• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you carry a 1st aid kit? Just do it!

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea. Even better is to learn how to use it. Attend a first aid/CPR class. I just did one of these last month. I'm pretty good at fixing machines, but it's also important to know how to fix people!

If you're in the USA, search here: Find a Course

2.jpgEvery bike should have 1st aid kit. If you ride around the corner or around the world get a 1st aid kit. A lot of good 1st aids kits can be purchased every where, from your local motorcycle dealer to Wal Mart. Just do it!2.jpg

smileyAccident.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I do have a small first aid kit for motorcycles, but much to my shame I don't carry it with me when I'm out and about on my bike.
I really should make more of an effort.

Great idea. Even better is to learn how to use it. Attend a first aid/CPR class. I just did one of these last month. I'm pretty good at fixing machines, but it's also important to know how to fix people!

If you're in the USA, search here: Find a Course

Last edited:
I don't use my frunk for my helmet so I have several odds and ends in there. One of which is a mini first aid kit. Mostly bandages and some Neosporin. All in a ziplock bag.

3.jpg

I would highly advise anyone to call their local fire department. Many firemen are members of the Red Knights motorcycle club. Often, they teach a First Aid/CPR class that is for motorcyclist. These Red Knight classes are very good, and teach what you need to know as a biker.

smileyiphone.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
having had some experience with road rash as a bicyclist, I really should carry a small kit. We carry band aids on our tandem bike, big ones, for covering large patches of road rash.

May I suggest cutting up a pair of panty hose. They work wonders... when you have really large patches of road rash. You cover the worst with gauze or band aids, then put your arm or leg in the tube of the hose over the wounds. (works best for arms/legs)

The hose holds the bandages in place securely without the sticky "goo" problem band aids cause alone. Your bandages will not come off under the hose. They are the same color as your skin, and folks didn't even know I was wearing them on my arms right away.

Always keep one on the FJR. Nice compact kit in a softsided case. It has a surprising amount and variety of implements,remedies and dressings. I hope I never need any of them.

I just want to make a note. I don't carry mine for my use. Knock on wood. I carry it for others.

A year and a half ago, while at work, I banged my shin on a thin metal rod, in much the same way we've all done to a coffee table. It didn't tear my pants leg; it didn't cause any bleeding.

Five hours later I was running a temperature close to that of a burning paint factory and shivering like a dog passing peach pits. When I tried to climb down out of the truck I could barely stand on my left leg.

I'll trim the gruesome details in the interest of brevity, but through that nearly invisible scratch I had contacted a bug that ballooned my left calf and foot, had me urinating blood, turned my leg a black I didn't think possible short of gangrene setting in, and came damned close to killing me through kidney failure.

The guys in my section at work, as is our custom, all chipped in about $20 each for me. And as is the custom here in general I had to prepare some sort of thank-you gift in return.....I bought them all first-aid kits to put in their trucks. If I had had one with me and had dabbed a bit of disinfectant on that insignificant scratch when it happened, I wouldn't be spending the rest of my life with lymphedema and impaired kidneys.

It isn't just the gory, gushy, spurting artery type wounds that a first-aid kit can save you a lot of heartache and misery on. Clean off the minor stuff as well; you never know what nasty microscopic critters are lurking on stuff.

A year and a half ago, while at work, I banged my shin on a thin metal rod, in much the same way we've all done to a coffee table. It didn't tear my pants leg; it didn't cause any bleeding.

Five hours later I was running a temperature close to that of a burning paint factory and shivering like a dog passing peach pits. When I tried to climb down out of the truck I could barely stand on my left leg.

I'll trim the gruesome details in the interest of brevity, but through that nearly invisible scratch I had contacted a bug that ballooned my left calf and foot, had me urinating blood, turned my leg a black I didn't think possible short of gangrene setting in, and came damned close to killing me through kidney failure.

The guys in my section at work, as is our custom, all chipped in about $20 each for me. And as is the custom here in general I had to prepare some sort of thank-you gift in return.....I bought them all first-aid kits to put in their trucks. If I had had one with me and had dabbed a bit of disinfectant on that insignificant scratch when it happened, I wouldn't be spending the rest of my life with lymphedema and impaired kidneys.

It isn't just the gory, gushy, spurting artery type wounds that a first-aid kit can save you a lot of heartache and misery on. Clean off the minor stuff as well; you never know what nasty microscopic critters are lurking on stuff.

My supervisor just had something very similar to this and he had no idea how or when he caused the scratch. They caught his a little sooner but he was still in the hospital for a week. He was told he had cellulites. He had identical symptoms as you described. All this for a small scratch.

You make a very good point. Sorry to here about your permanent damage.

6.jpg

I would not leave the house without a tube of this stuff:

Skin Care Products from NEOSPORIN® Brand

smileybandaid.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
May I suggest cutting up a pair of panty hose. They work wonders... when you have really large patches of road rash. You cover the worst with gauze or band aids, then put your arm or leg in the tube of the hose over the wounds. (works best for arms/legs)

The hose holds the bandages in place securely without the sticky "goo" problem band aids cause alone. Your bandages will not come off under the hose. They are the same color as your skin, and folks didn't even know I was wearing them on my arms right away.

Great idea! I DO carry one and am AED/CPR certified.

Put 1st aid kit in a place not locked up on your bike. Otherwise, how can someone get it for you? Also, put a sticker on it, so someone else can find it! Tool tubes work great for this!0.jpg

FirstAidSticker.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thing, in our country it's mandatory to carry a first aid kit with you, even on small scooters. And to get a driver's licence you have to complete a first aid course and take an exam in CPR and to make a proper bandage in case of a pumper (?) wound and so on, the life-saving ones. Paramedics and doctors lead the courses and you get to ride-along on ambulances... Kinda cool. :)

Back