• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Had a get off today

bamamate

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Road was a bit muddy today but was fine until the consistency changed.

[video=youtube_share;hoSgBcnHE_o]http://youtu.be/hoSgBcnHE_o[/video]

I cut out the few minutes of pulling it back out of the ditch. Couldn't get it out holding onto the side and handlebar so I went to the back and pulled on both passenger grab bars. took a few pulls to get it out. One of these days I'm going to find myself stuck to where I'm walking out.

Tweaked the front turn signal and after 2 drops on the right side the SW-Engine guards are definitely shifted to the left. The connector rod does transfer the load to both sides as the right side is now closer and the left side is further away from the body.

Bruised and cut my left shin. Figure it hit the foot peg. Might have to pull the trigger on the ADV boots I've been looking at and need to figure out what I'm going to do about tires. PR3s are great on the road and have done fine off road until it gets muddy which I keep finding mud.

Sorry to see you had a get off, but nice to know you were not badly injured. Knobby tires would have probably helped a lot.
I thought you had Givi engine bars on you bike?

Last edited:
wow... it's amazing to see you use this MC on that terrain. I'm also a little surprised that the crash bars didn't do a better job. That was a low speed fall on to a soft (softer than asphault) surface.

Crash bars are on my radar, but I wonder if they are really worth the price of admission.

Road was a bit muddy today but was fine until the consistency changed.

I cut out the few minutes of pulling it back out of the ditch. Couldn't get it out holding onto the side and handlebar so I went to the back and pulled on both passenger grab bars. took a few pulls to get it out. One of these days I'm going to find myself stuck to where I'm walking out.

Tweaked the front turn signal and after 2 drops on the right side the SW-Engine guards are definitely shifted to the left. The connector rod does transfer the load to both sides as the right side is now closer and the left side is further away from the body.

Bruised and cut my left shin. Figure it hit the foot peg. Might have to pull the trigger on the ADV boots I've been looking at and need to figure out what I'm going to do about tires. PR3s are great on the road and have done fine off road until it gets muddy which I keep finding mud.

3.jpg

If you are going to keep riding in the mud you will need 40% on road, 60% of road tires.

40% On Road / 60 % Off Road Dirt Tires:

Heidenau K60
Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Retail $194.00

Continental TKC80 Tires
Front Tire - 120/70-17 Retail $174.95 Vdr Part # 02000230000
Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Retail $253.95 Vdr Part # 02471420000

Kenda K784 Big Block
Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Retail $179.99 Vdr Part # 047841721B0

Shinko 705
Rear Tire - 150/70-17 Retail $124.95 WPS Part # 874536

smileyidea.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Strat, in my opinion the engine guards did what they are supposed to do. They absorbed the energy of the impact much like a bumper. You can't tell from the video but pretty much the whole weight of the bike went onto the guard and the skid plate when the front tire went into the ditch. I like that these are connected and the energy is spread across both sides of the guards.

I'm thinking about the Shinko 705. I've been avoiding going to a more aggressive tire since I still want to be able to keep up with sergeantchuck in the twisties but I'm having a lot of fun exploring the fire roads. I really need 2 bikes.

Yep it's looks to have gotten a bit soupy out there. That's something I'd take on a trail bike, but I haven't the guts to do it on an NC. Sorry for your drop, but I'm glad the damage was minimal.

Thanks for posting this and the video. Looks like it was a soft landing but videos can be deceiving. You are one crazy mother going out in that stuff. I'm to much of a chicken. I don't mind the light gravel or hard packed dirt but I've almost bite it twice in muddy conditions so stopped messing with them. What sucks is there are so many beautiful back roads around here you want to take them.

Sounds like the crash bar did it's job. May have even prevented the bike from really smashing your leg. I don't have any so I don't know how far the extend outward so just a guess.

Glad you only have a couple scratches.

Wow, the mud flying off the front tire after the get off was impressive! I'm glad you and the bike only got a few dings. Could we avoid that road on our spring ride? :D

Yeah, once the tread packs up with that silty, sticky clay it's a slick. I'm not sure any dual purpose tire would do much better in that kind of mud. It reminds me of where I grew up - lower Alabama in the Florida panhandle. Glad it wasn't any worse for you. When I started riding a dual purpose bike I invested in a pair of off road riding boots. I only have two ankles left at my age and I need them both. They weren't that expensive at $130. What size do you wear? I sold that bike and the size 9 boots are gathering dust.

I really need 2 bikes.

Anyone know how much a set of rims, discs, rear sprocket etc. would cost? Probably not enough "totaled" NCs in the junkyard to get a used set cheap yet... And even if there were, I can't imagine the wheels that come out of a salvage title are in the best of shape.

Maybe keep a set of rims with off road tires and one with on road tires for a relatively quick swap between the two.

Additional bonus, when your tires wear down and your new tires are back ordered you don't' need to stop riding, just switch to the other set.

Great vid, thats how I use my X as well. I have only just invested in a cam, wish I had it for some of the rides Ive done to date. This bike is fantastic as an "adventure"? bike. Other than the obvious ground clearance and protection issues, the low center of gravity has me taking mine on the stock tires in mucho stupid places.

glad there was no injuries.

Engine guards are supposed to take care of what it did. No big deal by dings, just means you'er enjoying your bike nicely!
it was interesting watching the mud fly off when it was so muddy.

I've been riding the maintenance roads under power lines which look just like that road you are on. Scary on stock tires but man is it fun.

Gigs

Anyone know how much a set of rims, discs, rear sprocket etc. would cost? Probably not enough "totaled" NCs in the junkyard to get a used set cheap yet... And even if there were, I can't imagine the wheels that come out of a salvage title are in the best of shape.

Maybe keep a set of rims with off road tires and one with on road tires for a relatively quick swap between the two.

Additional bonus, when your tires wear down and your new tires are back ordered you don't' need to stop riding, just switch to the other set.

For the price of a complete quick change wheel set for you NC, you can probably find a mid 80's cruiser on Craigslist with 35,000 miles on it. :)

Sorry about your crash good your ok. This is the kind of crash we use to have with DT Yamaha's with low mounted front fenders. The mud would build up between the ft. tire and fender causing the ft. tire not to roll so good. This is why dirt bikes have high mounted ft. fenders.

Back