• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First road trip on the NC

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am on my way from Georgia to Watkins Glen, New York to attend a BMW rally on a Honda. I won't be able to post pics until I return next week. Meanwhile, you can follow the progress here...

EDIT: Spot tracking link removed (it was a live link and no longer shows the trip route)

It rained most of the way today. The coal dust mixed with the rain to make the roads slippery. Hwy 421 had some pretty twisty sections as well. Slow and easy. The NC did great. Except for the seat from hell..

Last edited:
Well at least your butt will keep you awake. Ride safe! That Spot is really neat stuff. I'm not that tech savvy so bare with me.
I'm hoping a set of seat pans will show up somewhere so I can send the to RDL.
I'm still sore from my little ride.

Well at least your butt will keep you awake. Ride safe! That Spot is really neat stuff. I'm not that tech savvy so bare with me.
I'm hoping a set of seat pans will show up somewhere so I can send the to RDL.
I'm still sore from my little ride.

Last one to Russell is a rotten egg. This seat is a vinyl crucifix.

It will be at least December before I can send RDL mine.(Don't want to loose the NC unless its cold.)
When winter gets here I'll ride my GL1200 because of the full fairing.

That's a big trip! Best of luck -and comfort, to ya. The stock saddle on the NC worries me. I have a big trip in about 10 days and i'm looking for economical ways to make my arse hurt the least.
I came across a post (on another site) about a "cheapskin" comfy seat add-on. Gonna try my hand at makin' one of these before I shell out serious money on something else.
I did a 270 mile run a few days ago on the stock seat, and it really solidified the need to find a better way to run the bigger trips.

I am on my way from Georgia to Watkins Glen, New York to attend a BMW rally on a Honda. I won't be able to post pics until I return next week. Meanwhile, you can follow the progress here... http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0a6Gg1lPMqZt69IocqvuLOPquWbnzgft4 It rained most of the way today. The coal dust mixed with the rain to make the roads slippery. Hwy 421 had some pretty twisty sections as well. Slow and easy. The NC did great. Except for the seat from hell..
Please take loads of photos, and immortalise the looks on those beemerphiles when they see the NCX and upload them here. :D Ride safe and have a fun trip!

About 600 miles yesterday. This is a live link so it won't show yesterday's ride for long. Today I finish the trip to Huntsville, AL. I ran through dense thunderstorms last night until about midnight.

I know that some of the self-appointed content monitors have declared a ban on further seat gripes, but this seat must die. Otherwise, I am quite happy with it as an econo-tourer. The suspension does indeed need better response to frost heaves and concrete highway joints and the headlight is marginal for bad weather and nighttime running in areas where fur-bearing woodland forest creatures may be playing in the road. All these mods will follow in good time.

The gas range, by the way, seems entirely adequate, at least for the Eastern US. I might think differently running in the west or through the Yukon and Alaska, but I doubt this bike will be taken there. It may see Labrador though. I can always take a fuel Rotopak for that.

Last edited:
I also changed my GL1200 seat Joe.
I just have to make it fit me is all. I guess I'm not the average buyer. huh
No biggie though, this bike is worth the effort to me.
Then it will be a tourer, grocery getter and so on.

Now for some pictures from my recent trip from Georgia to New York. Here is an interior view of the Givi V35 with three days of clothing packed. I use Eagle Creek square packers. Each holds one change of clothes. They fit perfectly into the bag with no wasted space. I used the remaining nooks and crannies for toiletries and medicines and such. I am a real fan of these sidecases...

DSC00490[1].jpg

I went through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the way up. I have been there countless times, but I always enjoy it more on week-days when school is in session because there is less traffic (especially RV's)...

DSC00492[1].jpg

This is Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York where I used to live...

DSC00496[1].jpg

Here is the way a patriotic local farmer dresses his field. USA! USA! USA!

DSC00497[1].jpg

Time for a quick check of the brakes...

DSC00506[1].jpg

This was my house when I lived here. It is in a 97 acre (39 ha) Concord grape vineyard. And the grapes are in!

DSC00501[1].jpgDSC00500[1].jpg

Last edited:
Nice trip. I have only been to BMW airhead rallies on a BMW. The other ones and the international I always ride a Honda.

Back