• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

World's Longest Motorcycle Trip

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
7.jpgBefore the 1960's the long distance record was held by a 2 cycle Vespa 180cc at a little over 25,000 miles in one trip. The little Vespa could run top speed of 75 mph.

Today a 1980 Honda Goldwing holds the record at 457,000 miles with a top speed of 112 mph.

List of long-distance motorcycle riders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just goes to show you can ride anything around the world, if you want to.

smileystar.jpg

Last edited:
The Gold Wing guy, according to Wikipedia:

By the end of his journey in 1995, Scotto went through 13 64-page passports and his motorcycle received one replacement engine, consumed 12,500 US gallons (47,000 L) of gasoline, 350 US gallons (1,300 L) of oil, 86 tires, 12 batteries and nine new seats.

I'm most impressed by the last item. I've put 780,000km (487,000mi) on the truck I currently drive at work and so far I have worn and had to replace the rubber on the clutch pedal at least three times (despite not using the clutch to shift 99% of the time). Wearing through three rubber pads with your foot is one thing....but wearing out nine seats with your rump deserves some sort of medal.

Regrettably many motorcyclists can be what I refer to as "Motorcycle Snobs". I know many of them. Some of us go through times when Family commitments dictate that Motorcycling takes a back seat. Many folks sell their big bikes . Motorcycling is abandoned. I do not agree with this attitude.

I went through such hard times. The big bike had to go, but in my situation it was replaced by a little Kawasaki KH100. I did lots on that little bike, almost as much as I would have done on the big ones. In short, it did the business, and I was never ashamed to be seen on it. I do know however that I was no longer taken seriously among some of my Motorcycling colleagues who were able to keep their big bikes. That was sad, especially as I never stopped riding, and am now fortunate to have a small collection of bikes. Sadly some of those colleagues have disappeared from Motorcycling . Some came back but couldn't hack it.

My point ? Small bikes are good. A fellow countryman has travelled from Alaska to Patagonia on a Honda C90. He was clearly better equipped for such a trip than many fellow travellers who he passed on the road ( in the same direction ) and were riding BIG trail bikes. If I were to do a World trip in the morning, it would not be on a 1200 this or that , but preferably on a single cylinder something , no greater than 500cc. The NC could do the job, but even it is too heavy for such a trip and lacking ground clearance. Just some thoughts........

The lighter bikes are easier to handle in the dirt, and the heavier bikes give a whole lot more comfortable ride on the pavement. The middle size adventure bikes give and lose a little of both worlds, but they can do both. Not the perfect answer to either world, but can live in both.

He had one thing that really helped him on his trip, he spoke "latin". So, many languages are based on latin, that it will take you a lot of places.

Interesting to see Jim Rogers and Evan McGregor on the list . impressive!

Before the 1960's the long distance record was held by a 2 cycle Vespa 180cc at a little over 25,000 miles in one trip. The little Vespa could run top speed of 75 mph.

Today a 1980 Honda Goldwing holds the record at 457,000 miles with a top speed of 112 mph.

List of long-distance motorcycle riders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just goes to show you can ride anything around the world, if you want to.

Was that the old wing at the HU meet we saw?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

No doubt that its long trip with the 180cc Vespa its amazing to me that too much longer trip may be in the next month I will go for the road trip..

Back