and have the front of the seat raised 1.5" and still flat foot the bike with both feet).

never liked using the bike helmet locks. Keep imagining someone just cutting the strap and walking away with helmet.
I like to use a 5mm (thick) small bicycle cable lock i loop thru the grab rails and the chinbar of helmet. Or put it in a top box if
i have one. If i am going to be away from the bike for a few hrs and cant put the helmet in a top box i will take helmet with me.

hello everyone. thanks for the replies ... just wanted to update and pass on the news.

I am now the proud owner of a 2014 NC750s :)

I traded in the Versys. i had been thinking about this for a month or 2 now. Considered the Ninja 300. The Yamaha FZ09 and even the CB500f
but i knew the only answer was the 750s

I was at the Yamaha dealer yesterday. Got some price $$. And then to the Kowie dealer to have a look and sit on the 300. Too small for me and the seat is like a torture device.
Just sitting for 5 min my rear was sore. Dont want to think about what a few hrs of riding would do.

so today for the hell of it i stopped by the Honda Dealer. As luck for have it they literally just got a 750s in and it was just freshly PDI'd

worked some numbers that i liked. so i got it. I put a deposit and had an appt to go to. so i came back a few hrs later with the balance $$. But the number the sales droid quoted out the door
was off (higher) turns out the sales person forgot a couple of things. (he is new) So they were going to work something out for me since it was their mistake ($233 higher)
They will be delivering my new bike on monday and picking up the Versys. so i was happy with that. We took care of all the paper work and insurance stuff so all they have to do on monday
is drop off the new bike and remove the old

cant wait. now just need some sun. i noticed the bike has Metzler Z8 tires. How are they? i read they super slippy when new. Glad i am waiting till monday is nasty rainy stormy all day today.

pix
Z3z9FyYl.jpg

KKNB27jl.jpg

Last edited:
Surprised it has Metzler Z8's. I thought everyone else who has purchased a 750 said they have an entirely different tire than anything previously on the NC. Regardless, seems there are two opinions on these tires but any new tire has to be scrubbed in.

Congrats on the new bike though. I'm jealous.

hmmm interesting. my last post seems to be gone. Sgtchuck appeared to reply to it but i dont see it anymore

where did pix of the new bike go? :(

some observations about the NC. You are right that the nc hides its weight well.
Feels 40lb lighter than the Versys instead of 20lb heavier and that is including a full tank
of gas. I just love that frunk, seems to be bigger than the nc700 frunk

ps. i see my post and pix are back today. :)

Last edited:
Ah another 750S - excellent choice Monsieur...:D. I have a 750S Dct which I'm phenomenally happy with.
My bike is also fitted with Metzler's, but there was a manual 750S parked next to mine in the dealer kitted out with Bridgestone's, so there you go....???
Yes the Metzler's feel a little light in feel for my personal taste. I prefer a tyre I can feel working on the bends. However, inspite of the slight lack of feel they handle the bends safely.

well. my new nc750s is home now. In its parking spot beside my Yamaha BWS125 scooter

a question about the rear seat (gas tank access) just wondering if something is amiss or just bad technique.
Had a hard time closing it. one side would lock down but had trouble latching down the other side. Do you have to push in middle
of seat? both sides at same time? i am guessing it is bad technique because i found no other posts about this upon a web search.

next question is about a battery tender lead. i assume there is a way to the outside of the bike from the battery box?

here is pic of the bikes

rFGh1nX.jpg

I set the seat down and then give a little push in the middle. Sometimes one side won't click so I give that side a little whack. On rare occasions I unlock and start over.

Last edited:
Damn not a red fan but I love that color. If Honda can ever be bothered to grace us with these in the US one will likely be finding it's way into my garage.

I have taken a heated clothing lead from the battery through the not-tank and exited it near the top back. If you look from the left side of the bike under the seat you can see the area of the not-tank that you need to drill. In order to keep the hole size down, I cut the cable in the middle before threading it through the hole then used a small block connector in the bottom of the not-tank space. On my previous 700X I did the same thing and gaffa-taped the cable to the inside of the not-tank, and used a rubber grommet where it exited. So far the loose cable on the 750X has not caused any problems so I may just leave it, and it's not showing any size of wear at the small hole.
Mike

Back