• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Time for some lovin!

Osomxl

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've put over 9000 hard miles on the Nc since march 2013 and the bike is ready for some maintenance.

The stock chain is starting to make all kinds of noise. Admittedly, I have neglected to oil on a regular basis and the desert, with all the rain and mud has taken its toll. I have ordered a chain and sprocket set from sprocket center as well as the motion pro chain/tire alignment tool and one of their chain breaker tools and a set of shinko 705's from revzilla.com

I will be doing a complete 8000 mile service to include oil and oil filter change, air filter change, coolant change, chain and sprocket change, tire swap and as well as I am tearing the bike apart, I will be adding a 6 circuit fuse block and will be redoing the wiring for the rigid industries off-road LEDs and the Oxford heated grips.

What else should I be looking to do for the 8000 mile service?

Have there been any threads on hooking accessories up to a relay and fuse block for ignition on operation only?

Heck, I'm even kicking around the idea of covering all the painted plastic in 3m vinyl in the silver or graphite carbon fiber for a different, but not to different look and scratch protection.

What do you all think?

Will wait for all things to arrive and will try to document and update as I go.

The air filter is a recommended 12k change, although if you're kicking around in the dirt an earlier swap might make sense. You didn't mention a valve clearance check. It's important, especially since it'll be the first one.
I'd recommend swapping out the rear shock while you've got the tire off, but that'd be a bit expensive. Only other thing I can think of is a thorough inspection of your various lines and wires, make sure nothing's been pinched or chewed.
And just noticed you're in my neck of the woods, how come I haven't seen you around anywhere?

I started a thread earlier where I added a 6-slot bus bar in the frunk. I ran it off the ignition, no relay, since I'm just using it for some LED lighting. Low amp draw. It's been installed a while now with no issues.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4874-led-accent-lights.html

I've used the 3M Di-Noc vinyl film on another bike with good results. Order more than you think you'll need, as it takes a few tries to get comfortable with the procedure. You will need a nice clean workspace and a heat gun. The stuff needs to be heated to form over curves. Once you get a good feel for the material, it works really well and has not peeled or bubbled so far. You will need 3M adhesive primer for any edges.

20131112_165825.jpg
20130926_104939.jpg

Oops! Forgot to mention the valve clearance check, but yes will be done prior to coolant replacement. Don't think I'll be swapping out the rear shock quite yet.

What oil is readily available? i have read the debate over mobile 1 racing oil and dont really have an opinion either way. The local shop is a good distance away and I am not impressed with their service or prices or actual availability of anything and would prefer to not shop there.

Hey chestnut! Probably haven't seen me because I get up and ride the moto across the border at 5:00am and get back. Home about 10:00pm out here in Mexicali. Busy working during the day and teaching at night. I average about 4 hours of sleep a night! That's why the maintenance has been lacking on the bike. Absolutely no time.

Thanks Lou! I will definitely read your thread. I think I need a relay due to the draw of the heated grips. More than once I have come out the bike after work and found the battery dead, sometimes my fault and a couple of times someone else must of been curious and started pressing buttons and turned them on. Luckily I've always been able to catch someone with a set of cables to give me a jump.

Oops! Forgot to mention the valve clearance check, but yes will be done prior to coolant replacement. Don't think I'll be swapping out the rear shock quite yet.

What oil is readily available? i have read the debate over mobile 1 racing oil and dont really have an opinion either way. The local shop is a good distance away and I am not impressed with their service or prices or actual availability of anything and would prefer to not shop there.

Hey chestnut! Probably haven't seen me because I get up and ride the moto across the border at 5:00am and get back. Home about 10:00pm out here in Mexicali. Busy working during the day and teaching at night. I average about 4 hours of sleep a night! That's why the maintenance has been lacking on the bike. Absolutely no time.

Thanks Lou! I will definitely read your thread. I think I need a relay due to the draw of the heated grips. More than once I have come out the bike after work and found the battery dead, sometimes my fault and a couple of times someone else must of been curious and started pressing buttons and turned them on. Luckily I've always been able to catch someone with a set of cables to give me a jump.

6.jpg

Your motorcycle can be a great friend. You take care of her, and see will never let you down.

smileyladylaff.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Just like most of the other Honda accessories, I'm sure that the sub-harness and relay kit are nice, but they are SO expensive. I think it was about $80 for the kit. I utilized the slot where the Honda relay would fit in the fuse box and just tapped off the IGN terminal there with a an AGM fused link and a 3 amp fuse. FOr heavier draw items, like heated stuff, the Honda relay and harness kit are probably a good idea (and very easy to install).

Back