• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who will build the first middle weight shaft drive adventure bike?

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
6.jpgI found this poll on another forum to be quite interesting. I wish such a thing would happen, but like the 50 folks in the last category believe, it just is not in the stars!

Adventure.jpg

SmileyOh.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I have had 4 Moto Guzzi's and if a 750 "Baby" Stelvio had been available, I probably would have bought it. It would be relatively easy for MG to do so, as they have done so in the past and have the parts available and plenty of engineering expertise. Being a small company whose annual total sales are probably less than a week's sales of Honda, I doubt if they will do so. I like the Stelvio 1200 though it is a little tall and top heavy for me. I am contemplating a new BMW R1200GS for my 2-up long distance traveling bike in 2014. It is not much heavier than the NC (about 70 lbs) and the CG is quite low. The ergonomics of the Lowered Suspension model are nearly identical to the NC and I love that riding position. Never going back to the MG California foot forward position.

It might be worthwhile to expand the question to be more of who will create a non-chain drive adventure bike. BMW went down that route. HD has as well. It's a lot lighter than a shaft and eliminates the chain oiling and maintenance.

Chris

Most manufacturers have deemed belts inappropriate for bikes that may be campaigned off-road as prone to catastrophic failures from rocks and other debris. So it is not likely, but possible. Maybe a totally enclosed drive system with a belt?

Weird you would ask such a question and not include Moto Guzzi who already makes smaller engine shaft drive bikes. They just need to make an adventure version of any of their current bikes.

It might be worthwhile to expand the question to be more of who will create a non-chain drive adventure bike. BMW went down that route. HD has as well. It's a lot lighter than a shaft and eliminates the chain oiling and maintenance.

Chris

...not if it's a BMW :eek:

MY F800 had belt drive. "No maintenence" they said. Hah! Every time I took it in for a frequent outrageous costing service, sure enough, "adjust belt" was written in big bold letters across the page.

The $$$$ belt is special and proprietary. It is made by Continental, especially for the F800, there are zero aftermarket suppliers. Continental cannot sell them to anyone but BMW. (An individual can't go around, and buy direct from Continental)

Trivia: I paid the upcharge package to get a centre stand on my BMW.Irony? You can't take the belt off or put one on, if you have a centre stand. You have to remove the centre stand to replace the belt!! lol

If a rock/s got caught in between the belt and pulley, *pop* holed/destroyed belt.

The engine vibrations and non safety clipped or otherwise backup fastened front pulley bolt would vibrate and spin out, causing the belt cog to chew it's way straight through the plastic case cover on the engine, and fling itself to freedom down the road, in some cases, never to be seen again!

All different bikes, a small quick sample of front pulley failures only. All street only ridden, no offroad!

frontsprocketfailure1.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk%2021362071002_256549.jpg

One of those pics above is a friend of mine, and his happened out in the middle of nowhere far from home on a trip, and no Cell coverage. In the US, and he's Canadian.

Er, no thanks for belt drive bikes and off pavement for me. And Lord, especially not BMW! Maybe if Honda made it, and the design wasn't demented, expensive, and insane for user serviceability. Chains and sprockets are at least cheaper and easier to fix and or re/re if needed, and much more likely to be available in more places.

Regarding Shaft drive versus belt or chain.

For amusement, google: "BMW final drive failure"

1. LBS As an ex-BMW owner (12 of them, slow learner) I'm not even slightly surprised. I have two Harleys with belt drives. I have plenty of options for belts and pulleys and no such evidence of poor engineering. If you buy a BMW expect to be treated like you are stupid and very rich.

2. BMW created the Adventure Bike segment with a mid-sized (800 cc) shaft drive bike, the R80GS. The R80GS is now a highly sought after collector's item.

3. The Buell Ulysses worked well in limited off roading with belt drive. When there was a report of a problem is was nearly always not catastrophic (rode the bike home) and the rider would generally admit he had removed the bet guards so the bike would "look better". :rolleyes:

The correct question is who will build a modern mid-sized Adventure Bike with a shaft.

Goose

Last edited:
1. LBS As an ex-BMW owner (12 of them, slow learner) I'm not even slightly surprised. I have two Harleys with belt drives. I have plenty of options for belts and pulleys and no such evidence of poor engineering. If you buy a BMW expect to be treated like you are stupid and very rich.

2. BMW created the Adventure Bike segment with a mid-sized (800 cc) shaft drive bike, the R80GS. The R80GS is now a highly sought after collector's item.

3. The Buell Ulysses worked well in limited off roading with belt drive. When there was a report of a problem is was nearly always not catastrophic (rode the bike home) and the rider would generally admit he had removed the bet guards so the bike would "look better". :rolleyes:

The correct question is who will build a modern mid-sized Adventure Bike with a shaft.

Goose

Apparently, the general motorcycling public (or at least North America for sure, siiiigh) is unwilling to buy, or too stupid and unworthy to rate getting a fraction of the cool bikes Honda made way back in the 1980's.

Hydraulic valves, shaft drive, air/oil cooled 750cc VTwin :( :( :(

Honda XLV750R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honda%20XLV750R%20%203.jpg

Goose

You mean like the title of this thread? :)

At the time of the XLV 750 R, the two stroke was the dirt bike folks purchased. Four cycle weight to power rations had not caught up, yet. Today's four strokes put out a lot more horsepower, and government regulations killed the two stroke.3.jpg

Smileywink.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back